x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

RSS on Jornada 720 (Qmail3, others?)

PeekPoke Page Icon Posted 2008-12-08 3:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Has anyone gotten Qmail3 HTML View to work on the Jornada 720, for RSS?

I see HTML code inside the downloaded RSS article content, despite having disabled Raw view mode (and played around with the other modes).

I thought that Qmail3's HTML View option might help me. Per the Qmail3 doc, HTML View option is only available for PPC2002 and above. But of the various Qmail3 versions I've tried (HPC2000, PPC, PPC2002), none has a selectable HTML View option.

Does this have anything to do with the "incomplete implementation" of 'htmlview.dll on the HPC2000?

Or any recommendation for a better RSS reader? I want to download the RSS articles while ActiveSync'ing, for offline reading later. I have also tried PocketFeed without success in downloading any feed.

Thanks for any pointers.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2008-12-08 6:49 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

IIRC Avantgo does custom RSS feeds as well as the channels they already have. I've used Avangto off and on ever since I had my first Windows CE device. It will update the content on your handheld when you connect via ActiveStync or when you manually update it from the Avantgo program itself when you are away from the desktop and have internet access (wired or wireless) on the device.

As far as HTML content goes, I recall there being at least hyperlinks and images and things embedded inside the channels or the feeds the last time I used Avantgo awhile back.
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 4:53 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Sadly Avantgo no longer exists and their suggested alternative (MySnacs.com) doesn't support HPC or PPC. Anyone know of another way of accessing RSS feeds (other than Google Reader via cmonex's tweaked NetFront)?
 Top of the page
JLS Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 12:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Try Mobipocket Reader v4.8
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadSoft/DownloadManualInstall.asp

I have used it for years. It has a great selection of RSS feeds and you can add
any that you find elsewhere.

Refrain from selecting a popup that wants you to update. Some updates don't
play nicely with the ole CE3.

Avantgo was great but it did charge $$.

Good luck,
JLS
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 10:06 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks JLS but I was looking for a standalone HPC2000 solution (I'm a Mac user and don't have easy access to ActiveSink). QMail3 does the job but doesn't render HTML on the HPC2000 version.
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-10-16 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

nicmalone - 2009-10-16 10:06 PM

Thanks JLS but I was looking for a standalone HPC2000 solution (I'm a Mac user and don't have easy access to ActiveSink). QMail3 does the job but doesn't render HTML on the HPC2000 version.

You can download the ARM CAB for MobiPocket 4.5 here if you want to give it a try.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-10-17 3:06 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 11