x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro OS reload

DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 1:36 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have a dead NBP after installing Redgear and Opera and getting a frozen machine during web access.

I found the following googling the web :

To update the OS on the Netbook Pro, here are the instructions from the Psion-Teklogix website:

==========

Unzip the file on the root of a CF, MMC or SD card (the card size should be at least 32MB).

Please make sure the card you use is FAT16 formated!

Then put the NETBOOK PRO in boost mode:

1. Make sure the NETBOOK PRO is connected to the mains through the charger.

2. Find a paper clip or a similar object and push it through the tiny hole on left side of the NETBOOK PRO near the Enter key.

3. Press Ctrl+D+Esc keys at the same time. You will see text only screen with a menu.

Insert the memory card in its slot. The updating process should start automatically.

This process is somewhat ambiguous even not having an image and not knowing what boost mode is.

Can anybody help?

Thanks, Don

Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 2:34 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Here is a link to the software downloads at psion-teklogix's site (you need to register for free to access the area unfortunately). Once there, you will find a link towards the bottom of the page to the latest netbook pro internal flash image. Right below the download link for the image is a link labelled "Related Information" which points to a text file describing the official upgrade procedure.

Also another handy download they have in the same area for the netbook pro (and other CE products of theirs) is an update for the "new" daylight savings time settings.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 2:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

As I recall, the reflash process involves reflashing the bootloader (which I think is what BooSt is), followed by reflashing the OS in the same process. When I reflashed, IIRC it went through each part automatically after following the instructions above. I got the ROM image from Psion Teklogix' site IIRC.

Edited by CE Geek 2008-11-14 2:38 AM
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 4:00 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

mscdex - 2008-11-14 3:34 AM

Here is a link to the software downloads at psion-teklogix's site (you need to register for free to access the area unfortunately). Once there, you will find a link towards the bottom of the page to the latest netbook pro internal flash image. Right below the download link for the image is a link labelled "Related Information" which points to a text file describing the official upgrade procedure.

Also another handy download they have in the same area for the netbook pro (and other CE products of theirs) is an update for the "new" daylight savings time settings.

Many thanks.

I got the downloads. It remains to be seen if I can make sense out of them.

Regards, Don
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 12:13 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

DonL0001 - 2008-11-14 5:00 AM

mscdex - 2008-11-14 3:34 AM

Many thanks.

I got the downloads. It remains to be seen if I can make sense out of them.

Regards, Don

Ok, on one of my two machines (can't run off battery) the reset hole seems to work about 1 time in a 100 and at least gave me the boost menu once so I know what I'm looking for.

On the other machine, the one that has frozen due to software, the machine shows a blank display and I see no way to even tell if the machine is on or off so playing with the reset hole is out of the question as a practical matter.

Any further ideas would be appreciated. At this point my multi-hundred dollar investment in NB Pros and batteries seems like a complete write-off.

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 12:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Here's a stupid question: have you tried to hard reset the one that's "frozen due to software"?
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 2:57 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2008-11-19 1:32 AM

Here's a stupid question: have you tried to hard reset the one that's "frozen due to software"?

Terminology possibly aside, yes. I've disconnected the unit from AC power and pulled both the main and backup batteries. I think that's what constitutes a hard reset for these units.

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 3:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Only thing is, I'm not sure how long you have to leave it that way to fully clear the RAM. There may be a second set of backup batteries built in.
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-19 5:29 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2008-11-19 4:26 AM

Only thing is, I'm not sure how long you have to leave it that way to fully clear the RAM. There may be a second set of backup batteries built in.

Just to be sure, I just tried it again. It had been without batteries or power of any kind for at least several days, if not a week.

It shows the splash screen, the advancing progress bar at the top of the screen, and then nothing ever again (?), until I unplug and replug the AC, at which point that repeats.

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12