x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sci-Fi Discussion in TV and Movies

« Prev ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next »
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2023-04-22 11:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Watched the last Picard this week...loved it! Only thing that saddens me is the knowledge that there will probably be other Star Trek spinoffs in the future beyond my lifespan that I will never have the chance to see.

On the other hand I was around to enjoy watching sci-fi as it unfolded and developed in a fashion that kids today will never have the opportunity to experience.

How about the weekly Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea...

How about Saturday kids shows, like Fireball XL-5 (I have the complete DVD set).

How about watching Star Wars in the the theater...every seat packed.

Drive-in movies, back to back sci-fi & thrillers, The Green Slime and The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

Then sci-fi got serious in the '60s and '70s with Planet of the Apes, 2001 Space Oddessy, The Andromeda Strain...

I've enjoyed them all...in the flesh when released...from the mid 1950s until now.

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-04-22 11:42 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I envy you. The golden age of Sci-Fi.

Regular Sci-Fi these days have similar plots, not too fun and original if I may say so.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-04-23 8:31 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

A serialised TNG series 8, right? The plot disintegrated completely and there was some nonsense, but I don't think it was about that. It was about giving those characters the send off that they deserved after the movie flops. This. This they achieved in spades.

So many opportunities for spin off series too.

Show spoiler...
I don't think that it will age well as a result of yet again returning to the borg, the plot contrivance and the unrealistic fantasy mess the fan service elements left it in.

- the fleet abandoned all planets other than earth for federation day. Pretty sure if you're any other federation member or on a border outpost, you're pretty pissed off right about now.
- every senior officer in a star ship over the age of 25 is dead about now. You don't recover from those losses easily.
- the discs dock battle and amount of time it withstood the barrage was implausible. Ships should have run out of torpedoes.
- after the AI fiasco in series 1, the idea of handing over the fleet to AI seems implausible
- wondering how no one has whiplash after throwing the 1701-D around like that
- Troi and Riker seemed completely oblivious to the fact that they have a daughter
- christening the 1701-G when they have a bigger, more powerful 1701-F in service was unnecessary and unrealistic.
- Worf survived three direct borg disrupter shots so did Shelby survive her two phaser shots?
- Renaming the Titan the Picard would have been perhaps more meaningful

That said, so nice to see Worf, Crusher, Troi and Laforge get some long overdue respect from the writers.

The fan in me thinks the idea of a captain Seven series would be amazing. More opportunities to see other DS9 and voyager cameos (like Michelle Forbes and Tim Russ et al goodness). The rational part of me however wonders what it would bring to the table that SNW isn't already doing most capably and that Discovery hasn't already ruined through trauma for anyone over the age of 27.

I like the idea of a micro series approach where we get to see more of a wide gamut of past characters that can lead to new series, soft tie-in or just sort few episode character arc stories. More than a cameo, standalone, but perhaps not a full series.

Anyway, despite my plot gripes, I was gripped and it gave me the send off that I wanted to reedit these characters. Though I'm bitter that it had to end and my heart would like a series 4, I appreciate that getting them all together again would itself be contrived. It's this the last that we see of these characters? Perhaps not, but may be, in a way, it would be best if it were and this is how history and we as fans forever get to remember them.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-04-23 9:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

TV sci-fi here in the States was kinda lame in the 60s. Star Trek TOS stood out as the one good series. As a five-to-seven-year-old kid I always got excited about watching Lost in Space from the dinner table, but looking back, the stories got really silly in most episodes. Surprisingly, though, the British "Supermarionation" series (Fireball XL5 and Thunderbirds) were pretty well-written despite the weird animation concept.

In the theaters was a different story. 2001: A Space Odyssey was legendary - but again was a British project for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer rather than an American one. Seems like the British have always done science fiction productions better than we have. (The UK, after all, gave us Arthur C Clarke.) But The Andromeda Strain remains one of my favorite movies of all time.
 Top of the page
Citgo Page Icon Posted 2023-04-24 4:41 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

C:Amie - 2023-04-23 9:31 AM

I don't think...

Exactly what I thought!

Show spoiler...

I thought the Titan would be renamed in Picard. That wouldn't be unusual because many ships are named of a person (Well ok, in the real world).
But renaming a ship class like the Titan in Enterprise and then G... mh I don't know.
The F had only a brief appearance.

There were a few things that bothered me a bit. But anyway...
I found a new Wallpaper for my devices with all crew members on the D-bridge!

What I'm missing is a TV series like TNG with completed episodes. So when u missed a episode you wouldn't miss anything.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-04-24 10:22 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2023-04-23 9:03 PM

TV sci-fi here in the States was kinda lame in the 60s. Star Trek TOS stood out as the one good series. As a five-to-seven-year-old kid I always got excited about watching Lost in Space from the dinner table, but looking back, the stories got really silly in most episodes. Surprisingly, though, the British "Supermarionation" series (Fireball XL5 and Thunderbirds) were pretty well-written despite the weird animation concept.

