x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MobilePro 790 headphone jack

1 2
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-27 10:51 PM
#
I searched and didn't find much on this one, so just a quick q:

Is the headphone port on the 790 a 2.5mm like it looks like? Would I just need a good ol' adapter to plug my headphones in there?

As well, the 790 is mono sound only, correct? Would that power both channels of a pair of earbuds or how would that work, exactly?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 6:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It is the smaller jack, like you'd find on a cellular phone. It is monoaurul, not stereo. What I did was take the plug and wire from an old cellular phone ear piece and solder a standard female headphone jack to it. Now I can use any Walkman type headphones in mono with sound from both sides. It's not stereo, but it is very very nice hifi.

Rich
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 3:49 PM
#
Thanks! I might just laze it up and stop by Radio Shack (soon to be the Source, ugh) and pick up an adapter, but that would work too

Next step is giving PocketDVD a try (and hopefully a buy).
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 1:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2005-05-28 6:57 AM

It is the smaller jack, like you'd find on a cellular phone.

It is my understanding that the audio socket for the 790 is the same as that used for the 780. Can you tell me if that is so? If yes, all I need do is get a cell phone ear bud to get a plug that fits? To me, the socket looks like a mini-plug with a tiny piece of copper placed in it to stop insertion of a standard headset plug. Could the 790 socket be described this way?

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 4:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

bruisedquasar - 2005-05-31 6:31 PM

Rich Hawley - 2005-05-28 6:57 AM

It is the smaller jack, like you'd find on a cellular phone.

It is my understanding that the audio socket for the 790 is the same as that used for the 780. Can you tell me if that is so? If yes, all I need do is get a cell phone ear bud to get a plug that fits? To me, the socket looks like a mini-plug with a tiny piece of copper placed in it to stop insertion of a standard headset plug. Could the 790 socket be described this way?

--Bruised

No!! Not true! I have been doing some searching for a earbud/headphone set for my MP780, I did conclude there are a few things to beware of.

I have about 6 or 7 types of headphones, I wouldn't worry about shorting out your audio jack as it really isn't high powered enough to get damaged from my experience, but I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you use something else to TEST them before you use them on your MP, because you could damage the device and/or your audio chip!! IF you do some modifications to your headphones - DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Having said that, here is my list of audio accessories:
1) This one you have to be careful of, if you look at the jack closely, you will see a small problem on it. This isn't apparent, until you plug in the jack and find your audio recording application starts up automatically! I acquired these from someone else (a friend) as spares. The other problem, being stereo, one of the ear buds do not work!
2) I found this, while rooting around in my fathers "Cable drawers", this was what my father once used with his Motorola T260 (Ironically, I had a T250!), plugged it in, no hassle from day one, except a missing ear pad and a missing ear clip!
3) Another spare headset, I found this within my collection, it came with my mothers phone, but guess what? It doesn't work with the MP at all! Works fantastically with my Nokia 3650 though, if you do not move the cable!
4) I found these today, great things, just happened to be rooting around my friends drawer, opened up a mobile box, there they were, still in their sealed packet, not even used, asked to plug 'em in, and worked. Even better, unlike the previous ones, these did not activate the recording app, and stereo sound worked with no hassle.
5) These are cheap 99p earphones, because they are so cheap and nasty, I decided to try something out, I cut off the end (because they had a 3.5mm plug on them), , unsoldered an end of a double ended 2.5mm mono plug, soldered both channels together, plugged 'em in, nothing 'appened! So, I moved the jack until I heard something, only one channel works! Worse, the jack has to be half way out, before you hear anything! So long for that idea!
6) Acquired from Tescos in Chichester for £4.99, except they haven't been used, why? Look at item 1. These are listed to work with Samsung mobile phones, but I'd check the plug if I were you.

