x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Restore Points on MobilePro 900c

Dan Page Icon Posted 2008-10-23 10:32 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I finally found a program which does what I want. It's Clone by SPB. While it should be used to avoid installing same software on several devices, I found it's useful to create restore points as well.

It's pretty unique in what it does. I believe this is the first and only program which lets you create real restore points on Windows CE/Windows Mobile devices. In fact using a normal backup tool (e.g. Bsquare, Backy and others) you cannot achieve similar results.

For example if you installed some software which messed up your system but before you had created a restore point using SPB Clone, then you can restore the system state as it was. In fact SPB Clone will delete all the software which was installed after the restore point was created. Other backup tools will restore backed up files but won't delete programs/files installed after the creation of the backup.

SPB Clone has an other nice feature too. It can save the Start/Programs set up as well wheter it is changed in the Windows/Programs folder. It can restore the Start/Programs set up even after a hard reset while both Backy and BsquareBackup will keep memory of the added files but not of the delated ones.

Anyway this program is intended more to create restore points instead of backup files as it won't let you create/restore
partial backup like database/files or system registry only..
It works out of the box on Cmonex Rom v.2 but I found that with some executabilitycheck editing works even better:

noteprj -> notepr2
mfcce300 -> mfcce301
aygshell -> aygsheld

It requires manual soft reset during both create/restore processes.

Edited by Dan 2008-10-23 10:45 AM

(Screen001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screen001.jpg (18KB - 3 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-10-23 1:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'm confused Dan, how is Clone different than doing this:

1. Backup your device before installing new software.
2. If the new software doesn't work right, then hard reset your device.
3. Reinstall your backup.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-10-23 1:05 PM
 Top of the page
Dan Page Icon Posted 2008-10-23 1:33 PM
#
H/PC Elite

That's a good point Rich.
I should have emphasized more the feature of preserving the changed Start/Programs/ setup. I deeply changed it, as you can see on my thread about my own forthcoming custom rom. And, as both Backy and Bsquare don't take care of changed Start/Programs/ (aka Windows/Programs/) setups, untill my new rom is ready (if that will ever be) Clone is essential.

Clone made me even consider the possibility of not making the custom rom..even with all those programs (see my custom rom thread) installed over the Cmonex rom I have a lot of free space..

Edit: Also, the possibility of restoring a system point in a few seconds w/o having to hard reset and then use other software is a good feature.

Edited by Dan 2008-10-23 1:40 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-24 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dan - 2008-10-23 4:32 PM

It works out of the box on Cmonex Rom v.2 but I found that with some executabilitycheck editing works even better:

noteprj -> notepr2
mfcce300 -> mfcce301
aygshell -> aygsheld

I am interested about this mfc change. does it work better compared to if you only edit noteprj and aygshell? i.e. you do not change mfcce300 to 301.

I'm asking because the kernel in my rom is customized (yeah I inserted quite a few lines of custom code I wrote) to auto select and load the correct version of mfc for programs. I tested that on several programs (including widcomm driver and other programs that don't even import aygshell, so much harder to detect if they are hpc or ppc programs), but of course if there is any remaining bugs I want to hear about it.

BTW about the backup software, I don't understand what you meant by the start menu/programs feature, any more detailed explanation?

Edited by cmonex 2008-10-24 2:22 PM
 Top of the page
Dan Page Icon Posted 2008-10-28 7:29 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hey Cmonex. When I ran executabilitycheck on Clone reported some MFCCE300 errors, which were not reported if MFCCE300 was edited to MFCCE301..despite this I didn't see any evident improvements by running the program.
Aygsheld just turned the program in full screen mode...while notepr2 avoided the executabilitycheck reports about Clone to be buggy.

Edited by Dan 2008-10-28 7:31 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-29 1:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dan - 2008-10-28 1:29 PM

Hey Cmonex. When I ran executabilitycheck on Clone reported some MFCCE300 errors, which were not reported if MFCCE300 was edited to MFCCE301..despite this I didn't see any evident improvements by running the program.
Aygsheld just turned the program in full screen mode...while notepr2 avoided the executabilitycheck reports about Clone to be buggy.

okay, you can feel free to ignore execheck when it reports mfc

why? the kernel patch does not affect execheck mfc reports. but it DOES patch the app when it loads, so do not worry.

this is why you did not see improvements after editing with execheck.

Edited by cmonex 2008-10-29 1:54 AM
 Top of the page
Dan Page Icon Posted 2008-10-29 7:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I see the point. Does this kernel patch work the same way with noteprj/notepr2 and other dlls or only with mfc? Just out of curiosity what does it affect changing noteprj to notepr2? thanks
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10