x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My Netbook Pro is here!!!

1 2
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 3:24 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The NBP I ordered from Pulster about a week ago arrived just yesterday. I must say that so far I'm impressed. First of all, everything was packed really neatly and carefully. The Netbook itself looks brand new and so do the included accessories. A pair of AAA backup batteries was also included as well as a CD with software. I have yet to see what state the battery is in but it should be fine.

Oh, I also tested the NBP with the Toshiba Bluetooth SD Card 2 (PA3271U-1BTM) and it worked out of the box, no extra drivers needed. I have yet to test WiFi and Ethernet. I'll be using a 4GB 133x Transcend card for storage. Should be enough

Cheers
SainT

Edited by Half-Saint 2008-11-20 3:37 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 4:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Wow, cool - an SD Bluetooth card working out of the box.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 5:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Half-Saint, congratulations on the purchase.

I don't see the PA3271U on the HCL, would you be able to stick the details up in the HCL submission for me and I'll get it added. The CF card too if you have a model number.

Thanks!
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 6:34 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sure thing! I'll get right to it

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 11:28 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well I'm back from work and I had some more time to play with the NBP. I find it strange that all the keys are responsive and work great except SPACE. It only registers if I hit it in the middle or if I push harder than usual. Even then it doesn't always register especially if I hit it on the left side. I'm used to hitting space with my left thumb and this is highly annoying for me. Especially since you always have to be paying attention to whether or not your SPACE registered. That makes touch-typing really hard because you have to stop to insert spaces all the time. Can some of the NBP owners tell me whether this is normal? It shouldn't be... if there's a fix, I'd like to hear it.

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
sundancer Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 11:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi I too have recently aquired a netbook pro, unfortunately I didnt get a companion cd with mine. Im told that it contains a propgram which helps the device sync the on schedule program with the desktop pc.

Ive searched the internet for the companion cd, but cant find it anywhere. can someone tell me where I may be able to find it, or upload a copy.

is there an alternative prog to sync email from the desktop to the nb pro, as I have to admit, on schedule seems a bit of overkill for my needs, inbox on my symbian netbook was fine, something simular would be much better.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 2:06 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If someone with a NBP is feeling so inclined to assist, if they drop me the necessaries from the cd, rom images, patches, drivers etc. I will add them to H/PC:Update so everyone can grab them (this goes for any H/PC).
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 11:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

sundancer - 2008-11-20 11:49 AM

Hi I too have recently aquired a netbook pro, unfortunately I didnt get a companion cd with mine. Im told that it contains a propgram which helps the device sync the on schedule program with the desktop pc.

Ive searched the internet for the companion cd, but cant find it anywhere. can someone tell me where I may be able to find it, or upload a copy.

is there an alternative prog to sync email from the desktop to the nb pro, as I have to admit, on schedule seems a bit of overkill for my needs, inbox on my symbian netbook was fine, something simular would be much better.

According to psion-teklogix's downloads page/site, there's a download available for "Pocket OnSchedule" which is a "Synchronization application for use with Pocket OnSchedule PIM on NETBOOK PRO and MS Outlook." Is this what you were looking for? If so, you can find the download link to that software on psion-teklogix's site here under the Utilities section towards the bottom of the page.

Edited by mscdex 2008-11-20 11:27 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 3:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Back to the issue of the keyboard: Half-Saint, I haven't noticed any problems with the space bar on my NB Pro.
 Top of the page
Bruni Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 4:41 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I had a similar problem with the space bar of my NBP, and a new keyboard from a Psion series seven had the same problem. The following worked for me and may work for you.

The spacebar has two plastic rods underneath it which pass through the board on which the keys are mounted. When the spacebar is depressed, these rods hit the board beneath before the key is fully depressed. I removed the spacebar from the keyboard, sanded a fraction of a milimetre off each of these rods, and put it back. I've had no problems since. I also found that doing this removed a small but annoying click which the spacebar made every time I pressed it. Be careful not to sand off too much: these rods are used to stabilise and guide the spacebar as it's depressed.

Hope this description makes sense.
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 5:10 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yes it makes sense. I know what you mean as I already disassembled the key a couple of times to see if there's anything jamming the key.. wait, you just gave me an idea. I haven't checked if there's anything INSIDE the two holes that you describe. Maybe something is stuck in there.. will get back to you in the afternoon

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 7:05 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Just checked and both holes are free of any kind of garbage. Pulster recommended that I put this under the key:
http://www.neckermann.de/bilder/g034/250/7/77/774556.jpg

I have no idea where to get it and what's it made of

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 7:18 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Those are those little round sticky things you put on a piece of notebook paper to reinforce the holes...
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 8:01 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Erm I'm puzzled now... how would that help solve my problem?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 10:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Maybe by putting them under the key, they act as spacers, filling up the gap somehow, so that you dont' have to depress the spacebar as far in order to make contact.

It sounds like Bruni's problem was just the opposite of yours, that his was too sensitive and by sanding off some of the push rod, it alleviated his problem...but maybe I'm misunderstanding him.

Most calculators use some type of membrane contact, and most laptops use a rubberized shorting contact material. Perhaps by putting the stickers on top of that, the pins on the space bar don't have to push down as far to make contact, thus eliminating the depth or pressure required.

Might be the only answer is to replace the spacebar with a newer one, or somehow extend the rods/pins so that it requires less effort to make contact with the switch.

But since I've never seen a NB Pro....I'm only guessing.

Or maybe by elevating the right side of the space bar, it would angle the left side downward decressing the span, thus making the distance you have to push less. You could try by just sticking something under one of the ends of the space bar and see how it works...

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-11-21 10:36 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12