x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680 "Connection" issue

1 2
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 10:24 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

My main pc uses a wireless internet PCI card to connect to the net via my wireless router, I realised only this morning that my Jornada won't connect to my main pc "unless" the main pc is connected to the internet even though I won't be using the net in any way for my purpose as my objective with the Jornada is simply to remotely control my "DJ Software" which has absolutely nothing to do with the net. This worries me becuase if the net goes down or if I should have internet connectivity issues especially since my main pc will be located "outside" of the home, then the Jornada will be useless.
Can anyone tell me of any other options I may have to connect to my main pc WITHOUT needing to have an internet connection?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 10:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i'm surprised because within a home lan, you don't need to have a working internet connection to reach the other computer. just use the lan ip (192.168.xx.xx) for connecting to the PC.
how do you mean located "outside" of the home?
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 11:30 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

The router is in my living room inside the house, my main pc will be physically inside my Garage at the back of the house so it be a great distance away from the wireless router.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 11:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmmm is this distance already causing connectivy problems for the pc? maybe when internet isn't working on it, nor does the network. that could be the source of your problem. but i can be wrong...
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 12:07 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Well, I don't know yet, right now my main pc is situated just 5' away from the router in my living room, this coming Saturday I will know for sure about any "interference" issues regarding connectivity concerning "distance" as I will test this out in my Garage for the first time but for now I have to sort out this internet connection thing.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 12:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

are you absolutely sure that a working internet connection on your PC is needed for the jornada? try testing it again.
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 2:45 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Tested and tested, would not connect without explorer connected to the net.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 3:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Strange.

This is either a network config error, a router settings error or a firmware error. I'd recommend you and your other half invesitgavte any firmware upgrades for the WAP/Router and spend some time going through the router config in detail for issues.

As cmonex says, if it's true, then it is far, far far from normal.
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 9:04 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've just been told that I might have given you guys some wrong info, sorry, here's the story, we have 4 pc's at home that's connected to the Router but "my" pc is NOT the main pc, my pc is just one of the pc's that's connected. My wife says that a "main" pc cannot be connected "wirelessly" to the Router so my pc is the only one out of the 4 that has a wireless connection, does all of this now make any difference? Or, any ideas where/how to go from here to correct this problem?

Edited by mikehende 2005-06-01 9:05 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 9:33 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh i've got lost here. what do you mean by "main" pc, why is it "main" and why can't it be connected wirelessly? it doesn't matter anyway if it's lan or wlan..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 6:45 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Right,

I think that this diagram should roughly match your Network layout.

My question is where does your Internet Connection come into the configuration. A, B or C?
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 7:58 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Sorry, my wife is not here at this moment for me to ask, I will do so tonight or tomorow and will get back to you on your questions. For now, she says that what I need is an "Adhoc" connection, which is what I had used with the BE300 and VNC. She says that what I need has absolutely nothing to do with any of our ohter pc's on the network or the Router and that simply the Jornada has to connect to my pc so this issue is between the Jornada's card and my pc's wireless card. I have a DLink card and it's Utilities "Configuration" gives me the option to chosse between "Infrastructure" which is used for the net and "Adhoc" which is used for "peer to peer" type connections.

What she is saying is that I can't have both, when I need to connect to my Jornada I simply have to to choose the Adhoc option and when I need to go on the net I simply set it back to Infrastructure, no problem there. Problem is, we don't know how/where to select the Adhoc option on the Jornada, any ideas please anyone?
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 11:43 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I think I may have found the problem/answer, it seems that I need either the Jornada or the Netgear card to have something like DLink's wireless Utilities to config wireless connection mode. I will check on the Card later but in the meantime, does anyone have any idea "where" I can look on the Jornada to see if there is an Adhoc wireless option?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 11:52 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ok, so on that I have revised my diagram to below.

You have two lan segments operating there, hopefully on different ranges and subnets (crosses fingers). You basically need to bridge the two connections to get it to work.

Ad-hoc will be an option in the driver configuration utility. Not all drivers support it so not all driver config utilities will have it. Try looking for a chipset driver or an updated driver if you don't have a peer to peer (ad-hoc) option.

(mikehende.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mikehende.JPG (18KB - 22 downloads)
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 1:44 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yes, that's exactly what my wife says we will try later this evening when she gets home from work. I called Netgear and they said the card is made for laptops only and will support Adhoc if used with a laptop but will not work with a "palmtop" but my wife said that when she had loaded the drivers on the laptop she "thinks" that there was indeed and Adhoc option, so we''ll see, at least we got to the bottom of this now, thanks, will keep you guys posted.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10