Looking for a good pair of ear phones or headphones:
Looking at my list, it seems like you are limited, well not really! You just need to look for a few things, firstly, do not go for one with a metal shord at one end of the plug, if you look at the MP jack closely, this is wat ACTULLY activates the recording application when you plug them in, as far as I can tell, there is no way to turn it off!
Look for one with a stereo plug (2 rings and a tip), not one that is stereo w/microphone (3 rings and a tip) if possible. Avoid mono plugs too.
If you are going to convert a pair of headphones, look for one that is cheap, if they work, go for something more expensive and try that out, its all too easy to make a mistake and I wouldn't recommend buggering up an expensive pair. Also, get a proper jack, if you are in the UK, look at http://rswww.com/ . http://uk.farnell.com/ or http://www.maplin.co.uk/ to name but a few good electrical retailers!
Other than that, if possible, I would ask to try before you buy, many shops may allow you to do this, because your handheld PC is very unique (and a pain in the rear when it comes to audio accessories!). Explaining the situation may also help. Remember, they want your custom too, besides, it looks good if they manage to sell a product. If you can't TBYB, take it home, try it out, if it doesn't meet your specifications, or in the meantime you have found a better offer, send them back within 28 days (for most retailers in the UK) and they will be happy to give you your money back.

What is the basic setup?
My 3D Max renders should help to explain everything.

Is this clear enough?
PLEASE NOTE, THIS IMAGE IS MADE AS CORRECT AS POSSIBLE, I DO NOT HAVE A COPY OF THE SCHEMATICS, BUT IF THERE ARE ANY ERRORS PLEASE INFORM ME OF THEM AND I WILL CORRECT THEM.
THIS IS TO BE USED ONLY AS A GUIDE

Also, if you want to hear music out of both earphones (using stereo earphones), I'd suggest soldering both earphone wires together.

What do you mean by "Microphone Activation"?
To understand, here is a series of pics, I know you rather look at creative photos rather than boring text!

Heres the culprit, circled is the contact that turns on the microphone, it is only some jacks that enable it, others don't. It seems to be the ones with an extra "shorud" around the jack. watch the animation:

Other than that, just mix and match to see what headsets work with your device. The stereo one is manufactured by Motorola, but I haven't tried the mic on it yet, here is a link to the product: http://motorola.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&id=ProductDetailsPage&SiteID=motostor&productID=34372000&Env=BASE
(more from Motorola, if you aren't happy with that choice! http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/Web_accessories_detail.asp?Country=USA&language=ENS&productid=29608&strPrimaryOption=Acc&lSecondaryOption=11 )

I hope this helps!

Edited by Wessex_nut 2005-05-31 4:31 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 5:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Great post. Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. When I said it is the smaller jack like found on a cellular phone....I simple meant the diameter of the plug. But like like Wessex_nut states, this is one time that size does matter.

I once had a small 2.5mm jack that worked fine if it didn't go in all the way, otherwise I had no audio and like he describes, my recorder started working. I ended up putting a small fiber washer over the plug to keep it from inserting too far. Best thing to do is avoid making contact with the recorder contacts. Both the headphones and the recorder use a common chassis ground, so it would be pretty easy to mess it up with the wrong length of phone jack.

Great pictures by the way....

Rich
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 5:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2005-05-31 10:05 PM

Great pictures by the way....

Rich

Thank you!! I see that the Art Course I have attended and attending my graphical work has really paid off!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 6:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nice job, one with the imagry, I like that.

Be careful though.

Not all 3 ring jacks are equal (so said Orwell). Two rings good, three rings bad (Orwell again.. sort of).

Some three banded ones have a control ring on them, which is used to send and sometimes feedback control requests from hardware devices. Any MiniDisc and many high end CD players will have a feedback remote on them - this incidentally when attached to an Intermec 6651 will actually control the audio as it has a MD remote capability.
So be careful you're not sending crazy signals to your device if you happen to come across a random 3 ring jack.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-05-31 11:41 PM

Nice job, one with the imagry, I like that.

Be careful though.

Not all 3 ring jacks are equal (so said Orwell). Two rings good, three rings bad (Orwell again.. sort of).

