x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How to internet surf faster with the Jornada 720 (ram, iexplore...)

patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 7:55 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How to internet surf faster with the Jornada 720 (ram, iexplore...)

Is opera faster?
How to install opera?
How to install opera-mini?

shall we put the slider to the left ior to the right of the ram (with storage card of eg 4gb)?

Best regards
Patrick
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 8:00 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Heh, this question again. All of your questions have already been addressed on the forum multiple times. Briefly:

- Some people say Opera is faster. It depends what kind of websites you are using. Try it for yourself and see.
- To run Opera, you need RedGear. Since you claimed to be a registered RedGear user, this should be no problem.
- There are threads showing how to install Opera Mini, although it is not as simple since one must download J2ME runtimes.

If you are installing most programs to storage card, then it is best to leave most RAM for program memory (slider almost as far left as possible). It is also helpful to delete some of the sample files included, like the Northwind database, etc.

Edited by isotherm 2009-02-26 8:01 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 10:29 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Also you (patrick) should remember, that if there is 0 kB of object store available, some drivers and apps may not load.
 Top of the page
patrick2957677
patrick2957677 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 3:57 PM
#
isotherm - 2009-02-26 8:00 AM

Heh, this question again. All of your questions have already been addressed on the forum multiple times. Briefly:

- Some people say Opera is faster. It depends what kind of websites you are using. Try it for yourself and see.
- To run Opera, you need RedGear. Since you claimed to be a registered RedGear user, this should be no problem.
- There are threads showing how to install Opera Mini, although it is not as simple since one must download J2ME runtimes.

If you are installing most programs to storage card, then it is best to leave most RAM for program memory (slider almost as far left as possible). It is also helpful to delete some of the sample files included, like the Northwind database, etc.

I used redgear, and I really had to un-install it. I really dont see the advantage of using it.

redgear >
doesnt permit to run opera / or opera mini out of hte box, lets say, from the mcdex/wicked websites.
ceagenda is not working if you wanna had a meeting
adobe acrobat is running crap in the displaying hte pdf
winpcfreec somthing scanning isnt working with redgear enabled

here the cab for ceagenda>
http://patrick295767.pa.funpic.org/jornada/jornada720/stable/

"slider almost as far left as possible). "
thank you.
by the way, read the text what s written, and check the slider left and right
it says the opposite

Best regards

Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 4:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If it is in the house you could also look at using RDP to a big PC.

Configure browser with slim menus. I thing firefox has a good theme with small menus

John
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 4:50 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Increasing available memory will help IE 4 some, but not too much. In the end, it is still IE 4 -- decade old technology.

RedGear is an upgrade and does enable Opera Mobile 8.65 to run out of the box on a Jornada. Many people (over 100 now) have done so, and I have provided the links and detailed instructions to you each time you ask this same question.

If something runs "out of the box," it means you download it directly from the software developer's website, not a third party site. So the first step would be to download Opera Mobile directly from Opera, with the links I have provided previously. I can't even find Opera Mobile or Opera Mini on mscdex or RTFM's sites, so I'm not sure what you're even talking about there.
 Top of the page
chrismeyer6 Page Icon Posted 2009-02-26 6:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

i have red gear installed on my jornada 728 and opera installed no problem and runs just fine so if your having problems so i am not sure why you are having problems
 Top of the page
spacman Page Icon Posted 2009-03-10 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just installed Redgear to my Jornada 728 and tried to install Opera 8.65, but installer won't install it to CF card. I tried to install it under "Storage card/Program Files/Opera". Installer copies 4 first files and after that says that files can not be copied. i have 4 gb Sandisk which is about half full. Opera installs to main memory fine. Any ideas why opera won't work from storage card?
 Top of the page
pipa
pipa Page Icon Posted 2009-03-10 3:10 PM
#
You must download "Redistributables" from web alpaxo - http://www.alpaxo.com/downloads/get.php?id=17&cust=
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2009-03-10 4:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Redistributables are not necessary to run Opera; they are just the MFC runtimes. (They might be necessary to run other programs though.)

The procedure to install Opera to Storage Card is documented on the Alpaxo forums, and that is the best place to ask these sorts of questions. It sounds like you are already trying to install into the proper directory. Note that many WM2003/WM5/WM6 users also report problems installing to Storage Card, so the problem is universal. This will be fixed in the next version of RedGear, since wceload will be replaced entirely. But until then, it is possible to install to main memory and then move the folders to the storage card (as \Storage Card\Application Data and \Storage Card\Program Files\Opera).
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-03-10 7:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Let me further emphasize isotherm's point about visiting the Alpaxo forums for answers regarding RedGear. It's pretty easy to get there: just click on the "www" above in isotherm's post, and navigate to the forums on that site.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 33