x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

pdf file puzzle

1 2
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-08 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Given the following file --

http://www.mises.org/books/whathasgovernmentdone.pdf

I copied it onto a CF card that also has Adobe Reader 2.0 installed on it.

If I install the card on a Psion Netbook Pro, and open the file under Reader 2.0, it displays all the letters of italicized words on top of one another. For example 'equality' on page 12 is displayed with a single letter width.

OTOH, if I move the same card to a Viewsonic V210 airpad, also running CE4.2 net, the italicized words all display normally. As do they on my XP desktop with Adobe Reader 8.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Don

PS, on both machines, the native MS pdf readers cannot open the file, but who cares?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-08 3:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep, the format is too new for the old Acrobat to interpret properly. Same things happens on my 900C. And Primer and the MS PDF viewer won't open it at all. But luckily, Foxit works just fine.

Acrobat image on top, Foxit on bottom.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-11-08 4:00 PM

(Acrobat2.jpg)

(foxit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Acrobat2.jpg (67KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments foxit.jpg (48KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-08 4:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2008-11-08 4:56 PM

Yep, the format is too new for the old Acrobat to interpret properly. Same things happens on my 900C. And Primer and the MS PDF viewer won't open it at all. But luckily, Foxit works just fine.

Rich

Rich,

Thanks, that's really useful info.

However -- what blows my mind is that the difference that I see is with the identical program, running the identical file, both on the same CF card on the different machines.

Reader 2.0 on Netbook Pro = compressed italics
Reader 2.0 on Viewsonic v210 = expanded italics

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-08 4:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Must be a hardware thing thing and not the software. Of course, you could have opened the document on your desktop and just saved it as text instead...you lose some page formatting, but retain all the data.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-09 3:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

I doubt it is hardware, more like some API difference in the different cenet 4.2 OS - you do know the OEM compiles the OS themselves from platform builder and if they selected different components or they had different (older/newer) updates applied, it will result in a different OS build with possible different results
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-09 4:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay Cmonex...get technical I'm sure you are correct...what I meant to say it that it is probably just device diffferences running similar operating, but not exact systems....

How about finishing up that ROM tool once and for all!
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-11-09 6:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Strange...

Tried it on pdf viewer on the Smartbook. Which is version 2.1.

It says it is an invlid file format or could not be opened by pdf viewer.

Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 9:38 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

DonL0001 - 2008-11-08 2:37 PM

Given the following file --

http://www.mises.org/books/whathasgovernmentdone.pdf

I copied it onto a CF card that also has Adobe Reader 2.0 installed on it.

If I install the card on a Psion Netbook Pro, and open the file under Reader 2.0, it displays all the letters of italicized words on top of one another. For example 'equality' on page 12 is displayed with a single letter width.

OTOH, if I move the same card to a Viewsonic V210 airpad, also running CE4.2 net, the italicized words all display normally. As do they on my XP desktop with Adobe Reader 8.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Don

PS, on both machines, the native MS pdf readers cannot open the file, but who cares?

Hey Don

Check your email, I sent you a copy that works on Primer 3.1 and therefore should work on Adobe Reader 2.0.

BTW - That is an awesome book....anybody who studies Austrian Ecomonics is alright with me !!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 9:42 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2008-11-08 3:56 PM

Rich

Rich - Do you the full version of Foxit....or the trial version?
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 9:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2008-11-10 10:38

Hey Don

Check your email, I sent you a copy that works on Primer 3.1 and therefore should work on Adobe Reader 2.0.

BTW - That is an awesome book....anybody who studies Austrian Ecomonics is alright with me !!

John,

Thanks. I'll check it this afternoon when I get a chance.

What makes this file different such that you expect it to work better?

Absolutely, on the AE.

Regards, Don
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 10:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I only have the old free download on their website....but just checking now it seems they hae a new version out now, so I guess I will give that one a try when I get home...

Rich
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 12:19 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2008-11-10 10:27 AM

I only have the old free download on their website....but just checking now it seems they hae a new version out now, so I guess I will give that one a try when I get home...

Rich

I mentioned that Foxit had a new HPC version in my Sept Newsletter........ just as I suspected, am I the only one who read it!

Oh well - won't have to worry about that anymore!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 12:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No, this one is a newer one that the one you had mentioned....while it is the same version, now they are registering by user name rather than device ID....which means that if you change devices, you can take it with you...a good idea.
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

DonL0001 - 2008-11-10 10:54 AM

Hurricane John - 2008-11-10 10:38

Hey Don

John,

Thanks. I'll check it this afternoon when I get a chance.

What makes this file different such that you expect it to work better?

Absolutely, on the AE.

Regards, Don

John,

OK, I've tried it. (Why is it expected to be different?)

Here's what I found --

The new file was tried first and it still had compressed italics under Adobe Reader 2.0 on the Netbook Pro.

Then I checked the old file and it now was fixed, showing properly expanded italics.

Going back to the new file, it was also now fixed.

In all cases, I closed the file being tested and re-ran the program from the top. There must be some system environment being saved between program runs. ???????

The new file can now be opened with the default MS pdf reader, and the old file still cannot.

Regards, Don
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 1:25 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Don

The PDF file I sent you was a copy of the original, but saved as a v5.0 Acrobat PDF file which works fine in Primer 3.1. Unfortunately, I don't use Adobe Reader 2.0, but I just assumed it would work OK!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.214 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11