x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ok, who wants to get open source to the HPC?

1 2 3
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 2:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Chiark and all, while we are at it, can we try to make sure that it is a FLASH ROM and not a use once and be stuck with it ROM ...
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 3:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Greetings!

In a great mood, as I just received my brand new 720 today!!

So far it's great!

Anyway....I think given the state of WinCE and what I've learned from using Linux based Zauruses the past 2 years, I'd strongly recommend going with Linux...

Once you do this, you're free of the constraints that Microsoft creates or the device manufacturer...In turn Linux opens up a whole new world of apps that can be available to use and still supported and improved!

Anyway, just my 2 cents..... YMMV....

Mark
 Top of the page
PocketDVD not logged
PocketDVD not logged Page Icon Posted 2005-07-01 5:47 PM
#
There are already some things out there, but unfortunately I havent gotten them to compile.

you can find doom/quake ports with source code, and also betaplayer is open source.

Unfortunately there is so much that needs to be set up, and even then everything has to be done exact, and in my case, after numerous times on spending hours/days on trying to set up an enviroment that exacly matches the ones specified in the source documentation, it errors out as soon as I hit compile.
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 10:39 AM
#
As much as I hate Linux as much as Mr. Gates (devoted Microsoft fan here!) and think open source is over-rated, I think it would be great to see Linux made available to Handheld PCs (all versions)...

Microsoft have abandoned the Handheld PC, a platform that I think still has a lot of life left; by opening the Handheld PC to the Linux and open source communities, the hundreds of users out there can keep the dream alive themselves!
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 10:42 AM
#
Linux CE'd have to be easy to use though, 'cause I don't know Linux for sh*t...
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 11:08 AM
#
H/PC Elite

CybaCowboy - 2005-07-03 3:42 PM

Linux CE'd have to be easy to use though, 'cause I don't know Linux for sh*t...

Yea, I agree, I know no Linux at all, so giving me a Linux Command Prompt and expecting me to know how to run the GUI is a no-go!

Nick
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok, have a look at this link, it has fairy simple instructions on how to get linux on your H/PC. but a requirement for that is that you have some kind of linux in your PC (either installed or using a liveCD).

if you have any doubts about using the command line, remember there's always the "help" command. Aditionally, *ix systems include a manual for every app they have, which can be invoked from command line with a simple "man <name of command>"

If somebody wants to try linux on their H/PC's, i'd be more than happy to help. I'm in no way a linux expert, but i can give you a little help. IM if you'd like the idea
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 3:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Just an observation, but... what link?
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 3:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

You guys can relax, Linux isn't all about the command prompt anymore....

Most Linux distros (distributions) have acknowledged this issue by providing a 'windows' type GUI environment that shields you from the command line interface. However, even in those environments it's there as an option if you want to use it, but it's just an option. You can use Linux and virtually never use the command line if you don't want to.

As for Linux installation it varies. Some installs are command line based, some have a simple GUI and some have graphical installers that again are similar to what you'd expect with Windows or Macs today.

Every distro is different I've found and that's part of the fun of using Linux, it comes in many flavors and on a PC at least, you can try out one or more until you find the one that suits you best.

Myself, only have been dabbling with Linux for about the past 2 years or so....but the more I use it the more I like it and see its benefits over what Microsoft offers... I've been settling in with Debian distro and really like it's built-in ability to easily with one command update itself and all the apps you've installed! There's even a free GUI version of this too, called Synaptic...

BTW, this doesn't mean that I don't like Microsoft products or don't use them, I do. Just like more and more the choices available with Linux....

HTH,

Mark
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-03 5:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2005-07-03 2:00 PM

Just an observation, but... what link?

sorry, stupid me (right now i'm in a corner repeating: "i must double check my messages before posting them" ) . the link is this this one

And archimark is right, linux is not just about CLI, it also has some very powerful, yet user friendly GUI's.

Hope this helps

Edited by matrixcore 2005-07-03 5:37 PM
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 4:28 AM
#
If I was to ever consider replacing Windows CE on my Jornada 820 with Linux, it would first and foremost need to be at least as stable as Windows CE 2.11.

Secondly, the Linux would either need to be made available on a user-replaceable ROM (as someone else suggested in this thread) or made available as a simple, graphical installation (ala. Windows PC setup).
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 4:37 AM
#
Linux CE would have to at least provide the same functionality as Windows CE, but additional functionality would be warmly welcomed.

I would also expect full compatibility with the hardware I was using it on (in my case, a Jornada 820).

I know I ask a lot, but you have to keep in mind that I would be prepared to pay for this, generously if Linux CE was brought up to commercial quality!
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 4:43 AM
#
Do I ever expect to see such a version of Linux made available?

Unlikely, but who knows, maybe the Linux community will prove me wrong and give Windows CE a real run for its money...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 5:00 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Have you got a drawing, part number, picture or manufacturer of that connector?

It's a 140-pin molex connector, in the 55299 series. Molex sites say they're available and active, but suppliers seem thin on the ground. We'll get there

I'll chase the supplier again today.

Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 5:03 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Cybacowboy, have a look at what's going on with JLime. It's not yet there on the ease of install, or ROMability, but it's really making great leaps and bounds! To get the best, you need a 680 with the 32MB upgrade, or a 690... But this does look extremely positive for Linux on CE devices.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10