x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How would you classify the upcoming Nokia 770?

1 2
Idoru Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 1:39 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Would this be considered a handheld PC?

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/770

Nokia terms it an "Internet Tablet". It appears to have the basic software common to PDAs. I'm wondering where this will fit in the HPC family tree.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 7:21 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, in our case a H/PC is a Windows CE device with a keyboard. A device running CE/HPC without a keybaord (SIMpad) would be a T/PC - around here anyway.

I would say it's a webpad or Tablet.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 3:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I haven't seen this thread; I have just posted about Nokia 770 in News Forum, sorry!

Although it cannot be classified as a HPC there is a strong message: we might be going back to HPC-like portables. They look similar (but no keyboard). I was surprised because of Linux based OS. Battery life was a bad surprise...
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 3:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

No offence but this does not resemble a HPC in any way other than the landscape orientation of the screen. Many devices are now appearing with a landscape screens - Tapwave Zodiac, Nokia 770, Plan-on, Motorola MDA (or whatever it's called) but none of these come close to the functionality of a HPC because of a lack of a decent (i.e usuable) keyboard, decent expansion options and/or flexible OS.

Having said all that, maybe, just maybe, with some new and quite innovative devices being released something special will be on the horizon in the form of a HPC.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 4:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

What about this one?
Model 01 Ultra Personal Computer

Handheld features Windows XP 1GHz processor, 20GB hard drive, 256MB of RAM

http://www.oqo.com/

http://www.oqo.com/company/news/releases/pr0010.html

About OQO
The OQO model 01 is a complete Windows® XP® computer that fits in your pocket. It has all the functionality of an ultraportable notebook including a 1GHz processor, 20GB hard drive, Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, USB, and FireWire®. Docked in the desktop stand with an external monitor and keyboard, it is your desktop computer, but at 14 ounces you can take it with you and have access to all your applications and data wherever you go. OQO was founded in San Francisco, California in 2000 by Jory Bell and Jonathan Betts-LaCroix along with a core group of engineers.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-29 4:53 PM
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 4:50 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Preproduction unit? These are already on sale here in the UK and I guess are also available in the US and Japan. This is more like a tiny PC however and doesn't have the instant-on we all know and love with the HPC form factor. I wouldn't say no to one though

Alas, they are VERY expensive
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 4:57 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

With hibernation ability of XP, I think I could wait 20 seconds though. I was wrong about preproduction. It is a US company, not sure where they are manufactured though. I wish they weren’t so expensive!
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 5:25 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yeah, some of the newer (and smaller) technology is really expensive - look at the cost of the Libretto or the Sony U50 - they're just way to expensive for my meagre budget. Very desirable/portable computers though.

Incidentally, I forgot to add some devices to the 'landscape' screen based devices in my earlier post. We have Portable Media Devices, Sat Nav devices, Handheld Gaming consoles and more all appearing in the lanscape format. I'm sure it won't be too long before we see a new HPC variant hit the market.

I do like the look of the new PalmOne Lifedrive and, like some of the Sharp Zaurus range of Linux handhelds, it features a 4GB hard drive built in. Plenty of storage space is a MUST for me on any handheld and if it ain't built in it must be able to be added. Unfotunately the Palm's never seem to have much in the way of connectivity/expansion and I have to say I'm not a big Palm OS fan.

You never know, the Zodiac comes out with dual expansion slots and in landscape format, PalmOne release a hard drive based device, Alphasmart release a Palm variant with a full keyboard, put all these features together and you have a good HPC form factor device (even if it isn't running Windows). Tapwave have suddenly been quiet recently.....
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

this also, although it is also XP, and a lot smaller. Almost PPC .
http://www.tiqit.com/prodoverview.shtml

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-29 6:01 PM
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 6:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

mmmmm, kinda reminds me of those espresso mini PC's but with an added screen. Seems a little underpowered with only 300MHz processor (plenty of RAM and storage though). I bet that will be expensive if a production model ever gets released. The OQO was under development for well over two years if memory serves correct - there were rumours and announcements a plenty but no actual product (until relatively recently). I suspect this device may suffer the same fate.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 11:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It seems to be another "closed" system, meaning it isn't designed for using various applications.