Some three banded ones have a control ring on them, which is used to send and sometimes feedback control requests from hardware devices. Any MiniDisc and many high end CD players will have a feedback remote on them - this incidentally when attached to an Intermec 6651 will actually control the audio as it has a MD remote capability.
So be careful you're not sending crazy signals to your device if you happen to come across a random 3 ring jack.

Actully, from my point of view, I think that would be sooooo coool!!! I'd have a better MP3 player than those bloody iPOD's (Which I really do hate!! Maybe if they use flash memory in them, maybe I'd start to like 'em a bit!). As if I didn't have a decent one already, that does your emails, checks your contact, views any file you give to it* and plays decent games. Oh, and don't forget supportive communites like yours!
Will a remote control actully send my MP crazy or not?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 7:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I can't stand iPlods either.

If the device is setup to listen for the mic channel down what in MD ters is the data channel then every button click would be sending random data to the mic... also the remotes need a degree of power off of the system some how.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2005-06-01 12:23 AM

I can't stand iPlods either.

I am glad I am not the only one then! They would be cool if they were more like a PDA (and I would have an excuse of liking the fact that it has a hard drive in the first place), but since they are just basically "noise" machines, I just cannot stand them. The idea of having a hard drive to store your music I think is a big mistake and takes up too much space anyway! A laptop HD has several problems:
A) they are power hungry
B) Drop it and you have had it!
C) Seem like flashy things these days, everyone has to have one! (I am in the age group that Apple want to attract - 19 to be exact - and I am strongly saying no).
D) as I said, they are basically dumb.

Anyway, who can fill 20Gbs of storage with music? I can't, I am surviving on a 64mb flash card and a 30mb flash card.
I wouldn't go for microdrives now either, finding out that one type cannot withstand a fall off a desk!
Having said that, I have been thinking about getting an iPOD for a while, only so I can upset my sister with one and constantly wave it in her face (the 20gig version).

Your off this topic comments? Oh, I dread it when I see the white cable comming down from someones ears, and the BOOM, BOOM, BOOM of someones music, where as I sit there, have a grey/black cable going into my bag and I keep my music down to a resonable level, unless I really have to turn it up!

My moans anyway!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-31 9:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut - 2005-06-01 1:59 AM

Anyway, who can fill 20Gbs of storage with music?

my best friend definitely can...
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 6:41 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-06-01 2:25 AM

Wessex_nut - 2005-06-01 1:59 AM

Anyway, who can fill 20Gbs of storage with music?

my best friend definitely can...

Lets see.....
If I see your friend (and pass him a 20gb iPOD), he'd say "20GB GONE IN 60 SECONDS!". Yeah right..... Whats his playlist on that thing? 70s? 80s? Disco? 90s? Nuaghties? Loud music? Oh wait.... I dread to think!

/me is currently playing Angel City - Sunrise at resonable volume as I write this.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 7:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Kind of all depends on the audio quality - just like when playing back on the H/PC (using a different player than the standard WMP one) you can make the same song fill 10MB of course - where as ordinarily it's 2MB.

I converted all my CD's and MiniDisc's to MP3 at 192k and can shunt them back and forth between the H/PC... but I can't quite pip 20GB.. 16.2GB at the moment.

According to the Mieda Library Manager in WMP10 I have well in excess of 140 hours of MP3; which leads one to wonder why anyone would need to take 140 hours of mp3 with them in the first place - but perhaps that's just me.

What I do like to do though is using the tape deck that's in my car (Yes! a tape deck of all things exists in my car - crazy!) I have a converter tape which is thus..

Turn the 720 on, turn the screen off and play the tracks. you do have to hike the volume up on the car radio amp though - as the 720's an unamplified headphones device and not a line device.
But it's all good!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 8:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not that I'm trying to stretch out this thread, and while it is a little off the original topic, I always wondered why people just didn't buy a cheapo old pocketpc, like the Casio E-10. Runs on batteries, you can put a big CF card in it and listen to your MP3 forever for next to nothing in expense...and still have time to read an ebook.

To heck with IPod....

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-06-01 8:41 AM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10