x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Dead Battery On MobilePro 700

Doc T River
Doc T River Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 2:58 PM
#
Many years ago, I bought a MobilePro 700, but I was not able to take full advantage of it due to being unable to connect it with the desktop I had at the time. As a result, I stopped using it and it has sat undisturbed on a closet shelf.

With the pending release of the second generation of Razorbook 400, my interest in small form factor portable computers has been rekindled and my thoughts turned to my 700. It has been in the closet all these years dead and with the batteries still in. I would like to bring it back to life, but this raises concerns.

Am I in any danger from the batteries being dead, but still in? Which battery do I take out first? The watch type battery or the two disposable batteries? Are there any other things I should be concerned with?

Thank you in advance to all that respond. Thanks also to those behind this site.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I don't think there is any danger. Replacing the coin and disposal batteries is all you need to do.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 3:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Doc

Since all the batteries are dead...it doesn't matter which you remove first.

When you put the new batteries in, put the two disposable batteries in first and then the watch type battery.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, Rich Hawley is definitely the expert on this model.

From his website, hpcnec.com, it looks like the main batteries are just plain ol' AA batteries. The backup is a CR2032 lithium watch battery, which is not a rechargable variant.

At this time, barring leakage damage, all the batteries are long dead.
 Top of the page
Doc T River
Doc T River Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 3:57 PM
#
hmascience - 2008-09-08 2:32 PM

From his website, hpcnec.com, it looks like the main batteries are just plain ol' AA batteries. The backup is a CR2032 lithium watch battery, which is not a rechargable variant.

Due to the chance of leakage, I guess I should wear rubber gloves and lay out a garbage bag to protect the surface I set the 700 on. Agree?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 5:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Doc T River - 2008-09-08 3:57 PM

hmascience - 2008-09-08 2:32 PM

Due to the chance of leakage, I guess I should wear rubber gloves and lay out a garbage bag to protect the surface I set the 700 on. Agree?

Sure, but don't worry about it too much. A damp rag will clean up any mess that falls out. The mess inside might be a different issue.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 6:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not to sidetrack the topic...but I remember when the MP700's (the rarest of all Mobilepros) were selling for around $200 long after the 900 came out.... Nice machine to be sure.

Rich
 Top of the page
Doc T River
Doc T River Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 9:14 PM
#
I bought it from NEC directly, but I believe at the time the current model was the 750. I don't remember how much I paid though.

I was pretty impressed by the machine at the time and I still am. Just would have been nice if I could have synced the 700 with the desktop computer at the time.

I still fondly think of the looks people would give me as I was out and about using the 700.

And Rich, sidetrack my posts anytime you want.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.219 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11