x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro soft reset issues

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 3:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It actually is in pretty good condition overall - and before this issue surfaced, it was working perfectly. (And yes, the stylus was included.)
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 3:38 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Great, now I just have to figure out how to charge the battery without the original charger! I'm also a bit worried about the battery.

Edited by Half-Saint 2008-09-26 3:41 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 3:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Mine didn't come with a charger either - but see this thread:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13026&posts=4&start=1
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 11:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Half-Saint - 2008-09-26 8:56 AM

CE Geek: Checked the voltage in those two soldered batteries yet?

Cmonex: I know it's not a jornada and I don't know much about NBP so I was just guessing. I know that the old NB had a personality module you could swap.

Cheers
SainT

hehe, i see you are well versed in psion matters
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 11:49 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-09-26 6:23 AM

You've confirmed my suspicions, cmonex - about the registry, hard reset process, and whether RAM reseating is an option. (Plus I finally looked under the other panel next to the AAA backup batteries, and there you are - two watch batteries soldered in place.)

As I recall, there were two .hv files in the root directory (one of which I vaguely recall as system.hv). I did delete those before the most recent hard reset attempt. No files were visible in \Flash Disk\Documents and Settings (of course the files could be hidden from view). I'll try deleting the folder. (What if I want to create a persistent registry after I finish reinstalling everything? Can I just create the folder again with the same name? )

EDIT: Further review determined that the .hv files I mentioned deleting above were associated with backup profiles I had created (they were named 092208_system.hv and 092208_user.hv). It won't let me delete the \Documents and Settings folder in the flash disk, nor will it let me delete any of its contents first. If I rename \Documents and Settings and soft reset, it just creates a new \Documents and Settings folder with the default settings, so I still lose whatever settings I save before doing this.

1. the Documents and Settings is used by the system, the current registry is always stored there. it will always create the .hv files there, if they are missing. and of course if they are missing, that forces a reinit of the registry, so it will load the default registry from rom into the flash disk. this explains what you experienced, i hope. (900c v3.0 rom will have same feature in addition to persistent file system too.)
2. i havent seen any watch batteries in mine, and i've never heard of this feature, care to post a pic? in any case that'll be irrelevant to the persistent registry.

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-26 11:51 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 4:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

But you said to delete it. How do I delete it if it's in use all the time?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 8:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

More specifically, is there a process I can terminate safely (eg, using iTaskMgr) that uses these files, so they'll be available to delete?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-26 11:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-09-26 10:29 PM

But you said to delete it. How do I delete it if it's in use all the time?

eh, I meant rename. though, I'm spoiled by 900c, where if I want to do this (for the rom v3.0! that has persistent hive registry), I can just boot a RAM OS that doesn't use hive registry, then just delete it from disk.. heh maybe we can do same for netbook pro

and what is using it? filesys.exe, you can't terminate that, or if you do, system is out =)

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-26 11:59 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-27 5:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I figured it was filesys.exe that's using it.

If the persistent registry is like in the SIMpad, then the settings you created should be retained if the device is left in suspend mode for a few minutes, shouldn't they? Figuring this, I renamed the Documents and Settings folder, changed some settings, suspended the Netbook Pro for about an hour, turned it back on, and soft reset. Same result - everything went back to default.

So I had another thought - what if I do the following:

1) create a backup profile;

2) rename Documents and Settings;

3) create a new Documents and Settings folder in \Flash Disk, and a subfolder \Documents and Settings\default;

4) copy the backup system.hv into the new Documents and Settings folder, renaming it to system.hv;

5) copy the backup user.hv file into the subfolder \Flash Disk\Documents and Settings\default, renaming it to user.hv; and

6) soft reset the device?

Two problems with that, though: I notice that both the default system.hv and user.hv files are both exactly 131,072 bytes in size - and the backup .hv files created when I created a backup profile are much smaller. I'm wondering if the .hv files have to be exactly 131,072 bytes each in order to be executed at startup. Also, there is a file named default.mky in the original Documents and Settings folder. What is that file for, and can I just copy it over to the new Documents and Settings folder after renaming the original one?

Edited by CE Geek 2008-09-27 5:43 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-27 8:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-09-27 11:25 AM
Two problems with that, though: I notice that both the default system.hv and user.hv files are both exactly 131,072 bytes in size - and the backup .hv files created when I created a backup profile are much smaller. I'm wondering if the .hv files have to be exactly 131,072 bytes each in order to be executed at startup. Also, there is a file named default.mky in the original Documents and Settings folder. What is that file for, and can I just copy it over to the new Documents and Settings folder after renaming the original one?

no, if the registry grows over that size then it will be bigger...

no idea about .mky, 900c stock rom also has it, so not to do with persistent registry.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-27 8:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

also, I just realized you did not verify you tried warmboot.exe for soft reset.

resinfo might not have the same result. so, go to \windows\warmboot.exe and execute it and see if that helps.

I actually did not have to try saving registry changes without running this program first yet.

by the way, my registry changes stick even after full battery removal, just as it should (persistent).

edit: interesting registry entry under HKLM: regpersisted, it's set to 1 here..

edit2: please post pictures of those watch batteries!! I'm really curious to see them, I dont have them, and I do lose the files if I remove main+AAA batteries!

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-27 8:33 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-27 4:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I didn't find that registry entry in mine. Too bad - that might've been the solution to my problem in the first place.

I've seen the file warmboot.exe in \Windows, but I assumed that that's what software reset commands within third-party apps point to. Okay, tried it (without renaming Documents and Settings, of course, and after leaving the device in suspend mode for a few minutes just to be sure), and it did indeed retain my settings. But that means I have to reset that way every time I make registry changes, doesn't it? It sounds like the registry key you mention above can disable the persistent registry. Can I enter it manually (and if so, I'd need to know the exact location in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and the exact value)?

I'm still left with the WAV file playback quirk in any event. Could that have been corrupted somehow during reflash, or could it possibly be a bug in the latest ROM image?

I'll post a pic of the watch batteries later today if I get a chance to snap a picture. But removing the AAA backup batteries with the main battery still dumps data from RAM - just not sure if it's all the data.
 Top of the page
mying99 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-28 1:03 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

After several months using,I got some expieres for this mechine.

Whenever you changed the system and you want to save ,the first step should shut down the NBP, the second step is warm reset,It's important.Then you will get you want.

All I have got great work on NBP are Socket Bluetooth CF Card,M2000 bluetooth GPS,Symbol CF wifi Card,PCMICA lan Card,GPRS cf card,and CDMA Card......

It's quite great mechine ,the NBP.And this thread sent by NBP.

By the way,this is my thread about NBP. http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=422414&extra=page%3D1&page=1

It's good news for us,Cmonex join in NBP users

Edited by mying99 2008-09-28 1:10 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-28 3:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

mying99 - 2008-09-28 10:03 AM
Whenever you changed the system and you want to save ,the first step should shut down the NBP, the second step is warm reset,It's important.Then you will get you want.

I did do this (see my posts above), but it didn't work when I used the reset button or the software reset feature in ResInfo. Only using \Windows\warmboot.exe worked.
 Top of the page
mying99 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-29 1:38 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

1.shut down NBP
2.shut up NBP
3.reset NBP

By this way,will be fine.

I am still used ResInfo,and never happen the matter you have got.It's just fine work ,by using warmboot of ResInfo.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.226 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10