x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

List of handhelds with QWERTY keyboards that take AA or AAA batteries

big_guy_little_pc Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 8:53 PM
#
Avatar image of big_guy_little_pc
H/PC Newbie

I'm interested in learning if anyone has a list of handheld PC's that have QWERTY keyboards and that use AA or AAA batteries. I frequently travel to remote places and am looking to get something that I can use to simply take notes (other than a notebook and pen, since that would be too simple) and maybe have some other features like a calendar/planner and contacts database.
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 10:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I can name 2 off the top of my head.

HP 360LX
NEC MobilePro 790

The build quality on the 790 is crap, but it does have a bigger screen, keyboard, etc.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 11:28 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

As Nate pointed out, the Mobilepro 7x0 series have a AA adapter to load in lieu of the normal Li battery pack. See www.hpcnec.com for details.

The Casseopia A10/11 runs on AA. I think it's a 4 shade gray scale screen. Inside use is abut difficult, but it's outdoor readable (as I recall). But, I don't know that I'd call it touch-typeable, if that matters.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2008-11-20 11:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

According to PDAdb.net, the following HPCs use AA batteries (none listed on PDAdb used AAA batteries):

Compaq: PC Companion C120/C120+, PC Companion C800/C810
Philips: Velo 1, Velo 500
NEC: MobilePro 200, MobilePro 400
Casio: Cassiopeia A-10, Cassiopeia A-11, Cassiopeia A-11 Plus, Cassiopeia A-20, Cassiopeia A-21, Cassiopeia A-23G
Sharp: Mobilon HC-4000, Mobilon HC-4100, Mobilon HC-4200
HP: Palmtop 300LX, Palmtop 320LX, Palmtop 340LX, Palmtop 360LX
Ericsson: MC12, MC16

Edited by mscdex 2008-11-20 11:58 PM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 5:48 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I know just the one!

The Ericsson MC16 is 10 years old, but still I feel it meets most of your needs. The monochrome screen will make sure battery life is at the limits. The qwerty keyboard is basically the same as an HP 320LX. Ericsson provides software to make the MC16 communicate with an Ericsson phone, and save all contacts to the unit. It can even send text messages, and type up documents while on the move. If you get bored, there is a small game market for CE 2.0 devices to keep you entertained. Even better, they are available up to £20 on ebay! To find out more, read Monica's review: http://www.rothberger.net/pages/reviews/me_mc16_english.shtml

Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 6:07 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

mscdex - 2008-11-20 11:56 PM

According to PDAdb.net, the following HPCs use AA batteries (none listed on PDAdb used AAA batteries):

NEC: MobilePro 200, MobilePro 400
Casio: Cassiopeia A-10, Cassiopeia A-11, Cassiopeia A-11 Plus, Cassiopeia A-20, Cassiopeia A-21, Cassiopeia A-23G

There are a couple of additional ones that need to be included: the NEC MobilePro 450 and 700 as well as the Cassiopeia A-22T.

Rick
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 6:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
mscdex - 2008-11-20 5:56 AM

Compaq: PC Companion C120/C120+, PC Companion C800/C810

After I had attempted to refurbish the battery on my Compaq 2010C - (failed attempt), I soldered battery springs to the connectors, and isolated the things with a little hot-glue.
Works now on two AA's quite well. I'll post a picture for those interested. 2010C's with lost password (always recoverable) with or no-longer-working batteries should go cheaply now - one on Ebay at $10 right now.

(And there is always the old-skool MS-DOS HP 200LX running for several weeks on AA's, but that is not Win-CE- but still available from Thaddeus , Ebay or me)

Edited by michelbel 2008-11-21 6:30 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 7:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If you want a near-full-size keyboard, then I'd recommend the MP 700. It has all the software you need, is monochrome, so it doesn't draw much power. You could type on it all day...20+ hours with a pair of AA batteries. Plus it doesn't have the washout the DSTN color screens do.

But good luck trying to find one. They are near impossible to obtain. The AA adapter with any of the 7X0 Mobilepros is good for around 3-4 hours, but is worthless outside in sunlight.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-11-21 7:23 AM
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 8:41 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

As michelbel pointed out, there are other handheld computers that qualify, if you don’t want to use one of the ones listed so far.

Michelbel noted the HP 200LX, they’ve very nice and run forever on two AA batteries.

You might also want to take a look at the Psion 5mx, Newton 2100, the Palm m125, the AlphaSmart Dana and Sony CLIÉ PEG-SL10. Some (the Newton, Palm and Sony) would need an external, attachable keyboard (which might or might not be a problem, depending on your use).

Again, depending on your ultimate use, you might even want to consider something like the old Radio Shack Model 100, 102 and 200. There’s even a new, reasonably priced box which hooks to these computers that allows you to save your work to SD cards to be read by other computers…

I’ve used all of the above, except the Dana, and can recommend any of them for use in remote and/or dangerous places. It should be noted that my primary AA-powered computer for the past eight years has been a MobilePro 700 (upgraded to 32 megs of internal RAM with a 2 gig CF card). I’ve used it in a lot of remote places (I like camping and hiking) and I usually carry a solar charger for the batteries.

AA/AAA battery-powered computers just can’t be beat…
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 11:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I know it aint an HPC but if all you want is notes, calender & contacts with AA battery use and a great keyboard....

Must suggest a Psion 5mx (2xAA will give you about 30hrs use over 1 month standby) it has a spectacualrly good keyboard and well it really is a great option for this sort of use.

There are still a few writers and reporters use 5MX's for typing up notes etc when they will be places that chargers and power points are going to be sparse.

John
 Top of the page
big_guy_little_pc Page Icon Posted 2008-11-21 7:45 PM
#
Avatar image of big_guy_little_pc
H/PC Newbie

Thanks everyone for your responses! This is very helpful.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 15