x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

? about PC Ram.

1 2 3 4
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 8:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hello all. I know this isnt HPC related. But I figured some of you would be the Best source of info. My question is about Ram and Heat Sinks. Her goes.
I am building a new PC. A 64 bit system. Using a Socket 754 and a Gigabyte Mobo. The board has 3 ram slots. I have 2, 1GB Crucial ram sticks with copper Heat Sinks installed. I tried placing 2 of the sticks next to each other. Slots 1 and 2. The problem(If any) is that there is only about a gap about the thicknes of a Business card. Is this going to cause a problem? If I took the Heat Sinks off, I would have about 1/8 or so of space between them.
This is a weekend project. Probably wont be done for a couple of months. Financial reasons. Buy what I can afford. When I can afford.

Thanks
Chris
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 8:52 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ESCAPEMAX - 2005-05-24 6:30 AM

Hello all. I know this isnt HPC related. But I figured some of you would be the Best source of info. My question is about Ram and Heat Sinks. Her goes.
I am building a new PC. A 64 bit system. Using a Socket 754 and a Gigabyte Mobo. The board has 3 ram slots. I have 2, 1GB Crucial ram sticks with copper Heat Sinks installed. I tried placing 2 of the sticks next to each other. Slots 1 and 2. The problem(If any) is that there is only about a gap about the thicknes of a Business card. Is this going to cause a problem? If I took the Heat Sinks off, I would have about 1/8 or so of space between them.
This is a weekend project. Probably wont be done for a couple of months. Financial reasons. Buy what I can afford. When I can afford.

Thanks
Chris

Let me just say for a start that the last time I upgraded a PC of my own, the RAM modules did not need any heatsinks (yet!) ... ie 3~4 yrs ago.

If you can get some kind of fan to suck out air from in between that small gap, the rams should be cooler and safer.

... but, are you o/c ? 'cos if not, then the ram should work without the sinks right?
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 10:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Actually, My current PC has them. PC3200 (DDR400) but the Buss is set for 372. So the Board is OC. The Ram is UC(UnderClocked) They look GOOD. And I dont have to worry about wires shorting. They have rolled edges.
The board I am using has an 800FSB with HT. SO it supposed to be 1600Mhz.
The new PC is going to be Desktop. So wires are going to be running past them. I dont know if this is True or not. Sony had a Mobile ES stereo for the car. Had a Copper case. It was supposed to Shield the radio from EM interference.
Maybe I'm just worring about nothing. This going to be my First AMD system that I built. My previous units were PIII and P4.
Thanks for any input.
Chris
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 5:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Consider that heat sinks work by conduction and convection.

In conduction, the direct transfer of heat from one object to another, the memory chip's excess heat is transferred from the RAM chip to the heat sink, wherein it is then transferred by convection to the air.

Disrupt or eliminate the air flow and I don't care how big your heat sink is....something is going to overheat.

I'd rather have a memory chip with good air flow than one with heat sinks and no way to disipate the heat buildup.

On the other hand, air molecules are certainly a lot smaller than a business card, so if you have good air flow from your cooling fans, that may be enough to keep things within operating tolerances.

Rich
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 5:41 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

GO AMD! I'm glad I'm not the only one, as for the sticks, how about putting them in slots 1 and 3 and leave the heat sinks on?
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 6:11 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

See Below. Had problems posting.

Edited by ESCAPEMAX 2005-05-24 6:16 PM
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 6:14 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, The board supports 3GB PC3200. I have 2 at present.
This system is being built for Games. I also plan on getting a Video Card with TV Out so that I can use my TV in the living room.

Heres my parts so far:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Mobo.
Pair of Crucial Tech 1GB PC3200 sticks (2GB Total)
Sony DVD Rom
Sony 1.44 Floppy
Dynex Keyboard and Mouse combo
Pair of PCToys ATA133 cables
PCToys Floppy cable
Ultra 500X Power Supply
CasEdge DT001 Case (On order)

Hard Drive? I have a WD 80GB new sitting in the closet. 8MB Buffer. ATA100. Possibly using a Serial ATA HD.
Just need to pick a Video Card (BFG), Sound Card(Creative).
CPU will be later this year. Along with a CoolerMaster CPU Cooler.
Plus additional fans.

Chris
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 6:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just took a closer look. The HeatSinks are about the width of the Sockets. Looks like I'll have to use 2 instead of 3.
Damn.
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 8:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to off-topic

I'm in the NVidia crowd for graphics, and Creative Audigy is the way to go IMO. Having said that Creative's line of EMU40K processors I think is nearly at an end. They have a new X-FI processor coming, so it may be useful to wait for the new product releases.

Don't forget about speakers though. High end sound card and sub standard speaker's.. well you may as well save you cash completly and use the motherboard sound.

Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 10:35 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Speakers? I have a Mini Home Theater system in my living room.
Comprising of:
Pioneer Receiver, DVD Changer
Samsung 27" TV, And VCR
Polk Audio R15 Front, Surround
Polk Audio CS20 Center
Polk Audio PSW404 10" 200 watt Subwoofer
Sony all in one remote.

Like I said, I have a Limited budget. Buying what I can, When I can.
I am still fighting myself about the RAM. I found a GOOD Deal. $115 at Crucial.Com. Will the extra 1GB make any difference? The only way I can use it is to remove the Heat Sinks. But I do have a Thought. If I cut a hole in the top of the case. Above the RAM. Mounted a fan blowing Outwards. Pulling the Heat from the Mobo. I should be fine? I am going to put additional fans in front pulling air in. Exhausting out the rear. The HD will be mounted in one of the unused 5.25" slots with a cooler. I get them from CompUSA. Have 3 fans and a filter. Pulls air into the case. However I would need to paint it to match since they only come Beige.
What do you think?
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 4:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have you considered an exhaust fan on a PCI case slot. They're easy to come by

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=5211UB
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 10:19 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

After careful consideration. I Finally decided to send the coolers back. I will be using the third GB Ram card.
PCI Fan? Have one. Its very noisey. Vibrates like crazy when running.
Chris
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wait, you are going to use three gigs? Sounds like you will have a pretty good setup. When you are done let me know your full specs, and price, if you don't mind. I am in the process of building my own. I wasn't going with quite so much memory though. maybe I should though, I'll let you know about mine also. Still waiting on the AMD 64 3900+ and Mobo.
Oh and what power supply are you using?

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-25 11:55 PM
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 7:51 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Mine should be a little cheaper than your. I am using a Socket 754. The 3900+ I belive is a Socket 939.
Power Supply? I ordered an Ultra 500 Watt X-Series from TigerDirect. $69+ shipping. There is a $20 Rebate that I will be sending once I get it.
The case? $47 Upgrade Source CasEdge DT001 Desktop ATX (FREE Shiping)
Gigabyte GAK8NS(Mobo)? New Egg. $69 + $2.50 shipping (Special Shipping offer).
KeyBoard and Mouse combo? $29 total BestBuy.Com (Sale)
PC Toys IDE and ATA133 cables? $9 with shipping. 12" Long, Single end. 2 ATA133, 1FDD.
Memory? New Egg $297 for both with shipping, Tax. 1GB CRUCIAL PC3200.
DVD? Sony $27+ Shipping CompuVest.Com
FDD? Sony $8 + Shipping CompuVest.Com

Thats so far.
Chris
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 6:25 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I know you have probably bought the mobo and CPU, but thought you might want to take a look at this link. The prices on combos are pretty decent. They do not have the 3900+ or higher though. Based on your list though, you will have a nice system!
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/athlon64.hmx

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-26 6:27 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10