x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Terminal Server, Citrix Client, VNC--performance

bbking67
bbking67 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 11:28 AM
#
I have been unsuccessful in getting TS to work on my MobilePro 880. I get a garbled screen... most likely I'll need to remove some programs to make this work.

Haven't tried Citrix yet... how does it perform? Does Citrix have a basic host software that I can use with Windows 2000 server?

VNC works... but it is incredibly slow... will all remote control products render this slowly? Basically screen updates were taking 10 seconds... press the start button, wait 5-10 seconds to see the start menu. is there any way to speed this up?

I thought the MP880 would make a good thin client, but it doesn't look like it will...

/bbking67
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 11:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Terminal Server Client. You need the H/PC Pro one from here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0066.asp

I'm assuming that you are connecting to Windows 2000 Terminal Server from your post. What encryption level are you using and what is the status of group policy enforcement on the connection?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

bbking67 - 2005-05-26 5:28 PM

I have been unsuccessful in getting TS to work on my MobilePro 880. I get a garbled screen... most likely I'll need to remove some programs to make this work.

Haven't tried Citrix yet... how does it perform? Does Citrix have a basic host software that I can use with Windows 2000 server?

VNC works... but it is incredibly slow... will all remote control products render this slowly? Basically screen updates were taking 10 seconds... press the start button, wait 5-10 seconds to see the start menu. is there any way to speed this up?

I thought the MP880 would make a good thin client, but it doesn't look like it will...

/bbking67

don't worry, please, RDP/TS is as fast as possible! it looks like vnc is just not so effective... but TS is.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 12:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

VNC depends greatly on the server version, the stream encoding settings and most signifanctly on the quality of the client.

The main ones are rather poor. there is a better one out there, but they are all based on the very old 3.3.2 release... no on ehas updated it to 3.3.7 or 4.x. Which is where the problem springs from.

Also, unlike RDP, VNC doesn't monkey about with the native resoloution of the remote server - RDP drops it down to 640x480. So a VNC at XGA will see a decisive lag against a RDP forced down to 640x480.
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Citrix works better then TS. It's an addon, and sort of works the same, but has some advantages.

1. the citrix client can scale the screen, without care of aspect even. VNC and TS dont do that, and always require you to scroll if the resolution on your server is different then the screenres on the device. It might seem impossible to read the things, but if you get used to it a little, or are something like a sysadmin, you already know what the words say, so no reading is needed (as in my case). To me it's more important to see where I am, and can fly over the screen as fast as possible.

2. the citrix client supports audio over the connection.

3. Citrix allows you to publish applications. this means, instead of having the desktop and have to start the stuff yourself, a published application starts only that application on the server, and thus enhances security. (your buddies might be able to run 1 program, but you dont want them to have full access to snoop around and stuff.

4. the pnadmin application of the citrix client allows you to setup a connection to the server automaticaly (works with nfuse, the webinterface of citrix) and if there is a connection, published applications that are accessible by your useraccount on the server will have shortcuts in a foilder in your startmenu.
practicaly this means, you will be able to have a shortcut in your startmenu to firefox, Internet explorer, Windows Media Player, Photoshop, or whatever else you can think of. It's pretty impressive to run Photoshop or 3D Studio Max on your HPC.
there is more, but this gives you the idea.

-------------------------------

cons :

windows 2000 server has to run in application server mode, admin mode does not allow citrix to run/be installed. This requires additional licenses, and can be costly.

Citrix runs on top of 2000 server, and requires additional licences for each citrix client you connect to it.

Programs have to be installed differently, using the so called install mode of terminal server in application mode. (start - run - change user /install)
this writes the registry setting a little different for the programs, so that it is multi user compatible.

Not all programs work under Aplication server mode. you might have to find replacement apps for them, or fixes to make it work. Office 2000 installation for example requires a script from the office resourcekit to be able to be installed on a terminal server in application mode.

considering the pricing and additional hassle, its up to your needs to decide. If it's just one person using it, VNC would be my best choice.

I use my server for numerous tasks, and require these tasks to run when I am not connected to it. using vnc, I can access the server, and check on these tasks or do maintenance on them, and when I disconnect, it all runs fine.

if I do the same thing on either terminal server or citrix, the tasks still run, but under a lower priority. ALso, when the connection gets dropped by a disconnection or a connection crash (winCE IP stack overflows due to the amount of continious data) and I reconnect, 9 out of 10 times, it creates a new connection, and I have to connect to the old one using the admin tools.

I ran citrix for a while for testing (as I am a Citrix Certified Admin) and loved the scaling of the screen, but as a single user, I rather have the full performance of the machine instead of userfriendlyness.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 4:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-05-26 6:38 PM

VNC depends greatly on the server version, the stream encoding settings and most signifanctly on the quality of the client.

