x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680 battery question

1 2 3 4 5
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 4:20 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

What happens if I don't pay attention to the battery running out and the unit shuts down, will this cause any problems or will I just plug back in AC power and go back to normal?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 4:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Why are there so many new threads on the 680? There is a very long thread on the 680 already. http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=566&posts=259 If you have more than one question, ask them in the same thread. a lot of the questions that have been asked are in one of the many 680 threads. It is hard to go to each of the threads and answer the questions separately.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 5:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you charge it in time, then nothing will happen as the 680 has a backup battery that will retain the data fotr some days. but if you don't charge it up then when the backup battery discharges too you'll lose everything in RAM (data on CF will remain intact though).
one more caution: lithium-ion batteries don't like it if you discharge them too deeply and they'll lose their capactity much sooner...
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 6:01 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yoldering - 2005-05-24 4:50 PM

Why are there so many new threads on the 680? There is a very long thread on the 680 already. http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=566&posts=259 If you have more than one question, ask them in the same thread. a lot of the questions that have been asked are in one of the many 680 threads. It is hard to go to each of the threads and answer the questions separately.

I personally like to keep things "uniformed" and not scattered all over the place so I know exactly where something is when I need to find it, I print out every page here and catalog it so I will always have the info on paper if I should ever lose the online info for any reason, that is why I create different threads for different topics or in this case, features.

I also post the same threads here on every different forum I come across in the hope to get as many opinions as possible but to answer your question more precisely, suppose one of my questions was discussed in that thread you linked to and I got one answer to my question, what if I create a new thread with that same question and someone has just found another or better answer to that question, then without my new thread I won't have ever found this new answer, see what I mean? People are coming up with new answers and finding new ways to get around things daily as new Technology becomes available which is the good thing about creating the same threads every now and then.

I saw that thread you linked to in my initial search on this board when I first joined but as you say it is a very long thread and it also deals with the 680"e" model, simply put, I don't desire to go reading through that entire long thread to end up back here and still have to post questions to find answers to my specific questions.

If I am breaking some protocol on this board by asking specific questions, then please notify the administrator and have him/her tell me so, I am truly sorry that you feel the way you do about my methods of getting info so I will simply ask you not to even view any of my posts, fair enough? Thanks.

Edited by mikehende 2005-05-24 6:10 PM
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 6:19 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex - 2005-05-24 5:36 PM

if you charge it in time, then nothing will happen as the 680 has a backup battery that will retain the data fotr some days. but if you don't charge it up then when the backup battery discharges too you'll lose everything in RAM (data on CF will remain intact though).
one more caution: lithium-ion batteries don't like it if you discharge them too deeply and they'll lose their capactity much sooner...

Ok, so your answer is "prevention is better than cure" agreed. I would like to find/improvise a "flashing" icon alert when the battery goes low so it will grab my attention as I might not hear any alarms seeing that I will be listening to music whenever I am using the Jornada so this makes more sense to get a visible alert. Any ideas/leads for this anyone?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 8:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

mikehende - 2005-05-24 4:19 PM

cmonex - 2005-05-24 5:36 PM

Ok, so your answer is "prevention is better than cure" agreed. I would like to find/improvise a "flashing" icon alert when the battery goes low so it will grab my attention as I might not hear any alarms seeing that I will be listening to music whenever I am using the Jornada so this makes more sense to get a visible alert. Any ideas/leads for this anyone?

if coding is your cuppa tea, there is apis to use for getting the battery level. You can perhaps write one to poll every 5 mins and alert when it drops to a preset level?

I know the backup battery has an annoying nag that appears once awhile ... cannot remember if there is a built-in nag for the main battery though.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 9:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yes the J680 has a "Nag" for the Main Battery as well. Little window appears stating that the Battery is low. Then shuts down. Rather mine does.
Chris
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-24 10:02 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I don't know about "coding" but you've given me an idea, I will look and ask around and report back here, what I am looking for essentially are 2 things, to have a battery level icon on display "at all times" so I can continuosly see the level at a glance in the system tray and the other, a large "flashing" icon that will tel me when the battery level passes a certain point, will welcome any help/leads anyone can give here please.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Mike