Interesting discussion here, but why no one mentioned the Sony Location Free TV. The 7 inch model is close to the size (actually it's a better size with higher dpi IMO) and does internet and email, in addition to TV over wifi of course

The Nokia does have one thing I miss on CE devices: Flash 6. But without any information on the hardware capabilities, it could turn out useless...

I believe a PPC in landscape true VGA mode is a better device than this Nokia, because of all the software you can run on it, in addition to basically everything the Nokia can do. And of course there are currently 6 models available on the market already.

And as mentioned, I also think this has not much to do with HPCs. The form is much different. But will this trend spawn a new HPC? Doubtful, but hopeful
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 11:50 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hey Takwu,
What do you think about the OQO Model 01 Ultra Personal Computer I gave the link to? I would like more Opinions. From what I can tell, other that the touch type keyboard; that computer is what we have all been hoping for.

No it does not have CE, it has XP. The real XP, full capabilities of all programs that people need. Yes it is a very small PC. Handheld PC! 1Gig processor.

Yes it is expensive! But so was the Jornada 6XX when it came out. Patience and the price will come down. Reminds me of the NEC 900. Yes that is still too expensive for most of us.
Please anyone tell me I'm right/wrong. But I believe that computer/or something very close, is what people keep asking for in the HPC community.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-29 11:55 PM
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 3:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yoldering - 2005-05-30 4:50 AM

Please anyone tell me I'm right/wrong. But I believe that computer/or something very close, is what people keep asking for in the HPC community.

IMHO there is no right and wrong when it comes to selecting a handheld since everybody has different opinions and needs - I find the smaller HPC's like the Jornada (which IS a great device) too restrictive in terms of screen/keyboard size but it is very portable. The MP range and the Telios suit me better for the reasons mentioned above but they are no way as portable. I don't think there will ever be a device that is suitable for EVERYONE.

Just look at the varied models of HPC's that were released over the years - there is quite a variety and that is because manufacturers understood that different type's of users needs varied.

I don't think you'll see the OQO come down in price significantly because these things aren't (and IMO never will be) manufactured in great numbers. All that tiny technology makes it expensive to produce and unless the manufacturer spent a fortune on marketing to convince end users that the form factor is both desirable and usable, I'm afraid it is either doomed to failure or will be produced in such small numbers that the price will remain high and the computer aimed firmly at a niche market or for those with big deep pockets.

I would think that most people who are interested in, or already own a HPC, do so because of a number of factors that are missing in all of the devices that we have discussed here. Namely,

1) Instant on capability (ready for IMMEDIATE use)
2) Good battery life
3) Portability - reasonable size and very robust (prefreably no moving parts)
4) A decent (usable) keyboard
5) Good PIM capabilities
6) Good connectivity
7) Expansion options
8) A robust OS

For me, these are the most important factors when choosing a handheld computer (not necessarily in that order) but other people may have other needs not mentioned here.

As I mentioned in earlier posts in this thread many devices include some of these features but not all. I could buy a Portable Media Center for MP3, video, and photo's on the move. I could buy a Tapwave Zodiac for PIM and gaming. I could buy a web tablet for wireless email/web surfing. None of the devices in this discussion can do all of these things but my MP790 and Telios can

The OQO COULD do all these things but again, it is way too expensive. I hope Dell do come up with something based on the Clio as discussed in another thread but otherwise I'm going to prey that my current HPC's don't die on me any time soon or that a new HPC will be released in the not too distant future. Here's hoping....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 10:14 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

these are just my needs, and a reasonable screen size too (hvga is the minimum requrement), i mean physical size as well - so these 4.13" VGA devices don't really appeal to me... far from a real hpc size for me.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 10:18 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh and you weren't careful when you said the OQO would satisfy all these needs, because it can't do instant-on (hibernation isn't the same.. i've tried it) and has horrible battery life, has a hd, hasn't got a good keyboard etc... neither of the first 4 factors are ok with the OQO.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12