x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

j720: Which hardware to buy+ which cab (file) to run GPS navigation system?

1 2
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-01 3:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hello!

j720: Which hardware + which cab (file) to run GPS navigation system?
thanks

http://freeshells.ch/~wicked74/j720/images/redgear/redgear-tomtom.jpg

Edited by patrick295767 2009-02-01 3:25 PM
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-01 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

In that screenshot, RTFM is running TomTom 6 (which needs to be purchased) with RedGear. As far as I can tell, you aren't a registered RedGear user, so you would also need to purchase that. The last element would be a compatible GPS, for which you can look through the HCL on this site.
 Top of the page
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-01 5:33 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

isotherm - 2009-02-01 4:48 PM

In that screenshot, RTFM is running TomTom 6 (which needs to be purchased) with RedGear. As far as I can tell, you aren't a registered RedGear user, so you would also need to purchase that. The last element would be a compatible GPS, for which you can look through the HCL on this site.

strange cuz I paid some kind of 15 euros and got seen the bill somewhere. I have redgear running on my jornada.
I havent found so much improvement still with it but I hope it comes. It's sooo difficult to use Jornada and cabs for novice.

Anyhow if we need to buy tomtom 6, I wouldnt mind it at all.
I saw usb gps receiver for 100 euros around only, but I dont know whether it will be compatible wiht jornada 720 ... not easy

Edited by patrick295767 2009-02-01 5:35 PM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2009-02-01 6:05 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

USB GPS receiver is a no-go, even for MP900C.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-01 7:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Well, I don't have any registered users named "Patrick." Perhaps it's a pseudonym. Anyway, as usual, you'll receive better support for running things with RedGear on the Alpaxo forums.

As for GPS receivers, as I already said, check the HCL on this site. It has been provided so that you don't have to guess whether things will work. Since the Jornada has no USB port, a USB GPS receiver certainly won't work. Most likely you are looking for a CompactFlash GPS card. It shouldn't be nearly so much as 100EUR either.
 Top of the page
rbsfou Page Icon Posted 2009-02-01 11:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Or a compact flash bluetooth card with a bluetooth GPS receiver.... (No experience with bluetooth cards on 720 myself, sorry...You could try CMonex as she knows everything!)
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-02 12:37 AM
#
H/PC Elite

When I briefly used CE devices as a GPS, I used a CompactFlash Holux GR-271 card with a CF->PCMCIA adapter.

Several Bluetooth cards work in the Jornada; I personally have tried the 3Com XJack one (this one works not so well) and the Socket bluetooth (this one works well and is internal). But with the cost of buying a bluetooth card plus a bluetooth GPS, as well as needing to keep the bluetooth GPS charged separately, I opted for the more direct approach.
 Top of the page
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-02 2:43 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Isnt there a database which pictures what works well.

Or actually, what's the best to buy whatever the costs?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-02 3:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

People's experiences with each card will vary based on their different needs. Several people here (myself included) have used the Holux card isotherm describes; some have found it to suit their needs very well, while others (like me) have a preference for another card. I personally like my Pharos iGPS card better.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-02-02 9:46 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

As far as i remember there are some serial (RS232) GPS receivers. Try to find one. This shouldn't cost too much.

The only problem is that TomTom may not have manual COM port selection. Though there're other GPS apps.

Edited by JHack 2009-02-02 10:25 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-02-02 12:11 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-02 1:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Ouch.

FWIW, Pharos' Ostia navigation software does support manual COM port selection (at least the versions I've tried).
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-02 1:41 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I assume the point is to run a full-featured GPS navigation software with maps, and at this time TomTom is the best candidate on the Jornada.

That is quite expensive for an RS232 GPS. CompactFlash GPS are cheaper than that on eBay, particularly if you are patient.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-02-02 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Bluetooth reciver with socket bluetooth card is probs a good bet as it removes the GPS needing drivers that work on HPC2000.

IIRC tomtom6 also supports manual com port selection.

Edited by mr-mac 2009-02-02 2:02 PM
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-02-03 6:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Trying to cut the wheat from the weeds; is that to say the GR-271 w/RedGear/w Tom Tom 6 will function as displayed in the opening graphic of this thread???
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.282 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 16