x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680 battery question

1 2 3 4 5
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 5:56 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

C:Amie - 2005-05-25 4:50 PM

We do not recommend you allow it to get that low, based on our best practise guide.

Worst case scenario, let's say you don't use the Jornada for a month or two without having it on AC power and the battery totally runs out, what happens then?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 6:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-05-25 3:45 PM

what's the case with the jornada 720? i've never seen any estimate in minutes with any battery tool
so you're telling me i can't expect any program to read the information correctly (with the exception of HP diagnostics...)?

C:amie & Cmonex, I believe the HP diagnostics are written in the ROM/firmware by the firmware engineers, who have the exact port/register values to peek/poke (or inport/outport) with. WinCE 2.11/3.0 etc provides the system layer to abstract the h/w so that developers do not need to know every other hardware ya

unfortunately, it means also that apps are limited to the resolution this abstraction layer gives ...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 6:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mikehende - 2005-05-25 11:56 PM

Worst case scenario, let's say you don't use the Jornada for a month or two without having it on AC power and the battery totally runs out, what happens then?

hard reset.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 6:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Snappy! - 2005-05-26 12:01 AM

C:amie & Cmonex, I believe the HP diagnostics are written in the ROM/firmware by the firmware engineers, who have the exact port/register values to peek/poke (or inport/outport) with. WinCE 2.11/3.0 etc provides the system layer to abstract the h/w so that developers do not need to know every other hardware ya

unfortunately, it means also that apps are limited to the resolution this abstraction layer gives ...

heh, so, i hope you'll check out that mailing list
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 10:19 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Alright, keep me posted!

So sorry Snappy, my wife came home late tonight so we could not get this done and we are leaving ealry tomorow morning for Atlantic city and won't be back until Sunday so I won't be able to try out your stuff until then, man that bites! Anyway, see you guys on Sunday, have a great one!!!
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 9:06 AM
#
H/PC Elder

mikehende - 2005-05-25 8:19 PM

So sorry Snappy, my wife came home late tonight so we could not get this done and we are leaving ealry tomorow morning for Atlantic city and won't be back until Sunday so I won't be able to try out your stuff until then, man that bites! Anyway, see you guys on Sunday, have a great one!!!

aw, Mike, no worries, I'm not in a rush to test it out, since I am not the one who needed to see a flashing icon on the screen! ... hehe

Edited by Snappy! 2005-05-26 9:10 AM
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 6:24 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hey Snappy, just tried this out but could not get it to work right, here are my steps, I downloaded your exe file into the Jornada in Program Files, I see the Green "batt" icon and double-click on it, the Green Battery icon appears in the Tray and also a prompt comes up with the Battery Status, I click ok in that small box and it disappears but so does the icon in the system tray too, questions:

1] How do I keep the icon in the system tray?

2] What is the "minimum" level I should let the Battery go down to before recharging and how can I set the red flashing icon for that specific level?

Thanks.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 8:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

2) http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0015.asp

You really need to go through our support section.
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 8:45 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hey, thanks for the link, nice tutorial, ok so that answers 1 question that the lowest the battery should go down to is 20%, so I would like to set Snappy's warning at 25%, is this ok? I've seen others say that I should not go below 1/3 power level but I guess I will have to depend on the Tutorial for this unless someone gives me a reason to choose another % other than 20?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey imo it's ok if you go down to 16% and then charge it right away. though i don't know about the 680. the 720 just gives this rudimentary info about the batt state: 100%, 83%, 66%, 50%, 33%, 16% and 0%. that simple... is the 680 different in this respect (giving more accurate information)?
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 9:35 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Actually, the 680 is worse in this respect as it does not give you a %, it has 6 "Blocks" colored Black so Iam guessing that I have to divide 100 by 6 so each block should represent 16% or so? I am glad you brought this up because I had completely overlooked this issue, now I can't set at 25 so my choice will be either 1 block [16%] or 2 blocks [32%], thanks.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh but the screenshot of snappy's batt utility shows 35% and that means it's more accurate. or was it just the emulator or what? can't remember... please check it.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 12:17 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi mike,

I just made a new build (SH3). It will trigger when the batt percentage hit 25% or lower. Once it recharges beyond 25% (ie more than 25%), the flashing will go off.

The app needs to be running for the icon to show. I've made the dialog box into a "toolwindow" so that it does not appear in the taskbar.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments batt.exe (13KB - 28 downloads)
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 12:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2005-05-30 7:50 PM

oh but the screenshot of snappy's batt utility shows 35% and that means it's more accurate. or was it just the emulator or what? can't remember... please check it.

The emulator screenshot is not valid. Its just some numbers thrown back by the emulator through the sys API. It sometimes jumps to 125%!

On an actual device, it "*should*" display the right value, subject to the resolution of the value given by the sys API. Short of getting actual port/addr values for specific HPC h/w, this should be the best this little app can do for now.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 6:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Once again, all hail Snappy!

How do you remember all these API's? Do they just appear in your mind, or have you to trawl through the API library?
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 12