x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Unusual wireless access problem?

SteveC Page Icon Posted 2005-05-22 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a MobilePro 780. I recently acquired an Enterasys RoamAbout wireless card with drivers, but have been unable to connect to any Internet websites.

I'm pretty sure that the Windows SP1 has been installed ( <Control Panel> <System><System> returns "Microsoft Windows CE, Handheld PC Edition Version 3.01).

I did a hard reset and installed the NEC Service Pack.

I installed the 128 bit Encryption.

I deleted schannel.dll and installed the version from NEC's website.

I installed the drivers I received with the card (from an Ebay seller). I insert the wireless card, and the RoamAbout Client software loads, and after a few seconds the graph on the taskbar lights up numerous bars *Green*, indicating connection with the Access Point (D-Link DI-614+ ). When I double click the bar graph, the RoamAbout Client opens, and shows that I am connected to my wireless connection (Network ID matches the SSID of the AP), it indicates an "Excellent" connection, the channel # matches my AP, it indicates encryption is "OFF" (I disabled encryption on the AP for testing purposes), and the SNR graph (signal strength???) shows 3/4 scale or better.

I installed vxUtil. vxUtil shows that the MP780 has successfully received an IP address from the AP. The address shown matches the IP address that the Access Point shows was issued to the MAC address of the wireless card. I can use vxUtil to successfully ping the AP, a notebook computer that is also wirelessly connected to the same AP, the router, and can even ping the IP address of a local ISP (204.177.184.10).

I can open Pocket Internet Explorer on the HP780. I can access the D-Link Access Point set-up page (192.168.0.1). I can even access the notebook computer (by entering \\notebook\ in the address bar). If I enter the IP address of the local ISP (204.177.184.10), I get a "Forbidden, you don't have permission to access / on this server. Apache/1.3.26 server at k2.Iserv.net Port 80" message as the webpage (Iserv is the name of the ISP). (Note, I am connecting on Comcast Cable, I just happen to know the IP address of Iserv so I use that for testing connection to the internet.)

The problem is that any page I try to access by typing the URL in the Address Bar (i.e. http://www.google.com ), the E-globe symbol spins for about 20 seconds, then I get a pop-up message: "The Internet site 'www.google.com' could not be found. Please verify that the address is correct and try again."

I'm lost. Everything indicates to me that the card is talking to the Access Point correctly, and can even get out to the internet, but I cannot get a valid web page to load for the life of me.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks!

Steve
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-22 5:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

is dns correctly setup? can you ping not only an IP address but a domain name also? google.com is a good example.
is proxy server disabled in IE on the mobilepro?
can you download your emails or is the problem not only with IE?
i can't think of anything else now.

Edited by cmonex 2005-05-22 5:17 PM
 Top of the page
SteveC Page Icon Posted 2005-05-22 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Bingo!

DNS had to be set up with my router (not the wireless Access Point) as a DNS. I assumed that DHCP would handle that, just like in my notebook. The "Name Server" tab of the ethernet driver settings even says "Name server addresses may be automatically assigned if DHCP is enabled on this adapter. You can specify additional WINS or DNS resolvers in the space provided."

Live and learn.

Now I just need to get my hands on a 790 ROM upgrade. Anyone?

Thanks cmonex!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-22 7:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'm glad it worked!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9