x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What would it take to make a Tigerdirect Jornada complete?

Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 2:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1163978&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

According to folks, Tigerdirect's Jornada is some weird Dutch Jornada that doesn't have a CF card port or audio unless you remove the bottom casing or something.

1. So, what would I need to make this unit a fully-functional Jornada 680e?
2. If I removed the bottom, wouldn't that expose the itnernal workings of the machine?
3. Where can I buy the "audio buttons" from? HP? Where?

Thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 2:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

2) no, don't worry about that it isn't the real bottom that you need to remove afaik.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Kujila - 2005-05-28 7:14 PM

According to folks, Tigerdirect's Jornada is some weird Dutch Jornada that doesn't have a CF card port or audio unless you remove the bottom casing or something.

It appears that it was an ex-Ned Train unit, or Netherlands railways unit. I hope they performed a hard reset on these things before hand. I wonder what they used them for? I know the UK railways are trialling Casio PDAs (rugged ones! Probably so the staff don't damage them by bashing them about by the seats like they did with the SPORTIS machines) with a massive printer attachment so they can print out tickets on them. Unfortuately, the SPORTIS machines (from British Rail days) are far tougher than the PDA's and the PDA's often get scratched and broken in a matter of months, if not weeks! A typical SPORTIS unit is 20 years old now however!

A bit of useless info, I know
 Top of the page
Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 4:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok, good, thanks all

As long as the Tigerdirect Jornada isn't a cruddy rip-off, that's good

Anyhoo, anyone have the link for the sound buttons that don't come with it? Thanks
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-06-03 12:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Kujila - 2005-05-28 2:14 PM

1. So, what would I need to make this unit a fully-functional Jornada 680e?
2. If I removed the bottom, wouldn't that expose the itnernal workings of the machine?
3. Where can I buy the "audio buttons" from? HP? Where?

Congrats. You just made a good buy. Did you get yours for $119? Many people here bought one of the units tiger is selling for $149, an excellent buy. I bought two and so did someone else here, one at a time. I made the mistake of buying a refurbished NEC 780 from Unity Electronics, just to save $20 in the unit and $6 on S\H. What I got was a beat up looking unit that runs well. So did everyone else who has gone for a Unity unit. Had I paid just a little more, I could have got a hardly used or never used unit from Tigerdirect. I have purchased refurbished hardware from Tiger for years and I have never been disappointed.

If your J680e is like those the rest of us bought through Tiger, it is either hardly or never used. That is what you get when you buy "refurbished" from Tiger.

Your Dutch Railways custom build 680e is complete. The CF card slot is there and it works. Just get a T6 torks screw driver and remove the custom bottom (it should have a clear plastic window). You will see the CF slot box. You do not need to reinstall the five screws that held the custom bottom. Removing it restores the 680e to its original condition, including removing the Dutch Railways logo from the front.

You can get the missing external audio buttons from the HP site for a few bucks. Most people do not bother. The 680 series is infamous for the poor quality speaker and mic. Most likely you will use sound only for key clicks and windows sounds. The speaker works fine for that. You can cover the button holes exposed by removing the custom bottom with a piece of colored or metal tape (some just leave the holes) or you can carefully remove the Dutch Railway logo from the base plate and glue it over the holes.

The custom bottom makes the 680e unstable. It easily rolls over backward when used on a table. Removal of the bottom returns the device back to its original stability.

Your unit is not weird. It is an excellent buy. Also, you do not need to load the O/S fixes. We found they are already installed in the Dutch custom units.

You will find it very hard to buy a J680 in such excellent condition, perfect screen, no sign of wear (my units came with a quality screen protector installed), brand new battery.

...Of course this is all merely my humble opinion..

