x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New Web Brower

1 2
sptster1200 Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 6:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm writing this post using RedGear with Opera 8.65. I'm appreciative of the efforts of Alpaxo software. He has done a lot for HPC2000. But there is serious issues with Opera 8.65 in that it doesn't support Java. What we really need is a new browser replacement for ie4.0. One in which we have full capabilities of downloading and using web based mail. In seeing the price come down on Jornada's, from $99 - $170 on ebay, I think people will start snatching up these little gems. As such, a good software developer could make a mint in designing a new and improved browser for CE 3.0 based machines.
 Top of the page
rgisondi Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 6:56 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Netfront 3.3 supports java. But I prefer Opera.

May be that with a little more effort redgear could make also IE 5.5 work on HPC2000 ARM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 9:24 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Unfortunately, writing a web browser is one of the most monumental tasks in software development (well beyond the years of work that went into RedGear). Java is one of those things that doesn't seem to be in too much demand; none of the newer browsers for Windows Mobile (Opera, Iris, Skyfire) seem to support it. It seems that most sites are moving to flash.
 Top of the page
sptster1200 Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Opera is o.k., but my main problem is that the browser will not allow downloads or attachments from web based mail. There has to be a solution out there. These little computers are just too nice to be left behind. HPC's are a much better design than any mobile phone and are more portable than any other notebook. Makes me wonder what was going through Microsoft's mind when the abadoned this machine.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2008-10-08 11:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The solution to your problem is linux and firefox.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2008-10-09 12:59 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Downloads are some problem with RedGear compatibility that I hope is resolved in a future version of RedGear. (When run on Windows Mobile, Opera can download files fine.)

Right now, Linux has some issues that make it unsuitable for average users. However, assuming these are fixed, CE and Linux have opposing problems. The Jornada's CE 3.0 is closed source and aging, whereas Linux is open source and updated; in theory this should be an advantage. However, a good portion of the mobile development is done for Windows CE (Windows Mobile) while relatively little is done on Linux without using a non-standard system (Android, Maemo). The end result is that trying to run full desktop programs on Linux has problems (UI too big, not enough RAM) and is just generally slow, because it isn't optimized for the kind of device it's running on.

I try to fix this by allowing old versions of CE to run new Windows Mobile software, to get the best of both worlds (or as much as possible). And it seems successful; on a Jornada 720 at least, Opera 8.65 roundly beats the speed of Firefox on Linux. If Maemo/Android apps can be made to work on JLime, then it would be very nice too.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-09 1:53 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

isotherm - 2008-10-09 12:59 AM

while relatively little is done on Linux without using a non-standard system (Android, Maemo).

How is Maemo a "non-standard system?"
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-10-09 2:53 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Looks like Firefox for WM will be here in next few weeks... Fingers crossed it can be made to work on our devices to give another option.

John
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2008-10-09 8:29 AM
#
H/PC Elite

They're non-standard because they're (presently) designed for specific hardware. You can't just take MicroB (Maemo browser) and run it on JLime for example; it depends on all its own specialized versions of GTK, etc. And even if you could run it, it has the UI design problem again - it's designed for tablet size screens. So until someone ports it to work on other devices at other screen sizes, it's effectively non-standard.

Let's hope Firefox for WM is nicer than Minimo was. I think it has a chance, given the speedup between FF2 and FF3 on desktop.
 Top of the page
fijibird Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 2:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I can no longer access my work email since they upgraded the front end on the internet site. POP3 is not an option. What easy upgrade can I make to the IE4 broswer to improve web browsing? I see discussion of Redgear, and watched the YouTube video about it, but how do I get that running?

Are there other upgrades available for a basic user such as myself?
Thank you!
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 4:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I haven't been able to get Opera 8.65 to install properly thus far on my 728 - it won't install the image files after installing the rest of the program.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 5:31 PM
#
H/PC Elite

If you're trying to install into RAM, do you have enough space free? It needs 5MB or so.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 8:42 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, I was installing to the CF card.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2008-11-24 12:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I was unable to install to CF on my 720 (which has a 728 rom). The installation also failed part way through. I had to install to RAM to get it to work. There are instructions on the web about how to move some of the files to CF after installing to RAM. I haven't done it yet, but plan to. There has been no hurry because I haven't had any memory issues having it in RAM.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 19