x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Trying to run GedWise with the help of RedGear

Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-01-31 12:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I should go to the Alpaxo web site and post this, but wanted to give a heads-up on my attempts to get GedWise to run on the Jornada 728. I started with a cold-booted 728.

GedWise is one of the best genealogy programs for mobile use and has run on the Palm platforms for years and would love to get it to run here.

I loaded Redgear and then the 2 versions of GedWise (at different times and to different storage locations, of course) from here: http://www.batteryparksoftware.com/download.htm

I loaded the 2003 version first and when I try to go to the Start/Programs menu the system hangs. I removed the 2003 ver of GEDWISE and reinstalled it a couple more times picking default and storage card in the different tries, but got the same "hang", after removing it each time.

Next, after removing v2003, I tried the 2005 version of GedWise from the above link. After loading I could get to the Start/Programs menu and initialized Redgear and then ran GedWise, but got the classic no-workie-turkey message "GedWise is not a valid Windows CE application".

Any suggestions?

Edited by Hal 2009-01-31 12:55 PM
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2009-01-31 2:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you installed the WM2003 version, it probably crashed because it uses a 16 bit icon and since CE 3.0 for Handheld PC 2000 doesn't support those, it just crashes the device. If you really want to run your program now, just copy the exe to your desktop and convert the icons to 8bit (256 color) using a program like Reshacker or Microangelo studio on your PC. Redgear doesn't support patching the icons but it should be available in a future Redgear version.

Redgear also doesn't officially support CE 5.0 applications yet. It probably didn't show WM5 version's icon because it has a CE 5.0(or 5.01) OS version and redgear only patches the OS versions up to and including 4.21.
Hopefully redgear will have official Windows CE 5.0 support in the future.
Hope this was helpful.

Edited by TFGBD 2009-01-31 2:44 PM
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-01-31 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Elite

thanks for the tips!!
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-01-31 10:54 PM
#
H/PC Elite

RedGear does fix hicolor icons, but not yet when browsing in Explorer, etc. Rather than hacking the application, it is much easier to open command prompt, change to the directory with the program, and try to run it. In the case of Gedwise, it still freezes the system (which I already reported on the Alpaxo forums). There's nothing for it until the next version of RedGear.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-02-01 2:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Pretty nifty software nonetheless. I ran it on my 900C just to see how it works. It flawlessly processed a GED file and converted it into a database that GedWise was able to view. Too bad it is only a viewer on the HPC and doesn't allow direct input of data.

(SCR_0001.jpg)

(SCR_0002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SCR_0001.jpg (28KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments SCR_0002.jpg (26KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-02-12 11:29 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Did you run it on your 900C with RedGear or without??
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-12 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Since the menu bar is at the bottom, he ran it without RedGear. Also, given the control styles in the screenshot, he is likely using cmonex's ROM, with which RedGear is not compatible. I don't know whether it works on the 900C with RedGear or not.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 13