x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro soft reset issues

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-24 5:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I couldn't resist picking up a Netbook Pro for $80 on eBay recently. Seemed like a pretty good price, but at the moment I'm wondering if "you get what you pay for" applies. For the first several days, whenever I had to soft reset, all the settings remained as I had set them, but all of a sudden, since a few days ago, every time I soft reset, it dumps the following things:

a) the owner info;

b) the sound scheme I created and saved;

c) the display settings;

d) the Device ID I've assigned to it (for ActiveSync); and

e) all the .unload files from \Windows (so that nothing shows in the "Remove Programs" dialog)

It also no longer recognizes that I've installed .NET CF 2.0 on the device (even though the files are still in \Windows), and it won't power on my WiFi card, even though the driver files still appear to be there. There may be other things I haven't identified. A hard reset didn't solve the problem; I tried manually re-inputting a) through d) after a hard reset and then soft resetting (without doing any restore in the process), and it dumped everything I input again. I'm wondering if there's a persistent registry issue, since it reminds me of the issues I had with the SIMPad I had for just a few days last month. That's just a stab in the dark, though. Anyone else have an idea what's going on?

BTW, I suspect I don't have the most recent ROM image on it, but I'm not sure. The only info I can find are the WinCE, PCon, and BooSt date codes (H264q, H244q, and G094g, respectively).

Edited by CE Geek 2008-09-24 5:22 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-24 4:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I forgot to say that the soft resets are definitely wiping out at least some registry changes. I confirmed this by manually changing a couple of file association settings in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. After soft reset, these registry keys reverted back to the default values.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 4:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, this is getting weirder by the minute. I reflashed the Netbook Pro with the latest ROM image (-404), and tried the same thing (setting the display, owner info, and Device ID), and all that was again lost after soft reset. (I even let the NB Pro sit powered off for several hours before turning it back on and soft resetting, recalling that that allowed registry changes I made on my SIMpad to be retained after a soft reset.) Worse, all the WAV files, including those in ROM, play strangely (sounding kind of broken).

Looks so far like everyone else here is as stumped as I am.
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 7:32 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Weird!! Just a stab in the dark but could it be that the backup batteries are dead? I'm thinking about getting a netbook pro myself but from PULSTER.de. You didn't happen to get yours from this guy http://cgi.ebay.com/TEKLOGIX-PSION-NETBOOK-PRO-MOBILE-TABLET-PC_W0QQitemZ220284194579QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220284194579&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Also check this thread: http://www.expansys.de/ft.aspx?k=17998 , specifically the 3rd post by Sancho.

Cheers
SainT

Edited by Half-Saint 2008-09-25 7:36 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 2:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, I replaced the backup batteries (though it took me a while to figure out that they're behind a panel under the base of the display). Same symptoms before and after said battery replacement.

Yes, that's the seller (but not the same item). I followed all the directions given in the forum post that you cite - they were included in the readme.txt file.

Edited by CE Geek 2008-09-25 2:20 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

my netbook pro has no such issues... though i usually use warmboot.exe to reboot.

the reset hole I only use if it hard freezes or want to fully reboot the system (note, that is not a hardreset).

how are you doing the reset?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 3:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've done both ways: pin in hole on some occasions, software soft reset on other occasions through ResInfo. Same result in both cases.
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 4:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Damn.. tried reseating the memory and flash rom module? I'm really just guessing here but it sounds like a serious issue.

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 5:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It doesn't look like the NB Pro fully factory reset when I removed the main and backup batteries (nor after I reflashed the ROM) - weirdly enough, I'm still seeing a couple of remnants of stuff I installed before the reflash. For example, prior to the reflash I installed CTCursors. NET and selected an alternative cursor to the spinning hourglass - and that alternative cursor is still showing up instead of the spinning hourglass. Also, when I open Geared2003's HPC Media Player (which was installed to the SD card) just now, the GAPI for HPCs logo appears, and video flow is fine (actually better than it was before). (Sound is also fine in that program - only WAV audio appears to have been affected.)

I left both batteries out for less than a minute before reinstalling them. Right now I'm leaving them out longer in hopes of fully clearing RAM. I don't recall for sure - is there a built-in secondary backup battery in the Netbook Pro?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 6:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

it will not fully reset just by removing the batteries - it has persistent registry, yes, like the simpad.

to clear registry, simply delete the documents and settings thing in the flashdisk. (it contains system.hv etc., that's the saved registry)

not sure yet what if you manage to f*ckup the registry so hard it won't boot, perhaps reflash clears the flash disk too. I've yet to test that =P but going to, as I finally have the device here with me (not at home often lately)

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-25 6:08 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-25 6:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Half-Saint - 2008-09-25 10:50 PM

Damn.. tried reseating the memory and flash rom module? I'm really just guessing here but it sounds like a serious issue.

Cheers
SainT

there is nothing to reseat, this is not a jornada
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 12:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You've confirmed my suspicions, cmonex - about the registry, hard reset process, and whether RAM reseating is an option. (Plus I finally looked under the other panel next to the AAA backup batteries, and there you are - two watch batteries soldered in place.)

As I recall, there were two .hv files in the root directory (one of which I vaguely recall as system.hv). I did delete those before the most recent hard reset attempt. No files were visible in \Flash Disk\Documents and Settings (of course the files could be hidden from view). I'll try deleting the folder. (What if I want to create a persistent registry after I finish reinstalling everything? Can I just create the folder again with the same name? )

EDIT: Further review determined that the .hv files I mentioned deleting above were associated with backup profiles I had created (they were named 092208_system.hv and 092208_user.hv). It won't let me delete the \Documents and Settings folder in the flash disk, nor will it let me delete any of its contents first. If I rename \Documents and Settings and soft reset, it just creates a new \Documents and Settings folder with the default settings, so I still lose whatever settings I save before doing this.

Edited by CE Geek 2008-09-26 1:19 AM
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 2:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek: Checked the voltage in those two soldered batteries yet?

Cmonex: I know it's not a jornada and I don't know much about NBP so I was just guessing. I know that the old NB had a personality module you could swap.

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 3:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

- to make it think it's an NEC 900C?

I don't have a voltmeter at the moment. I've just barely learned how to use a soldering iron without melting half the room.
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 3:23 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hehe, just curious what's the overall condition of the Netbook you recieved? Considering the price I might just order one from this guy. Did he include a stylus?

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.406 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 12