x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My own forthcoming Custom Rom.

Dan Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 9:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

After lots of unsatisfactory attempts with backup tools I finally made up my mind and started to study the Cmonex guide to build my own Custom Rom, which will be built on the Cmonex v2 Rom. Changes and pictures showing how it will appear follow:

Software on rom:

Backy back up
pTravel Alarm
HPC Net profile
HPC media player
Gapi 4.02
Opera
Flash plug-in
TRE
CE Agenda
Dominoes and checkers
Storage Tools
Hard reset utility
MemMaid
Resco Explorer
Resco Photo Viewer

and some other software which will remain from the Custom Rom v2 (see pictures).

Software on internal disk:

SoftMaker Office 2006
Acrobat Reader
GTS Racing
xWord CE
Vegas Pool Sharks

System changes:

Auto turn off-disabled
Suspen automatically when LCD lid is closed-disabled.
Hpc Media Player: Italian language, set up file association and "keep playlist" disabled.
Pnpd of the Built-in card.
Added: cemapi.dll, chngtrk.dll, and ossvcs.dll.
Mouse GWES.

Other:

Hpc Net Profile, Sound Widget, and RemapKey links added to "Start Up" folder.

Edited by Dan 2008-10-11 9:52 AM

(Screen001.jpg)

(Screen002.jpg)

(Screen003.jpg)

(Screen004.jpg)

(Screen005.jpg)

(Screen006.jpg)

(Screen007.jpg)

(Screen008.jpg)

(Screen009.jpg)

(Screen010.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screen001.jpg (25KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments Screen002.jpg (46KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Screen003.jpg (56KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Screen004.jpg (48KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Screen005.jpg (52KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Screen006.jpg (57KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Screen007.jpg (60KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Screen008.jpg (55KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Screen009.jpg (58KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments Screen010.jpg (56KB - 3 downloads)
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Good job!
 Top of the page
tomboyed Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 1:02 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I am looking forward for this excellent custom rom!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 1:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Customizing your own rom is very satisfying...I've done it with many the same programs you did. However, remember that you can't redistribute it to others if your's contains commericial software....

Rich
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 2:15 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2008-10-11 12:58 PM
However, remember that you can't redistribute it to others if your's contains commericial software....

Rich

You took the words right out of my mouth. I see plenty of commercial software in it. Otherwise it looks great. Too bad my 900c died long ago.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Dan Page Icon Posted 2008-10-11 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Rich Hawley - 2008-10-11 7:58 PM

Customizing your own rom is very satisfying...I've done it with many the same programs you did. However, remember that you can't redistribute it to others if your's contains commericial software....

Rich

Guys, the distribution of my rom wasn't originally decided..just wanted to share my new system setup.
Anyway I thought I could make two versions of the same rom. The second one would have the same software but in trial mode, so that users who like certain programs would be able to buy licenses for them.

But I'm still not sure about this possibility..I really don't want Resco to knock on my door..

Edited by Dan 2008-10-11 2:56 PM
 Top of the page
dsa
dsa Page Icon Posted 2008-10-14 1:16 AM
#
Dan -

Great work! I'd like to know more about how to achieve these things w/my 900c, or leads on where to find any other available ROMs, etc...

I can see great potential for this machine, but so far can't tap it... thought it would be great for viewing electrical blueprints in the field, for instance, but get "insufficient memory" notice trying to view even a 1MB .pdf
I converted them to JPEGs, but still can't view them at 100% size.

...and that's only the latest example: I thought CE4.2 was supposed to be the equivalent of PPC3 - but I can't seem to successfully install any such app's - mp3 player, image editor... even freecell!

The internet - I'd like to know how people are doing that... I don't see too many CE drivers out there for any hardware (USB modems, printers, etc...) How are folks negotiating this?

Last, I've always liked the DOS/Win3.1 "RAMDISK" program: Is there no way to utilize space on CF card as system memory / swap file?

From custom ROM to tech info and software, I'd appreciate all anyone would like to offer: I'll check in here, of course, and if so motivated you could always email to "dsadesign@netzero.com"

Thanks, all!

-David

Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-14 1:31 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

dsa - 2008-10-14 1:16 AM
Last, I've always liked the DOS/Win3.1 "RAMDISK" program: Is there no way to utilize space on CF card as system memory / swap file?

I think you're looking for something like virtual memory, not a ramdisk. Ramdisks allowed you to use system memory as temporary "hard" storage, whereas one of the "features" of virtual memory is that it uses "hard" storage devices to be able to allocate more memory than is physically present.

However, IMHO I don't think this "feature" would work too well on handheld devices, simply because it would make things seem slower than they already are (RAM is always faster than "hard" storage devices). Also given the low amount of memory a lot of handheld PCs have, I would think there would be a lot of thrashing going on when the user starts open large documents and whatnot.

That's my 2 cents.

Edited by mscdex 2008-10-14 1:32 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-10-14 2:38 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Two more cents from me: I don't like the idea of putting trial versions of programs in ROM - you can't get rid of it if you don't want to buy it (without, of course, reflashing the ROM).
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-14 4:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ahh very nice I'm happy to see people are using the romkitchen

this also makes me pick up rom cooking again, and release v3 nice to see people are still interested.

Edited by cmonex 2008-10-14 4:41 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-14 4:40 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

dsa - 2008-10-14 7:16 AM

Dan -

Great work! I'd like to know more about how to achieve these things w/my 900c, or leads on where to find any other available ROMs, etc...

I can see great potential for this machine, but so far can't tap it... thought it would be great for viewing electrical blueprints in the field, for instance, but get "insufficient memory" notice trying to view even a 1MB .pdf
I converted them to JPEGs, but still can't view them at 100% size.

...and that's only the latest example: I thought CE4.2 was supposed to be the equivalent of PPC3 - but I can't seem to successfully install any such app's - mp3 player, image editor... even freecell!

The internet - I'd like to know how people are doing that... I don't see too many CE drivers out there for any hardware (USB modems, printers, etc...) How are folks negotiating this?

From custom ROM to tech info and software, I'd appreciate all anyone would like to offer: I'll check in here, of course, and if so motivated you could always email to "dsadesign@netzero.com"

Thanks, all!

-David

1) use adobe to read PDF's, no problem then.

2) flash my custom rom v2 (currently only one as an alternative to stock roms), then you'll be able to run freecell etc. (not all WM2003 programs, but a lot more than with stock rom)

3) see hpcfactor.com/hcl for drivers I use sierra aircard 750 for HSDPA internet (if you are in the USA then you need 860 model), and senao wlan card for wifi. (but i have a backup wifi card if i need 54mbps internet)

4) no swapfile, sorry.

5) to see how to make roms and flash other roms (my custom roms (v2 is recommended, v1 is old), stock cenet, hpc2000 downgrade, RAM OS images, etc): hpcmonex.net

Edited by cmonex 2008-10-14 4:43 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-10-14 6:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

We're also looking forward to a custom ROM for the Psion Netbook Pro.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-14 6:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Don't confuse her...we've been hearing about v3 now for months....I'm beginning to think it is vaporware....

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-10-14 6:34 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-10-15 2:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Bite your tongue, Rich.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 51 - Executed queries : 30