x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Networking Problem

werkshy Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 3:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, I'm hoping someone will know something about this.

I have a Jornada 680e with a SMC prism-chipset CF wireless card. SMC don't provide WinCE 2.11 drivers for that card, so I'm using the Compaq WL100 drivers and they seem OK.

Using the Compaq driver I've got the card up and associated with my A.P. (a Linksys 802.11b router with the latest firmware). I'm using 64bit WEP but this happens with or without WEP. The driver software shows the correct MAC and channel for my A.P. and shows that it has excellent reception.

The problem is it won't complete the steps needed to get on the network. If I try DHCP, a lease is issued and the router briefly shows the Jornada in the client table. Then a few seconds later, it disappears, then a while later I get a message on the Jornada:

"DHCP was unable to obtain an I.P. address. You can reinsert the card later or statically assign an address"

If I try statically assigning an I.P., basically nothing happens. I tried pinging with vxUtil and there's no connection, but it does show some details of an assigned I.P address and nameservers, lease info etc. I think a lease is being issued but then something breaks.

I don't have any access control on the router except for WEP.

One weird thing: in the DHCP status table of the router the client hostname for the Jornada is all garbled. It's always the same but it's always garbled. ";Ð$Ê"

I know this isn't a hardware issue since I have used this card under Jlime with the same router and everything was fine. In fact, it was almost automatic! Is it the fact that I'm using Compaq drivers (I also tried the proxim drivers, same thing happened.)

The next thing I plan to do is try with a different router. Other than that I'm at a loss and I'm really really frustrated. I'd appreciate any help.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 7:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Search the HCL for NL-2511 and try the relevant drivers.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 9:42 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

just a note about using ppc wlan drivers: it's fine unless you want to secure your wlan network... or connect to a secured one.... (closed ssid, wep keys)
then hexediting is the only solution. or just use a real hpc driver for example the hawking drivers (if you need a prism2 driver).

Edited by cmonex 2005-05-25 9:44 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 10:02 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK, i see now we're in the 2.11 forums
but my note is still valid. for example http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0006.asp doesn't mention it..
 Top of the page
werkshy Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 4:25 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the comments. I had tried both of these things, but I tried again and changed some other settings.

I disabled WEP on my A.P. and now I have a connection. In actual fact the other drivers I have tried seem to work just as well (you have to enter the driver name, e.g. "WL100NDS" when the card isn't recognized.) I prefer the interface to the Compaq driver, since the reference driver downloaded from Senao doesn't fit on the screen properly.

I don't understand why the WEP thing was getting messed up. It doesn't matter, I can restrict wireless access by client MAC on the router.

Thanks for your help.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 4:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Article updated, thanks for the info.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-25 5:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'm glad i could help