x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WinCE 5.0 and Embedded Visual Basic 3.0

1 2
lmcamoes Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 5:37 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all,

Can I develop an application using Embedded Visual Basic 3.0 to run under WinCE 5.0?

Regards
Luis
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 6:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes you can, you have to provide CE5 with the VB runtime libraries (and register them) for its CPU as it will not have them.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 6:30 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How do you register them, what are the proper entries in the registry?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 7:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rich,

Short answer:
Just download the "Visual Basic CE Runtime (Full | Host)" from H/PC:Update (HPC:Factor updates section) for a CE4 device, I created an x86 installer in there when I built it.

Long answer:
HKCR,".vb","",0x00000000,"VBCE.ProjectRun"
HKCR,"VBCE.ProjectRun\DefaultIcon","",0x00000000,"\Windows\PVBHOST2.DLL,-2"
HKCR,"VBCE.ProjectRun\Shell\Open\command","",0x00000000,"\Windows\pvbload.exe %1"
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 8:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay, did the install (manually) since the cab file wouldn't install on the 50x15. Now when I go to look at my VB program, the icon displays properly, but when I go to run it I get an error: Cannot find extention file Forms Data. What did I do wrong?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 9:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you download the global redist from the developer site like I suggested in the other thread? Try merging the developer libray version into \windows from HPC2000 full x86.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 11:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I did, and I tried merging files as well, nothing seems to work. I double-checked all my registry entries, they are all correct. This CE5 thing is perplexing to me. Also, I notice there are some VBScript files in the Windows folder, but don't understand the differences between VBScript and EVB...

Rich
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 2:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

VBS is a run-time scripting langauge that extends client side web processing functionality and also acts as Windows' shell scripting language. VB/eVB is a G4, run-time based procedural programming langauge that is event orientated.

If you install the same H/PC:Update files on a vanilla MP900 does it run?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 4:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Isn't that a pvbform2.dll error?

Also, when C:Amie means register the runtime files, that doesn't just mean creating the registry keys. You have to server register them using a utility like regsvrce.exe or regsvr2.exe, no?

Edited by CE Geek 2008-11-21 4:57 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 6:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If Rich has copied the dll's over then it should have installed forms2.

My H/PC:Update installer was setup to self-register the dll's, so unless the x86 wceload can't do it, they should be registered.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 7:13 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Except that Rich copied them over manually cuz the CAB file wouldn't execute.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 7:29 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

None of the cab files would install. So I manually deleted each of the files in the cab, leaving it empty and tried to install the cab by itself hoping the registry entries would install. They didn't. So I made the registry entries manually. That is when I get the error. But some progress was made as the .vb file now displays the proper icon image.

This 50x15 is atypical anyway. They purposefully designed it to prevent installation of other software. There is no aygshell.dll, but there is an amdshell.dll which is smaller. Wish I could find an CE5 x86 aygshell...but that is near impossible too.

There are a bunch of files that start with GAC_................... I wonder if those are the CF net files or something....

Rich
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 4:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, those are .NET CF files, and yeah, the above DefaultIcon registry key generates the PVB icon.

If you can extract the CAB file using an archive extractor, you can rename the resulting files to their correct names and copy them over manually - but, again, you'll then have to server register them as I mentioned above. I've done this lots of times myself. ('Cept now that I've upgraded my hard drive and reinstalled XP on my notebook PC, I no longer seem to have that available through XP's native extraction utility. )
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 8:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

BTW, Rich, are you sure the 50x15 has wceload.exe in ROM? If it's missing, that would certainly explain why the CAB files won't install.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-22 1:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It does have the wceload.exe present. And if I try to run it by itselt, I get the appropriate "tap on the cab file to install" message.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9