x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J728, DRM & WMP 10

Shalynne Page Icon Posted 2009-02-27 4:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

A couple of days ago, I synced my J728 with my laptop's Windows Music Player 10, and copied a handful of WMA and MP3 songs to the CF card via the sync process. All of them played beautifully.

Tonight, I tried to add more songs to my J728 the same way. Most of the songs copied just fine, but a couple of them had license issues. (Don't know why ... ALL the music is legally purchased.)

Then I tried to play the songs on my J728. NONE of them would play -- including the songs I'd copied the first time -- because "license could not be found."

Since I'd copied a whole lotta songs, I had to do a soft reset and delete the whole folder from my CF card.

Fortunately, everything still plays on my laptop.

I ran into the same sort of mess when I first transferred the songs from my desktop to my laptop. If I recall, I was able to copy the license files directly from the desktop, and the laptop got happy.

So (assuming I can find the license folder again), can I simply copy the licenses to my J728, and if so, is there a special way to do that?

Or did I sin too mightily by trying to use my legally purchased music on a third device -- my own handheld, for my ears only, and now must suffer in penitent silence?

Any help would be much appreciated!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-02-27 6:01 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

A sin is right. This is the problem with DRM systems and why they are for a multitude of reasons - plain awful. Vote with your feet and wallet and buy from legal DRM free sources.

To the specific problem at hand, WMP is supposed to sort out license activities on its own when synching to the PDA, so I suspect that your files may be using a type of DRM that is no longer supported by the version on WMP 1.2 - or the files that you attempted to copy were legitimately out of licenced device profile movements.

Try synching everything off the PDA and then back onto it again, start with a known working and a known bad file and for both check what the license status is before and after sync.
 Top of the page
Shalynne Page Icon Posted 2009-03-01 1:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you, C:Amie!

I downloaded that batch of songs a loooonnngg time ago ... back when the choices were basically DRM or Crime.

Haven't had a chance to play with syncing again. Will probably try it tonight.

I totally understand the need to protect copyright ... but I suspect DRM serves only to punish the honest music buyer.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 12