x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Compaq C-Series 2010C hinge

rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2008-12-30 11:01 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi,

I have added to my collection of HPCs one Compaq C-Series 2010C. Actually I had such machine 7-8 years ago. I liked it but its left hinge broke. It was common problem because hinge is plastic and due to bad engineering it is put on high pressure when HPC opens/closes. So, I am looking for any solution to avoid this thing to happen again. I think for any 3/4 or 2/3 tiny and strong metal ring around hinge in order to distribute pressure on it. However, I do not have idea where to get such a ring... Of course, any idea how to avoid this problem will be welcomed.

Please keep in mind that I plan to use C-Series so unfortunately idea to not open/close unit does not work

Happy New Year to everybody!
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2008-12-30 9:03 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I don’t know if this is going to help…

I’ve got a few C-Series 810s, including one with a broken left hinge. I think this was common because, as you say, the bad engineering, as well as the plastic itself. I find it a bit more brittle than most H/PCs.

I tried gluing mine back together – unsuccessfully. I ended up getting a couple of dealer replacements off eBay a few years ago. They came without any ROM or RAM and I just switched over the ROM/RAM from my broken 810. The other one I used the ROM and RAM from a beta colour version of the C-Series (Roadster Color B2 Regression Build).

As for preventing it in your current 2010C, some kind of brace around the outside of the hinge might work, but like you, I’m not sure where to get one. I think you might end up fabricating one of your own design.

However, I would suggest grease. That hinge is very tight and grease wouldn’t hurt…

Rick
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-01-01 11:16 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Happy New Year Richard,

Thanks. Grease is a good idea. Unfortunately I was not able to find somewhere a repair guide and do not know how to get to the gear mechanism. Actually plastic hingle simply embraces it and rotates part ot it, rest is fixed to HPC. Well, when hinge is broken is simple
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 12