x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 backup battery issue

Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-02-13 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi,
I am writing for reportin some backupbattery problem.
I havenotused my Jornada for some days and when I took it again for use main battery was down, so I recharged it and everything went fine.
Now often during working on J720 a message pops up saying my backup battery need replacement. This one was replaced recently but assuming that was drained during the term J720 wasn't used why battery status say backup battery is on high charge?
I hope someone could help.
Thanks
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-02-13 6:02 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have seen the same think - most likely backup battery is gone and should be replaced. My problem was caused by an application which wakes up J728 during midnight and put it in active status (green light flashing). I do not know why but power setting which are supposed to shut down device in 2 minutes does not do so. Thus main battery drains for several hours and after that backup battery is heavily used. I replaced 2-3 backup batteries until I found what is wrong. Right now it is the same story but I found that device is woken up ones a week Wed/Thu midnight. So every Thu morning I shut down J728 manually Unfortunately I do not know how to see which application causes this problem. I do think it is some of Alpaxo applications (3ComĀ® Wireless Drivers or WLAN Monitor Utility - good applications at all) - I bought Wi-Fi card from them. There is no such a problem on cleared J728.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-02-13 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

On my J728 the "Tasks" and "Calendar" apps linked on the desktop both can flash (or sound) an alert. For example, if a Task is defined to alert every day, then that will draw on your battery. So, check them and turn off any such alerts.

Changing the 2032 system bat to a new one will show if it is the bat or something in the system.
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-02-14 5:19 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks Hal,

It is not "task" or "calendar" because I do not have anything there! J728 flashes green and according to manual it means that it is an active status. I watched what is happening during Wed/Thu midnight and it is simple - J728 wakes up and immediately after that shuts down the screen. Then green light is flashing and that's all. Main battery is drained in several hours and after that backup battery... Strange, I do think this is caused by an application / driver.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-14 5:31 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've had this issue too in the past. It turned out to be due to lack of a solid connection between the backup battery and the little swivel clip that holds it in place (and also functions as a connection to the positive side of the battery). Try bending that downward a bit (with the backup battery out) to make a firmer connection when the battery is put back in.
 Top of the page
jorel101 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-20 2:48 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

had the same issue on my 720. new back up battery would say it needed to be replaced after i didn't use the device for a good while. after i charged the main battery and continued to use it (i ignored the back up battery message) it cleared up. I suspect the back up battery drew charge from the main battery and sorted itself out.
 Top of the page
arlex Page Icon Posted 2009-02-20 4:30 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

jorel101 - 2009-02-20 2:48 PM

had the same issue on my 720. new back up battery would say it needed to be replaced after i didn't use the device for a good while. after i charged the main battery and continued to use it (i ignored the back up battery message) it cleared up. I suspect the back up battery drew charge from the main battery and sorted itself out.

The fact is clear: a dead main battery drains also the back-up battery and the other way round, charging the main battery brings some juice into the back-up battery.

If my memory doesn't go wrong, I recall this issue was on a few years ago on this forum: a certain bug of J720 was causing automatic start at mid-night, hence running the battery empty. And this was not applicable for J728. I can't remember the suggested solution. May be a search of the forum would help.

Good luck.
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-02-21 1:44 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Actually I found this. So, let's look for NEC made fix

I am not sure about your WiFi cards or drivers. But the Linksys WiFi driver is known to prevent power management to go into suspend mode automatically - but this only happens as long as it maintains a connection. Anyway I never had problems suspending manually.

To solve the auto sleep problem, NEC made a fix for the MP900 (HPC2000). I tried that fix on my Jornada 728, with WCP11 ver 3 and official driver, and everything was fixed. The excellent WiFi connection didn't keep my Jornada awake all night anymore

Hope this helps.

Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-02-21 2:34 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I tried CE Geek way and it keeps giving that message.

My wifi card as the power save option then I remove it when no used.

The point is if also you guys have noticed that in spite of message the backup battery indicator report it as full charge (for backup battery).

Somehow I noticed that after using it a while the message doesn't pops up anymore.

I'll take an eye on the issue to see if it works out then I'll replace the backup battery.
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-02-21 4:31 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

So, looking back at history I was able to discover hot water

>> NEC has a fix for the midnight auto on issue, designed for MP900. It worked for my Jornada 728 <<

Nec file is here:

http://support.necam.com/drivers/index.cfm?M=691
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 12