In the theaters was a different story. 2001: A Space Odyssey was legendary - but again was a British project for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer rather than an American one. Seems like the British have always done science fiction productions better than we have. (The UK, after all, gave us Arthur C Clarke.) But The Andromeda Strain remains one of my favorite movies of all time.
How times change. I used to love Thunderbirds as a kid. There was also Stingray and Captain Scarlett. Sadly we do sci-fi barely any better than we do anything these days - Please don't say Doctor Who, I'll dead arm anyone who does.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-04-25 8:52 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2023-04-24 7:22 PM

CE Geek - 2023-04-23 9:03 PM

How times change. I used to love Thunderbirds as a kid. There was also Stingray and Captain Scarlett. Sadly we do sci-fi barely any better than we do anything these days - Please don't say Doctor Who, I'll dead arm anyone who does.

As a child, Thunderbirds were my favorite too. I didn't watch Captain Scarlet, but I knew about them. I liked Thunderbird 2 because it carried lots of vehicles and stuff.

Edited by stingraze 2023-04-25 8:52 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-04-25 10:04 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

TB3 was mine - Space the final frontier!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2023-04-25 11:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Ah yes, it docked with Thunderbird 5.

Image from Pinterest.fr

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2023-04-25 11:22 AM

(tb3-tb5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tb3-tb5.jpg (23KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-04-25 2:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's the one!

All that space station for one person. I don't think I want to know what John did in his spare time
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2023-04-26 2:38 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

He opened a clinic for hearing-impaired children in Los Angeles.

https://www.jtc.org/

I'm glad I'm not hearing-impaired (yet), cuz I liked the musical scores for that series.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-04-26 7:54 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Gerry Anderson hated the character of John, that's why he was one dimensional and relegated to TB5
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-04-27 10:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-04-28 1:37 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2023-05-03 2:15 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie - 2023-04-23 1:31 AM

A serialised TNG series 8, right? The plot disintegrated completely and there was some nonsense, but I don't think it was about that. It was about giving those characters the send off that they deserved after the movie flops. This. This they achieved in spades.

So many opportunities for spin off series too.

Show spoiler...
I don't think that it will age well as a result of yet again returning to the borg, the plot contrivance and the unrealistic fantasy mess the fan service elements left it in.

- the fleet abandoned all planets other than earth for federation day. Pretty sure if you're any other federation member or on a border outpost, you're pretty pissed off right about now.
- every senior officer in a star ship over the age of 25 is dead about now. You don't recover from those losses easily.
- the discs dock battle and amount of time it withstood the barrage was implausible. Ships should have run out of torpedoes.
- after the AI fiasco in series 1, the idea of handing over the fleet to AI seems implausible
- wondering how no one has whiplash after throwing the 1701-D around like that
- Troi and Riker seemed completely oblivious to the fact that they have a daughter
- christening the 1701-G when they have a bigger, more powerful 1701-F in service was unnecessary and unrealistic.
- Worf survived three direct borg disrupter shots so did Shelby survive her two phaser shots?
- Renaming the Titan the Picard would have been perhaps more meaningful

That said, so nice to see Worf, Crusher, Troi and Laforge get some long overdue respect from the writers.

The fan in me thinks the idea of a captain Seven series would be amazing. More opportunities to see other DS9 and voyager cameos (like Michelle Forbes and Tim Russ et al goodness). The rational part of me however wonders what it would bring to the table that SNW isn't already doing most capably and that Discovery hasn't already ruined through trauma for anyone over the age of 27.

I like the idea of a micro series approach where we get to see more of a wide gamut of past characters that can lead to new series, soft tie-in or just sort few episode character arc stories. More than a cameo, standalone, but perhaps not a full series.

Anyway, despite my plot gripes, I was gripped and it gave me the send off that I wanted to reedit these characters. Though I'm bitter that it had to end and my heart would like a series 4, I appreciate that getting them all together again would itself be contrived. It's this the last that we see of these characters? Perhaps not, but may be, in a way, it would be best if it were and this is how history and we as fans forever get to remember them.

I still haven’t gotten to Picard yet (I’m halfway through my DS9 rewatch but I’ll check Picard out after). So I’ll let you and Rich Hawley know then my thoughts.

But : going back to TNG.
What were your thoughts on the seasons? I feel like 3-6 were the best, most especially 5 and 6. 7 I didn’t particularly like at the time because while it was good television, I don’t think it could top seasons 5 and 6 (except Time’s Arrow). There were a few gems in it though.
I was reading recently that Ronald Moore felt similarly that season seven seemed to lack a sense of direction.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10