x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Anyone ever think of doing a Jornada 720 re-spec?

tehpwnedlife3 Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 6:14 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm no expert in electronics by far, but with an improved board design, couldn't a newer Jornada 720 be made? Like something with 1gb ram, SSD Hard Drive, host USB port, etc. I know that redesigning a board is much easier said than done, but could it be done? I just want to know if it's a possibility...

And on the side - why did HP stop making Jornadas?!
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 6:23 AM
#
H/PC Elite

If I was ever going to do something like that, I wouldn't do it on a Jornada ... to bland, I feel. But What your thinking of I have been wondering as well. Why not garnish an already good PDA and tune it till it beats almost any other PDA? Nice one.
If I was going to re-spec a Handheld, I would go for the Sharp Mobilon HC-4500/4600.
I'd love to upgrade the RAM as well. Handheld PC's never sold with enough memory to upload all my favourite videos!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Patlap

You're right about the 720/728....why mess with perfection?

Now the MP 900/900c - that's a different story!
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 9:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

It's not that i'm messing with perfection, Hurricane John, it's that the HC-4600 has a fasinating shell. A Jornada would do no good since it's just the boring black/blue shell. Also, you could'nt upgrade the ROM since it's the latest Handheld OS already.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 9:04 AM
#
H/PC Elite

By the way, you are posting in the Handheld PC Professional section. The Jornada 720 was a Handheld PC 2000. Post this in the Handheld PC General Discussion section if you were about to talk about something like this, or Technical Support.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2008-11-14 9:50 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Replacing the motherboard isn't really sufficient. Although very good for its era, it is now chunky by today's standards and could probably be both thinner and lighter. The screen is not TFT, and soon the CCFL's in these are going to die.

Why did HP stop making them? Economics, presumably - they felt there was not enough demand to continue production. My guess is that no one has ever started making them again because they don't see it to be economically justifiable. The only new devices we see in such a form factor are full-blown computers, and there's probably a reason for that.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 21