x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680 battery question

1 2 3 4 5
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 7:57 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

My wife explained your answer to me Snappy, if she is correct, she says that your alert will "only" flash when it gets to 25% and was not designed as an icon that will sit in the system tray showing me the level as it decreases. I will run the battery down today to check out the Flash and will get back to you. I will still want a Battery level in the tray at all times becuase I will always be worried that the Battery will go all the way down due to some malfunction somewhere that might disable the flash icon, so I want to have both options for this reason.

My wife came across this, I don't think this will work for me with CE but I am placing the link just in case it might help any of you guys

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail...

Snappy, what I would like to know is, if I should come across an icon will it be "safe" for me to have that icon in the tray while having "your" flash alert installed? Thanks.

Edited by C:Amie
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 9:37 AM
#
H/PC Elder

mikehende - 2005-05-31 5:57 AM

My wife explained your answer to me Snappy, if she is correct, she says that your alert will "only" flash when it gets to 25% and was not designed as an icon that will sit in the system tray showing me the level as it decreases. I will run the battery down today to check out the Flash and will get back to you. I will still want a Battery level in the tray at all times becuase I will always be worried that the Battery will go all the way down due to some malfunction somewhere that might disable the flash icon, so I want to have both options for this reason.

My wife came across this, I don't think this will work for me with CE but I am placing the link just in case it might help any of you guys

Snappy, what I would like to know is, if I should come across an icon will it be "safe" for me to have that icon in the tray while having "your" flash alert installed? Thanks.

Yes, the batt app was written to do just that, flash red blinking icon when it hit 25% or less, which was what was asked for earlier.

Just don't close the app. Leave it running and it will monitor the battery level for you. If you are worried that there is some malfunction that may disable the flashing icon, you can

1. Stop running full screen apps.
2. Plug in the device to AC power.

For that matter, how about worrying about a malfunction in the battery? Or your HPC itself?

I don't understand what you mean by "both options". All I know is that you said earlier that you wanted a flashing icon in to alert you that battery level is low. And you have that already.

btw, your wife is wrong. The only thing that will flash (if at all) is the battery icon in the sys tray. I do not have any other flashing icon code written anywhere else. If you managed to somehow get my batt.exe app to flash an icon somewhere else, do let me know. I would be very interested.

btw ...

I am not affiliated to this site, hpcfactor.com nor is it affliated to me. This site hpcfactor.com does not promise to provide free apps to its users nor do I make such promise.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 9:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-05-31 4:27 AM

Once again, all hail Snappy!

How do you remember all these API's? Do they just appear in your mind, or have you to trawl through the API library?

hmmm ... good point! I also dunno ... the chm help file has everything laid out for me ... ... usually I know roughly the APIs available ... otherwise I just search ...

like in this case, I searched for "battery level" in the SDK help file.

we had a private joke where I worked last time.

C1: "We are giving out too much info in our documentations. Customers will never need us."
C2: "hey, dun worry. Even with all the detailed documentations, they cannot figure it out or make sense of them. Either that or they never read documentations. So we will still be needed! "
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 10:38 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

=Snappy! - 2005-05-31 9:37 AM]
I don't understand what you mean by "both options". All I know is that you said earlier that you wanted a flashing icon in to alert you that battery level is low. And you have that already.

When I say "both options", I mean that I would like to have a Battery level meter at all times in the system tray so if the flash alert fails for any reason, at least I can monitor the Battery level at a glance.

Right now, the level is down to 32% so I am keeping a close eye to see when it reaches 25% to check out the flash, will report back soon, thanks.

Edited by mikehende 2005-05-31 10:41 AM
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 11:56 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Well, it didn't work [at least the way I expected] Snappy, Jornada went right down to 16% and no Flash, I know you told me to leave the application running but I can't, when I open up the box that shows the Battery status, I have to close it before I can get back to my remote connection so I have to click "ok" in that box for it to dissapear and only then can I get back to my remote connection, please advise.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 12:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have you tried the meter in the Plus/PowerToys pack and just run it side-by-side with Snappys! app.

Personally I don't see what the fuss here is, but each to their own. It wont keel over that quickly - and if it does that's what the coin cell is for.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 12:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

mikehende - 2005-05-31 9:56 AM

Well, it didn't work [at least the way I expected] Snappy, Jornada went right down to 16% and no Flash, I know you told me to leave the application running but I can't, when I open up the box that shows the Battery status, I have to close it before I can get back to my remote connection so I have to click "ok" in that box for it to dissapear and only then can I get back to my remote connection, please advise.

well, if you close the app, then it cannot possibly still be running ... can it? I didn't write it to hide itself into the sys tray as it meant writing more code to handle taps on the sys tray so that the user (you) can close it.

As it is, it is "By Design" to

1. Display a dialog box with battery level
2. Display a batt icon on sys tray
3. Flash a red icon on sys tray when battery level drop below 25%

If you need something else ... well ...
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 2:05 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

So sorry you went to all that trouble Snappy, I deeply appreciate it but this is not a matter of "my" preference here, it is just that having the application open prevents me from using my remote connection and my connection is THE reason why I bought this unit, so no worries, I guess I will have to do without the flashing icon and settle for a meter in the tray, thanks.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-06-06 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Snappy! - 2005-05-25 10:42 AM

Mike, you may want to try this tiny app I just rigged up. I dun have my 680e to try out right now. You may want to back up before running ok?

Thanks Snappy!. works great.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-06-06 7:31 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-06 9:02 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mikehende - 2005-05-31 8:05 PM

So sorry you went to all that trouble Snappy, I deeply appreciate it but this is not a matter of "my" preference here, it is just that having the application open prevents me from using my remote connection

it doesn't prevent you from anything.. when you start Snappy's app, you just use alt+tab combination to get back to your remote connection
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 6:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

New question, I tried out the "extended" battery for the Jornada 680 today, it gave me 7 hours and went down to 38% all this while remotely connected to and seeing my desktop.
Am I right in guessing that the Jornada was working constantly while being remotely connected to the desktop? Does this mean that if it is remotely connected and I don't do anything with the desktop that it will use a lot less battery power?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 8:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mikehende - 2005-09-01 12:22 AM

New question, I tried out the "extended" battery for the Jornada 680 today, it gave me 7 hours and went down to 38% all this while remotely connected to and seeing my desktop.
Am I right in guessing that the Jornada was working constantly while being remotely connected to the desktop? Does this mean that if it is remotely connected and I don't do anything with the desktop that it will use a lot less battery power?

nice battery life!

yes it means a constantly active connection and fully active wlan card. so it uses a lot of power. so if it's only connected to it, and doesn't have to update the display (when the remote desktop client app isn't in foreground), it'll consume less. especially if you turn off the display also.
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 9:21 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hey, thanks, for my application I will get a lot more than 7 hours because when I am playing music I seldom have to do anything on the desktop. What I'd like to know is, how do you turn off the display while still maintaining connection or are you talking about the "dimming' option when the screen is not in use?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 10:28 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh i see now it doesn't work on the 680, only on the 720. at least i tried the hotkey for it on the 680 and no reaction. sorry
so dimming is all you have.
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 6:06 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

it's not any real problem for me, I have enough battery power now but I am always looking for ways to make it more efficient, appreciate you trying to help, thanks.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 14