The battery level icon on display "at all times" so you can continuosly see the level at a glance in the system tray is an easy one - Download 'ResMeter ' it's one of th componants of either Plus Pack or Power Toys (never could remember which), free H/PC software from Microsoft.

www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/handheldpc.mspx

Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 8:24 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks John but my wife beat you to it, last night she found the "Power Toys" you are referring to found here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6A499BCB-46DC-48F2-BB68-484415DF7B21&displaylang=en

She installed it on the Jornada and now I have a nice Green level meter in the tray also ones for the Program and Storage memory. Something similar is the "Small Tweak" program if anyone is interested, can be found here

http://tillanosoft.com/ce/stweak.html

So now guys, anyone has any idea how I can get a flashing icon to tell me when the battery level gets to a specific point? Any ideas/leads will be appreciated
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 8:41 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

mikehende,

I do not think that Yoldering meant it in a nasty way, in fact I'm sure he didn't.
What he is trying to get at is that while it may be more convenient for you to post disparate questions and to create a print library of them, for those of us who want to regularily come back on assisting users it can make life difficult.

When I first signed in this morning the front page forum feed read:

Jornada 680...
Jornada 680...
Jornada 680...
Jornada 680...
WINDOWS 95...
WINDOWS 95...
IBM z50...
Windows CE....
Networking...

Which one do I go to if I'm looking to get back to a specific one of your questions. Chances are I'll have to go through all the Jornada 680 ones to find the correct thread.

It is difficult to wade through the now very long original Jornada 680 thread. So I have no problem what-so-ever on you creating a new thread.

I would like to request though that if you have questions on the site theme, for example your two today on "Battery alarm noises" and on Forced shut-off in this thread. That you post both questions together in the same thread. "Jornada 680 Power Management Questions" - for example. It will be easier to get back too, and shouldn't cause you too many problems when printing them out.

Thanks
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 9:22 AM
#
H/PC Elder

mikehende - 2005-05-25 6:24 AM

Thanks John but my wife beat you to it, last night she found the "Power Toys" you are referring to found here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6A499BCB-46DC-48F2-BB68-484415DF7B21&displaylang=en

She installed it on the Jornada and now I have a nice Green level meter in the tray also ones for the Program and Storage memory. Something similar is the "Small Tweak" program if anyone is interested, can be found here

http://tillanosoft.com/ce/stweak.html

So now guys, anyone has any idea how I can get a flashing icon to tell me when the battery level gets to a specific point? Any ideas/leads will be appreciated

Mike, you may want to try this tiny app I just rigged up. I dun have my 680e to try out right now. You may want to back up before running ok?

Edited by Snappy! 2005-05-25 9:29 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments batt.exe (11KB - 21 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 9:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! and Office, a Gentleman and soon to be H/PC Elite

Kudos
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 9:42 AM
#
H/PC Elder

... just 94 to go ... yes? ... let me check the actual criteria ...

btw, I tried on the emulator and it shows the right (grey batt icon) as the emulator does not support batt status, hence grey => unknown status.

When exiting the app, the sys tray icon does not go away on the emulator. Can someone confirm on their 680? Thx!
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 11:22 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

C:Amie - 2005-05-25 8:41 AM

mikehende,

I do not think that Yoldering meant it in a nasty way, in fact I'm sure he didn't.

I would like to request though that if you have questions on the site theme, for example your two today on "Battery alarm noises" and on Forced shut-off in this thread. That you post both questions together in the same thread. "Jornada 680 Power Management Questions" - for example. It will be easier to get back too, and shouldn't cause you too many problems when printing them out.

Thanks

Oh my God, I didn't realize that my reply would come off as being an "attack" on Yoldering, I will send him a direct email apologizing if he took offence to my post and to everyone else who may have read my reply, please accept my apologies. I was simply trying to point out that if I had relied on that thread which was already way too long and didn't contain the sanswer to my most important question then I don't think I would have gotten the answer I have now and so that is why I needed to create a new thread, ok, so let's put an end to this ok?

And yes, cAmie, you are correct, this was an oversight on my part, I should have done a better job categorizing my threads [apologies again] and will pay more attention to this from now on, appreciate you bringing these things to my attention!
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.273 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 18