x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

pdf file puzzle

1 2
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 1:31 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2008-11-10 12:24 PM

No, this one is a newer one that the one you had mentioned....while it is the same version, now they are registering by user name rather than device ID....which means that if you change devices, you can take it with you...a good idea.

Aren't we both talking about this one?

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/mobile/wm_ce.htm

It's interesting that we have to contact them for a registeration price for the Windows CE versions......you would think it was the same price as the Pocket PC/Windows Mobile version? ($19 USD)

Edited by Hurricane John 2008-11-10 1:36 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 1:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It is the same price....go figure. And you are correct, it is the same version you mentioned in the HPCNL, I was the one who was confused as I was using an older version (the one I sent you I think)...

I like the part where they say to contact your device manufacturer and encourage them to have Foxit included as part of the operating system....

Rich
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 3:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It still looks like cmonex has the answer on this one (again!) - differences in what is included in the CE 4.2 .net builds in each device.
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2008-11-10 4:10 PM

It still looks like cmonex has the answer on this one (again!) - differences in what is included in the CE 4.2 .net builds in each device.

Actually that now seems unlikely, since I can apparently fix the problem by opening John's new file (different pdf version) once.

It may be that reading a pdf file stores certain information about the file, which is used when the file is opened the next time. The details of that storage may depend on both the version of the pdf file and the version of the reader.

Regards, Don

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-10 4:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That makes it sound to me like a registry issue.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-11 8:21 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

BTW, the 0517 build of Foxit is the best of the freebie versions I think as it doesn't have all that stuff on the screen to let you know that it is a trial version. The newer version is nice with the find feature, but since it is disabled...well to what end then is it better than the older version.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-12 2:42 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

DonL0001 - 2008-11-10 6:41 PM

DonL0001 - 2008-11-10 10:54 AM

Hurricane John - 2008-11-10 10:38

Hey Don

Check your email, I sent you a copy that works on Primer 3.1 and therefore should work on Adobe Reader 2.0.

BTW - That is an awesome book....anybody who studies Austrian Ecomonics is alright with me !!

John,

Thanks. I'll check it this afternoon when I get a chance.

What makes this file different such that you expect it to work better?

Absolutely, on the AE.

Regards, Don

John,

OK, I've tried it. (Why is it expected to be different?)

Here's what I found --

The new file was tried first and it still had compressed italics under Adobe Reader 2.0 on the Netbook Pro.

Then I checked the old file and it now was fixed, showing properly expanded italics.

Going back to the new file, it was also now fixed.

In all cases, I closed the file being tested and re-ran the program from the top. There must be some system environment being saved between program runs. ???????

The new file can now be opened with the default MS pdf reader, and the old file still cannot.

Regards, Don

wow very interesting! mind doing some more tests?
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-12 2:55 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2008-11-12 3:42 AM

DonL0001 - 2008-11-10 6:41 PM

DonL0001 - 2008-11-10 10:54 AM

Hurricane John - 2008-11-10 10:38

Hey Don

Check your email, I sent you a copy that works on Primer 3.1 and therefore should work on Adobe Reader 2.0.

BTW - That is an awesome book....anybody who studies Austrian Ecomonics is alright with me !!

John,

Thanks. I'll check it this afternoon when I get a chance.

What makes this file different such that you expect it to work better?

Absolutely, on the AE.

Regards, Don

John,

OK, I've tried it. (Why is it expected to be different?)

Here's what I found --

The new file was tried first and it still had compressed italics under Adobe Reader 2.0 on the Netbook Pro.

Then I checked the old file and it now was fixed, showing properly expanded italics.

Going back to the new file, it was also now fixed.

In all cases, I closed the file being tested and re-ran the program from the top. There must be some system environment being saved between program runs. ???????

The new file can now be opened with the default MS pdf reader, and the old file still cannot.

Regards, Don

wow very interesting! mind doing some more tests?

Cmonex,

You can ask, go ahead.

Regards, Don
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-12 8:08 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

DonL0001 - 2008-11-10 3:48 PM

Actually that now seems unlikely, since I can apparently fix the problem by opening John's new file (different pdf version) once.

It may be that reading a pdf file stores certain information about the file, which is used when the file is opened the next time. The details of that storage may depend on both the version of the pdf file and the version of the reader.

Regards, Don

Don

Amuse an old man like me, by clarifying what you are talking about?

Are you saying that you couldn't read the original PDF that you download from the Mises Inst, but once you opened the PDF version (of the same file) that I sent you..... you were then able to go back and open/read your original PDF, that you couldn't read before??

Have I got that right?
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-12 8:31 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2008-11-12 9:08 AM

DonL0001 - 2008-11-10 3:48 PM

Regards, Don

Don

Amuse an old man like me, by clarifying what you are talking about?

Are you saying that you couldn't read the original PDF that you download from the Mises Inst, but once you opened the PDF version (of the same file) that I sent you..... you were then able to go back and open/read your original PDF, that you couldn't read before??

Have I got that right?

John,

Not quite, but close. I didn't really care about the fact that the file couldn't be opened under the default MS reader. Your file can be opened, however.

My problem was that any word in italics would display with all the italic letters on top of one another, ending up with a strange, single character word.

Strangely, while your file displayed the same problem, going back to the original file no longer exhibited the problem. Then going back to your file also showed no problem.

I have since found that the first opening of either one of the files shows the problem, and the problem goes away on a second and subsequent file opening, of either file.

I don't know for sure what resets the problem, maybe a reset.

I have also found that the same things may happen with some titles. They display strangely on the first opening, and correctly on subsequent openings.

Regards, Don

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9