x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do I treat my battery?

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 7:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I just got two new batteries for my nec880. I called the store that sold them and they told me that it was best to let the batteries drain as far as possible before recharging them. I double checked with the battery - it is Lithium ion.

I thought Li-ion batteries did not have the problem with recharging. Who is right?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 7:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Li-ion batteries like frequent charges. It's perfectly fine (and maybe better) to top them up while they're still half-full or so.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 8:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
After years of endless agonizing over battery treatment, hoarding a final total of FIVE batteries for my J-720, I realize it was pretty much for naught. Despite my care and research, none of them are as strong as they used to be since they're all more than five years old now. It doesn't really make a difference since I've got FIVE (where was my mind?).

Pengyou, if you have two batteries, my only advice would be to alternate them in your usage, but other than that, they'll either outlast your interest in the machine or they'll age out of the system because of their own natural life span.

Battery calibration and care are important, but less so as your number of batteries increases. Li-ons are tough, and you're already properly babying them by swapping them in and out.

Jake
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's a problem for collectors like me. I can't use them all. Eventually, most of them will die with time flying.
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 11:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks! I will swap them. I have already labeled them to help me keep track.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-09-12 9:44 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I bought a brand new battery for my 900 about 4 years ago and charged it completely. I never used it, and this summer I plugged it in and found it still had a decent charge left. And it recharged full fine again. So I just don't worry about them myself. I charge'em up, put them on the shelf and forget about them till the time I need them.

Rich
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-09-12 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Probably more sweat is lost babying them than to just go for it and pick up the pieces (or buy a replacement) later.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10