x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ok, who wants to get open source to the HPC?

1 2 3
HDH Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 6:45 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

chiark - 2005-07-04 5:00 AM

Have you got a drawing, part number, picture or manufacturer of that connector?

It's a 140-pin molex connector, in the 55299 series. Molex sites say they're available and active, but suppliers seem thin on the ground. We'll get there

I'll chase the supplier again today.

chiark

Have a look at the attached link. This file includes part numbers for the ARM module. Is this of any use?
http://download.intel.com/design/strong/schems/27828305.pdf

Regards

HDH
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 7:00 AM
#
Jlime looks like a great idea, but I think it's still got a fair way to go...

I get the idea that Jlime requires at least a basic knowledge of Linux, something I don't have; I've been using computers since I was in diapers (literally!) and learn new things quickly, but at this stage, I'm not prepared to get my hands dirty.

I STRONGLY believe that the Handheld PC/Linux idea is worth promoting and supporting however, and I intend to do my part...
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 7:05 AM
#
Clearly some of the HPC Factor members are quite devoted to this project (or at least give that impression), including the ROM avenue; if they remain devoted, I'm sure we'll get there sooner rather than later...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 7:24 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks Helmut, we've got the part number, but the suppliers are having trouble supplying them.
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 10:37 AM
#
When do they expect the ROMs to become available?

Surely they'd have an ETA...
 Top of the page
jammie*dodger Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 4:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

http://radiolivre.org/darksnow/jornada/

according to the info here, you can install linux (bootstrap it) such that when you remove the batteries, etc it will revert to WinCE. This seems an ideal solution to those too scared to risk their hardware. As soon as I get a chance i'll give this a go and let people know how I got on.

Rob.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 4:42 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rob, that's what I've tried. It's not as friendly to install as the JLime stuff, but it does work. I had a problem getting opie to run, but I think it was my touchscreen driver (or the mknode command which sets it up) that was to blame.

Kristoffer, the lead developer of jlime, now has a 720 and is looking at porting the latest kernel to it. Fingers are crossed

Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 7:26 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok guys, i didn't want to spill the beans early... but as you're stirring things too much. here you go. this is a message from the jornada linux mailinglist.

Mark Gollahon - 20.06.05 - 07:22 am (GMT -06:00)

Sorry that I have dropped off the face of the planet...

I have bad news, and I have good news....

The bad news is that I've been tied up with my other projects for much longer than I had originally thought I would be. Then my wife and I had a new baby and I got further behind. The good news is that I'm getting through my backlog and I *think* I can start the engineering on the flashboards in about a month.

Yes, I hear you all groaning out there.... But I have an incentive to get the flashboards done - I have a J728 whose daughterboard fritzed out, so my J728 is now a brick until I get these flashboards done.

Look for more of my posts once I start the work. I've got a tenative plan of action, so I am not starting from ground zero. Also, I appreciate those of you out there who have helped me get pictures, plans, etc. Please just have a little more patience....

Regards,
-Mark Gollahon

so you see, there are persons that have the design and that will be working on it. Also, in a subsequent message, he states that he has like 20 molex connectors and that a guy in HP has several hundred more. Mark is very involved with this, i think he even made some of the flashboards that exist, so if you want to help, i'll suggest get in touch with him, but remember he stated he'll start working on it the last days of july.

I hope this clears out your doubts
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 8:41 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Actually, matrixcore, if you read Mark's recent posts to that Jornada List, he asked that people do NOT contact him or post more requests for the flashboard...He said that he knows that people want it and doesn't want more people bugging him about it right now....

HTH,

Mark
Not that Mark (referred to above..) but interested in flashboard.....
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 8:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I know, that's why i wrote:
"remember he'll start working on it the last days of july"
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-05 2:52 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

...and if you see someone called "chiark@gmail.com" posting on there, asking for numbers, well, that's me.

I've been in contact with Mark, and as and when I get updates I'll post them here too. If anyone wants the designs, they're available publically.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10