x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New to the scene - HPC software/NEC MobilePro

Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 8:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone,

I had a question. I'm looking at buying a NEC MobilePro 780 or a Jornada 680/e

Now, can that Windows CE run "normal" Windows CE applications? For instance, if software was made for an SH-3 Jornada 548, would that software run on an SH-3 Jornada 680?

Or is the windows OS so different it won't work? I want one of these clamshell PC's I'm just worried about a severe lack of software availability for them.

---

Also, the NEC MobilePro 780 seems to have the same processor and clock speed as the NEC MobilePro 790, yet the 790 has a newer operating system. Is it possible to just flash up the 780 to the newer OS somehow?

Thanks!

Any other ~$100 HPC's I'm missing out on that you might suggest?
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 8:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Welcome. Try a search on your question. there are a few threads that have compared the two, and a few that answer the other ones.
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=NEC+MobilePro&author=&days=s

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-27 8:54 PM
 Top of the page
Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hmm.. ok thanks

I'm leaning towards the Mobilepro 780 because I could install Textmaker 2002 on there w/out a CF card, whereas the Jornada 680 would need a CF card, according to softmaker.

The only thing that gets me is that it's BIG... I wanted something small I could slip into my pocket but still have a capable HPC...

---

And about my software question: So, from what I understand, HPC's *can* run standard PocketPC non-native applications? For instance, would Bejeweled 2 run on the MobilePro 780 or Jornada 680 despite it's not natively designed to run on either of those machines? (I *need* bejeweled heheh)
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, sorry the 680s are the smallest (some would say largest) REAL HPC. They are great though. My suggestion is take your time and develop the best HPC you can for yourself. There are amazing things you can do with them. The J680 is small yes, but I would suggest you read as much as you can about all other HPCs before you make a decision. Look under chart, or comparison/s in the search option.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-27 10:23 PM
 Top of the page
Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Sounds good! Thanks

I currently have a Palm Zire 71 of my own, and the school furnishes a foldout keyboard during the school year... I love the combo, but the keyboard is rather large for my pocket, and it's not practical (IMHO) to have both of those in your pockets...

As for the PPC scene, I had a Jornada 548, which I liked, but sold in order to buy the Zire 71 which is more compatible with the software and programs my school uses (My school is very Palm-oriented). That's one reason that makes me lean towards the MobilePro, actually... The SH-3 in the 548 was slow... not as in normally slow, but I mean DEAD BEAT slow I would hate to buy another piece of hardware that sluggish... Anyone with a Jornada 680/e want to help me out here? Is it indeed 'sluggish' or is that not typical of all SH-3 devices?

As for Textmaker 2002, I suppose I could buy a CF card considering the prices of Flash-carts like CF and SD cards have plummeted recently.

Do you have a Jornada 680/e? Does it fit into your pocket?

Also, do you know the answer to my software question from my previous post? The main thing "holding me back," so to speak, from buying a HPC is the fact I don't see much software being developed for them... that's why I wanted to know if standard PPC applications could run on a HPC such as the Jornada 680/e or NEC MobilePro 780...

Edited by Kujila 2005-05-27 10:47 PM
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 10:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Also the OS version makes a difference.
Personaly I'd prefer an ARM chip and HPC2000 as an OS (or dotnet) because the OS is more optimized, and runs a little smoother.
But it al depends on what you tend to do with it.
 Top of the page
Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, I have like $80.00 so far saved up
 Top of the page
Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 2:21 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Sorry for double-post but I felt I needed to explain myself and the board said I can't edit after 60 minutes...

By saying I only have $80.00 saved I mean I don't think I could afford a newer PPC...

Anyhoot

Anyone know if PPC software runs natively in HPC's (Jornada 680/e) Windows CE Operating System? That's the one kicker that prevents me from wanting to buy a HPC
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 2:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

about the OS difference: you can't run the jornada 548 software on the J680 or on the MP 780 because both of them run an older OS (2.11 core instead of 3.0). but if you get an MP 790 or Jornada 720, then you'll be able to run some pocketpc software with a little tweaking. not all of them though!
you can upgrade the 780 to 790 if you can acquire a 790 rom chip (no flashing, you need the physical chip), it's easy to change it if you already have the chip..
 Top of the page
Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 4:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hmm, ok, but the thing is the MP780/90 are much larger than the Jornada 680, aren't they? Would that still fit in my pocket?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes much larger, unlikely that you could put it in your pocket. with a jornada there's still chance for that but you'd still need large pockets for even a jornada. jornada size is no problem for me, i have a jornada 728 but anything bigger than that would be uncomfortable..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10