x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC900c HELP HELP

Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-02-25 6:07 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi,
yesterday I was near to have a heartake.

I was surfing on the web on battery power till I reached low power. I noticed that my 900c disconnected internal disk and CF storage card so I decided to switch off it.
Before doing that I saw the charging icon on the tray icon bar then I switched it off.

When I went chraging my 900c it didn't start nor led switched on. AC adapter worked on my jornada 720 so it wasn't the problem but there was nothing to do.

So I left my MBP unplaggued and without the main battery for the whole night.

This morning I inserted back the main battery and plugged the Ac adapter and my 900c start again to charge and works well.

So I am asking what might have happened? Why it didn't starting the charge?

P.S.: I lost every program unplagging main battery but I backed up everything with Backy but it didn't recognize the backup files. How come?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2009-02-25 6:52 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The LED needs to be lit; it indicates a good connection to the AC line. You may have a faulty plug or the connection (socket) in the unit may be slightly loose.

The backup battery is only good for 6-8 hours (I forget what the manual says). Normally, the low battery warning comes on when there is still enough power in the main battery to keep the contents for a few days (even if the unit itself can't be used normally). So, since you lost everything, it looks like your main battery pack is going bad (since it's depleting faster than normal). It's not a critical issue unless you want to be disconnected from A/C for extended periods. ;-)

I don't use Backy (shame on me), but I'd guess that the files are encrypted or otherwise highly compressed.

Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-02-25 7:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I thought that it was gone kind on protection mode due to down power. May it be the case?
Connection doesn't seem to be loose.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-02-25 8:19 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My guess is a hardware problem. Loose power connector on the motherboard, or a kink of some type on the adapter that is transient, only fouls if the cord is moved in some particular fashion, or the plug into the wall is stressed.

It is possible that the unit after long use is heating up, causing the solder joints to expand opening the circuit. Hard to tell, you will have to just watch and see if it ever repeats....

Backy will create backupfiles, but you won't be able to reinstall them until you reinstall Backy again...that is unless when you created your backup files, you selected the option of creating self-extracting ones....that is what I do.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-02-25 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

We'll see..today I have rebuild the battery pack. Let's hope for the best. Now it is charging.
Somehow, with the battery I have bought today from an electronic shop come a protection circuit (I didn't use it) and istructions says that in particular condition it could turn on protection mode and cut off power. I thought that would be the same if the protection circuit of the MBP works the same way. Somehow it is just to speak.

Regarding Backy, it was installed when I tried to backup everything. I launch backy Restore and when I chose the file it gave me error. Maybe my mistake.

Thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-02-25 12:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's why I always put restore programs on the CF card (or in internal flash storage if the device has it). Then you just have to navigate to the folder and tap on the program directly to activate it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10