x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Notification: Cannot execute....weird

Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-01-26 11:55 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I recently installed the Palm Emulator "StyleTap" on my J720. I wasn't happy with it, so I uninstalled it through Remove Programs, and then manually deleted the folder, and the files in Windows/App Manager.

Everytime I turn on the device I get this message:

Notification
Cannot execute \Storage Card\StyleTap\Styletap.exe

I manually looked through most of the files on the device, and looked through the registry. I deleted everything that said StyleTap. I still got the message.

I used Total Commander to search both the device files and the registry, and could find no more references. I still get this message. What's weird is that message appears NOT just on reboot, but everytime I power on.

Suggestions, please? Thanks.

Ellen

Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-01-26 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yo have a wrong unotification. This is not registry, not a file.
To operate with notifications yo need some sys tool... I haven't seen anything, except FdcSoft TaskManager (dotfred.net/taskmgr.htm). Execheck it first (ayg required), if it executes go to the notifications tab. It works without any icons on my Sig, so should on Jornada. The first button - Refresh, 2-nd - add a notification, 3-d - delete selected notif., 4-th - edit a notif., fifth - remove duplicate events and some special functions for WM smartphones, sixth - disable notif., eight - select all. Chose the notification, that should run StyleTap.exe and delete it.

If TaskMgr don't work, try searching some early versions (<2.0) of MemMaid (MemoryMaid).

If MemMaid doesn't also run, i'll try to think out anything more. At lest you can hardreset your unit.)))
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-01-26 12:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Great. Thanks very much for the advice. I'll see which of those I can get working.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-01-26 1:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Incidentally, if things work on Sig III, that is no guarantee at all that they will work on Jornada. Jornada runs CE 3.0 whereas Sig III runs CE 4.1, and in this there is a large difference. My recollection is that the Task Manager will not run sufficiently on Jornada, not even with RedGear. I personally tried to make it run, as it is a very useful tool.

I believe the original poster is a licensed RedGear user. RTFM reported that MemMaid runs with RedGear, so that should work for him.

Edited by isotherm 2009-01-26 1:34 PM
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-01-26 3:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yes, I remembered that post about MemMaid on the Alpaxo forum. The software company still has available for download the older PPC 2002 version, so I'll try that via RedGear tonight. Thanks.

(P.S. That should work for her....)

Edited by Desertway 2009-01-26 3:11 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 1:19 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

JHack - 2009-01-26 6:21 PM

It works without any icons on my Sig, so should on Jornada.

oh stop saying it works on your sig so works on jornada too... isotherm already warned you, but i have to stress that i agree with him, because such posts are really bad advice
...much easier to just use redgear on jornada

there are native HPC apps that can list and clear notifications, I will have to recall the program names.

Edited by cmonex 2009-01-27 1:20 AM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 3:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I think notifications are stored in the registry at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications ?

EDIT: Maybe you could also use sktools to remove the notification. On another forum, someone suggested this for someone else that was having a very similar problem.

EDIT 2: You might also try one of these two freeware utilities designed specifically for removing those kinds of leftover or undesirable notifications: one from ScaryBear Software here or pmClean.

For the developer types out there, according to xda-developers the managing/clearing of notifications can be done with the following API functions: CeGetUserNotificationHandles, CeGetUserNotification, and CeClearUserNotification.

Edited by mscdex 2009-01-27 3:21 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 3:41 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

cmonex - 2009-01-27 9:19 AM

oh stop saying it works on your sig so works on jornada too... isotherm already warned you, but i have to stress that i agree with him, because such posts are really bad advice

Damn it i don't claim it will work on Jornada. I say if it works, it would work this way.
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2009-01-27 2:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Well, I did get the problem taken care of using MemMaid 1.73 under RedGear. So a thank you to both JHack and Isotherm. This is the first time a notification issue has come up.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12