x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USB cable for a nec 880?

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 5:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How do I hook my 880 up to my notebook? I have been transferring data files using a pcmcia adapter. I just bought a wifi card for it and need to install the drivers from my notebook. How can I do it?

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 7:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You don't necessarily need to connect the 880 to the PC to load the WiFi driver - you can just put the MIPS H/PC Pro CAB file on a CF card and install it from the CAB. However, if you're looking for the sync cable, the same cable works for all of the following devices: NEC 770, 780, 790, 800, and 880, and also the Casio A series and PA series of H/PCs (eg, A-10, PA-2400W, etc). You can search for the sync cable for any of these devices to find the one you need.
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks! I just figured out that the strange cable that has been sitting in my drawer all this time is a serial sync cable! Is there a usb one for this? I have seen a usb cable that has two identical ends on it, the thin ones as found on the back of computers- I think they are called male to male. Can I use this?

Also, how do I put the cab files on the card? The driver file is an exe file. When I double click on it, it tries to install on my notebook.

Edited by pengyou 2008-09-11 8:03 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-12 4:12 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The 880's USB port is host only. That means it can't be used to sync the 880 to a PC. What I (and many others) do is get a serial-to-USB adapter to connect to the NEC sync cable.

It's fine to run the installer .exe file on the PC without the 880 connected. That should place the CAB files somewhere in \Program Files on the PC (usually \Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync).
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2008-09-12 7:45 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Ohhhhhh are you talking about putting the cab files from activesync on the card? or some kind of files from the wifi driver?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-09-12 9:42 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

He means you run the wifi install program and normally it will create the CAB file you need in a folder, normally the name of the wifi card. That folder is in the C:\program files\microsoft activesync folder. Then you can just drag the driver to a CF card and transfer it to your 880 that way. Tap on it and install it afterwards. Normally MIPS files are identified with the word mips, but might have the CPU identifier, something like 4000.
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2008-10-04 1:02 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

pengyou - 2008-09-11 4:52 PM

Thanks! I just figured out that the strange cable that has been sitting in my drawer all this time is a serial sync cable! Is there a usb one for this?

Not so much, though a USB to Serial adapter should work just fine.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9