--Bruised

Edited by bruisedquasar 2005-06-03 1:01 PM
 Top of the page
bdaily
bdaily Page Icon Posted 2005-06-03 10:53 PM
#
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here for a couple of months and finally was able to register (had some problems registering with NS and IE but worked fine w/ Firefox) and post. First, in relevance to this post, I have a set of the audio buttons for the J680e that I don't need. I'd be willing to send them, no charge, to whoever contacts me first. I ordered them thinking I would be getting my 680e from Tiger Direct but in the end I bought mine from JustDeals (http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/hpjornada680e1.html) for $109.95. I have ordered many things in the past from Tiger Direct and have had no problems up til now (rebates included) but this time I ended up cancelling my order and ordering from Just Deals. I ordered my unit from TD one night while their site was showing that they were in stock. The next day I received an email stating that they were back ordered. I called and was assured they would be in by the beginning of the following week. To make a long story short(er), I was eventually told that they would not be in stock for several weeks; at which point I cancelled my order and ordered from Just Deals. I still have not seen them in stock at TD since that time. My unit from Just Deals arrived in excellent condition and a slip of paper inside claims that it is also a Dutch Rail refurbushed unit but there is no "false" bottom and the audio buttons are present. I'm hoping to get into some software development for these as soon as I have some time (I am an EE by education but a software developer by trade). This site has been awsome in providing information about HPC's and I generally check the forums everyday for new info. Sorry for the long post and thank you to everybody that contributes to this site.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 9:09 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the forums.

If you could let us know what sort of issues you were having with NetScape, and which version / build etc you are using over in this thread
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=103&posts=106
I would be obliged to you.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 9:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

bdaily, welcome aboard!

programming for the unit? Neat! Check out the other threads on programming. Most urgent app to be had ... a proper browser or a port of Minimo or dillo!! ... tell me you accidentally wrote a port over the weekend while waiting for the kettle to boil on Sunday morning!!
 Top of the page
Kujila Page Icon Posted 2005-06-05 11:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

bdaily - 2005-06-03 9:53 PM

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here for a couple of months and finally was able to register (had some problems registering with NS and IE but worked fine w/ Firefox) and post. First, in relevance to this post, I have a set of the audio buttons for the J680e that I don't need. I'd be willing to send them, no charge, to whoever contacts me first. I ordered them thinking I would be getting my 680e from Tiger Direct but in the end I bought mine from JustDeals (http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/hpjornada680e1.html) for $109.95. I have ordered many things in the past from Tiger Direct and have had no problems up til now (rebates included) but this time I ended up cancelling my order and ordering from Just Deals. I ordered my unit from TD one night while their site was showing that they were in stock. The next day I received an email stating that they were back ordered. I called and was assured they would be in by the beginning of the following week. To make a long story short(er), I was eventually told that they would not be in stock for several weeks; at which point I cancelled my order and ordered from Just Deals. I still have not seen them in stock at TD since that time. My unit from Just Deals arrived in excellent condition and a slip of paper inside claims that it is also a Dutch Rail refurbushed unit but there is no "false" bottom and the audio buttons are present. I'm hoping to get into some software development for these as soon as I have some time (I am an EE by education but a software developer by trade). This site has been awsome in providing information about HPC's and I generally check the forums everyday for new info. Sorry for the long post and thank you to everybody that contributes to this site.

Hey thanks

Although "JustDeals" price shows as $119.00 for me (basically the same as TD fer' me), I think I might go with them because they pre-mod it for me

Once I scrounge up the pocket change, I mean
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 1:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Kujila - 2005-06-05 11:49 PM

Although "JustDeals" price shows as $119.00 for me (basically the same as TD fer' me), I think I might go with them because they pre-mod it for me

You are correct. JustDeals and Tiger post the same price now, $119, and to my knowledge there is no problem getting one from Tiger. I helped students, I introduced to handhelds, order J680e units from Tiger about one a week over the last six weeks, without a hitch.

Years of wheeling and dealing in the concrete and Internet business world & my local work in consumer rights have taught me this: Never rely on the claims of anonymous persons and beware of the Internet shill and the hit and run newbie. Check it out but never act on anonymous information.

...Of course, this is merely my humble opinion...

--Bruised
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 6:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

bruisedquasar,

Kudos on the students. Getting a little exposure in universities could be most beneficial to the platform. Fresh blood being what it is.

Especially if they happen to have a computer sciences faculty.
 Top of the page
bdaily
bdaily Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 11:19 PM
#
Nice welcome, bruisedquasar. Hit and run newbie. That's a great way to make somebody feel welcome and want to contribute. I was merely recounting my experience ordering my 680e. I wasn't bashing Tiger Direct, in fact I made a point of saying I had ordered many things from them in the past and had never had a bad experience. I also reiterate that my unit from Just Deals came with no false bottom to remove and the audio buttons are present. Hence my offer of a free audio button kit from HP (which by the way is still available). I'll even pay shipping; I don't have any use for them. Of course anyone else's experience may vary from mine and you are correct that TD has the 680's in stock again; but they were out of stock for several weeks after I ordered mine and after I was told they would be in stock. I might also mention that I am not quite posting anonymously; my real name and email address are available to anyone who wishes to click on my screen name by my post. As for being a newbie, everyone has to start somewhere and to make it past newbie stage and not be considered "hit and run" depends a lot on how one is receieved when they are new. Again, thank you to all those who constructively contribute to this site and to those who politely welcomed me.

Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 2:57 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

bdaily - 2005-06-07 11:19 PM

Nice welcome, bruisedquasar. Hit and run newbie. That's a great way to make somebody feel welcome and want to contribute. I was merely recounting my experience ordering my 680e.

Whoa Ki-mo-sa-be! I have no idea who you are or what in the world lit your fuse!. You certainly do not know me. Since you felt free to hurl at me without extending the civility (or rationality) of checking out what you think I intended, I feel free to respond more frankly than my upbringing would normally permit.

You did a lot of attacking me there and owe me an apology. You can start with re-reading my post that you assume offended thee. You might also consider doing something that might have prevented your rash conclusion jumping bean and attack, a standard newsgroup practice that evolved before there was an internet. Newbies were expected to do a good once over of the support or news site and read a lot of back posts before posting. I have only been a member here a few months. I invested my first month just reading posts. I am always a lurker before I post. This was standard polite practice at one time, before AOL threw open the Internet door.

When I launched my first post here, I already formed a fairly decent idea of who the main players are at hpcfactor. I had a decent idea of whom the serious and reliable contributors are, the hotheads, the trouble makers (very few of em as the site is well monitored), I carefully examined the different thread topics so I would not ask questions that have been asked over and over.

If you would have done something like this, you would know that I do not attack people. I was not attacking you. To assume so and to flame before checking out what you think I meant first is a tad narcissistic, considering I did not refer to you or mention you or insinuate anything about you.

I was giving some novices general conclusions I formed over many years and I mean it when I end my posts with "Of course, this is only merely my humble opinion"
You see it is my discovery that the more I learn the less I think I know.

I form opinions to be corrected by better information or logic. Now, if you wish to debate with me that there are no critters that we can label 'hit and run newbies' But I am not interested in discussing whether we must declare them a minority and revise the Constitution for them. (-- Not that it matters, but I am not white), then please re-educate me. As for you, I know nothing about you and I have no idea what you are talking about.

For your welfare, I hope you do not pop off at strangers like that in public places like restaurants or worse in establishments that serve adult beverages. Here, where I live, that could prove most unhealthy, even worse in nearby Detroit, where every other school kid seems to carry a both a big gun and a big ego problem.

If you can come up with anything solid against me, I apologize in advance, and all I can say is I certainly did not intend to offend. The first rule of human interaction is to be other directed, which means assume the attitudinal posture that most strangers probably mean you no ill will, so if it seems one is wolfing at you, check it out. You can always attack later.

The wise man walks humbly with his head bowed.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
bdaily
bdaily Page Icon Posted 2005-06-09 10:33 PM
#
Apology accepted, bruisedquasar. I re-read your post and came to the same conclusion that I did the other night that your warning to "...beware of the Internet shill and the hit and run newbie" refered directly to me. Your post, in response to a response to my post, could certainly be interpreted as discounting what I had to say simply because it was my first post. While I am a newbie to this group I am by no means a newbie to newsgroups or the internet in general. As I said, I have been lurking here for several months while I debated whether and which HPC to order and while I waited for it to arrive. I have spent a lot of time reading previous and current posts. In fact I felt so well prepared, by the knowledge that I have gained from reading this group, that I almost felt like when I received my 680 that I had already had one for awhile. I waited to post until I felt I had something to contribute; mainly that the unit I received was "complete" in a way that some posters I have seen here do not believe the TD units to be and to offer my audio buttons to anyone who would like them. I also noticed, during my lurking time, who posts frequently and helpfully. However I don't believe that because someone posts frequently that they are entitled to, in my opinion, discount another's posted experience which I felt your response did. If it was not intended that way then I also apologize for my response. Now I intend to drop this (because I certainly do not want anyone to think I am a troublemaker) and get back to learning about HPC's and helping out where I can.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10