x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 728 and MS Reader

x71p Page Icon Posted 2008-10-07 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I recently bought a refurbished Jornada 728. When it arrived, it did not have MS Reader installed and it would not let me install it. Infra red didn't work either and I returned it, and got it back with the infra red working, but MS Reader still isn't there. I did a hard reboot and the only basic software installed is MS Office and some HP installed stuff.
Anyone have anything like this happen, and does anyone know of a fix? This is my first HPC and I love it already, except for this issue.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2008-10-07 10:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If by MS Reader you mean the e-book reader, that's a Pocket PC application. It never was included with Jornada 728 as far as I know. Google does show some sites that claim Reader is included, but none of them are official.
 Top of the page
x71p Page Icon Posted 2008-10-07 11:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That is it (The ebook reader). Ok, that would explain it then. I posted a similar inquiry in another help forum on a different site and received some replies saying it was included and some saying it wasn't. For now I guess I am back to asking if there is a way to install it on my 728. Some of my ebooks are not the secure type, so I can convert those ebooks to Adobe. I have several that are secure and require activated MS Reader. Thanks for the information.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 12:07 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It is possible to install MS Reader using the CAB file that ActiveSync placed in \Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Microsoft Reader for Pocket PC on the PC (copy the CAB file onto the 728 and then double-tap on it on the 728 to install it from there). However, I'm not aware offhand of anyone actually getting it to work on the 720/728. You can try it, though. Unless I'm mistaken, the installer supplies all the needed DLL files except aygshell.dll (which is natively on Pocket PCs but not H/PCs). You can try the ARM aygshell.dll files from cmonex' site:

http://www.hpcmonex.net/izemize.htm
 Top of the page
x71p Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 2:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know if I can get it to work,
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 9:44 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have MSReader installed on my J720. It does work, but it doesn't look very good. The version I found wasn't configured for the screen on the J720.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 9:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

What about the version on Henri's site...I thought that worked fine on the J72X...

Rich
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 1:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

If you are referring to the link CEGeek provided above, I don't see MSReader. I got mine from the DT375 fansite. Do you know of another source?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 1:35 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

henri's site is: http://yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx
it does host ms reader modified for jornada but i havent checked out how well it runs.

Edited by cmonex 2008-10-08 1:36 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 2:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It runs great! Just not on the 900C....awwww
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 2:51 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

That version was not optimized for the J720 screen. It works, but the menus are all cut off at the bottom. In the Settings menu only the top option is visible. The rest is off the screen.

I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one I had before.

Edited by Nate the great 2008-10-08 2:52 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 2:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Maybe the off-screen menus can be accessed using WinWatch.
 Top of the page
tehpwnedlife3 Page Icon Posted 2008-10-09 7:14 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm using Mobipocket Pro version 4.8 build 413 and It works great on my Jornada 720!
Here's a link to it: http://www.mobipocket.com/soft/reader5/mobireader_hpc.arm.cab

Edited by tehpwnedlife3 2008-10-09 7:17 AM
 Top of the page
x71p Page Icon Posted 2008-10-10 2:26 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I did get MS Reader installed, it was recognized, but when I tried to open a book, it crashed and locked up. I tried it a couple more times after soft re-sets. and it did the same thing. When I tried copying some fixes, I would open a folder, then it would close the folder and lock up. I finally uninstalled it and I am starting over.
 Top of the page
x71p Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 4:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well I did finally get it to work, but as described in a couple of posts here, the menus are cut off and it doesn't fit quite right on the screen. It is very slow also, but it does work. Thanks for the suggestions,

Edited by x71p 2008-10-11 4:43 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 15