The main ones are rather poor. there is a better one out there, but they are all based on the very old 3.3.2 release... no on ehas updated it to 3.3.7 or 4.x. Which is where the problem springs from.

Also, unlike RDP, VNC doesn't monkey about with the native resoloution of the remote server - RDP drops it down to 640x480. So a VNC at XGA will see a decisive lag against a RDP forced down to 640x480.

or to 640x240

which version do you think is the most efficient VNC server? realvnc (3? 4?), ultravnc or sthign else?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-26 4:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

PocketDVD, interesting stuff.

how come TS don't scale the screen? i use XP Pro's remote desktop - ok, that isn't exactly TS or is it? i don't know enough technical details about it... sorry. :embarrassed:
but, the point is that it does scale my 1280x1024 desktop to half vga beautifully. so no scrolling is needed for me. and no problem with reading text or anything. i just wish everything would have a scroll bar. if a program has it then it works perfectly, if not, then not everything will be accessible.. (there's some workaround of course).

audio? heh, it would support it if i had a ce.net device

shortcuts already on the desktop and in the start menu and quick launch so no problem for me...
i agree, it IS impressive to run desktop apps on my 728!

i never experienced problems with dropping connections either...

so, for one user, why VNC? it's remote desktop

and someone please tell me, what it depends on that remote desktop scales down the screen or not. one of my friends tried it too, and it didn't scale anything down... got tired of scrolling soon... setup was jornada 720 & XP Pro too. mysterious!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no one has any idea? please
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-05-26 3:46 PM

PocketDVD, interesting stuff.

how come TS don't scale the screen? i use XP Pro's remote desktop - ok, that isn't exactly TS or is it?
but, the point is that it does scale

audio? heh, it would support it if i had a ce.net device

so, for one user, why VNC? it's remote desktop

and someone please tell me, what it depends on that remote desktop scales down the screen or not. one of my friends tried it too, and it didn't scale anything down... got tired of scrolling soon... setup was jornada 720 & XP Pro too. mysterious!!!

1 TS uses older technology, and there was no requirement for it. WinXP uses the TS engine, but it's optimized for 1 terminal session(or 2) only. A Terminal Server can host 100's of terminals all displaying something else.

VNC is NOT remote desktop. Remote Desktop does not give you real access to the physical desktop.
VNC takes over the currently running login, instead of logging off the one on the machine, and creating a virtual connection. VNC can be used for showing someone how to do something, or even play games, if your bandwidth handles it well. Some games do work under TS as well, but not all.

in my case, I am always logged in on my pc, and have apps running. if I use TS, I wont be able to see the status of those apps. VNC does not create a new connection but uses the existing one. My server doesnt have a physical screen attached to it, and using my hpc, pda or laptop, I can do all I need on it.

Concerning your buddy's scaling, I recall you being a bit of a file-editor, does it scale on a clean j720?, maybe its something with updates (you never know microsoft) have him try your XP machine instead of his.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 7:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

LOL, i know what VNC is and that how it works. i used to use it before i got to know remote desktop. the latter just suits my needs more faster (especially on a hpc...), does scaling and i like the feature of locking my desktop if i initiate a remote desktop connection...
of course if i want to help or just playing around with a friend, i still use VNC.

i don't really understand your remark about TS creating a new connection. in my case, it uses the existing one and my apps remain running just the same. so it's comfortable. maybe i misunderstood something.

thx for the advice. yeah it does do scaling on a clean 720 too, so it doesn't have anything to do with me being a bit of a hacker
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 11:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

heh, a TS/Citrix admin blinds you with science. Let me try and clarify.

There are two true modes for RDP to operating in. The first basically just enumerates a new session on the active users account (or subsequent users account) and as PocketDVD says, you can have hundreds of users logged into the system at the same time oblivious to whether they are there or not - this requres a true MS Terminal Server and TSCAL restrictions.

The second mode is what Windows XP nativly uses (with no hacks) which is called Console mode, in which you basically captures the active user session, and shunts it down the RDP protocol. This can be achieved with a true Terminal Server by specifying a console mode flag against the RDP 5.1 client.

There is though a third mode, which I believe only exists in Windows XP where by using RDP it acts like VNC and allows concurrent sessions onto the same user profile. This is how Remote Assistance works - although I have no idea if/how to make it operate over an RDP client.

cmonex, when you say it scales, are you saying that the screen resoloution for the remote desktop session matches that of the H/PC exactly i.e. 640x240, so you don't have any scrolling?
That would be my definition of what you're saying.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes, i meant it exactly that way it's 640x240 and no scrolling.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 12:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

right... erm
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 12:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

??? :confused:
 Top of the page