x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

And finally, 3rd life for my OpenBrick

michelbel Page Icon Posted 2009-03-30 2:24 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
I once bought a Nagasaki MS-2100 'brick'PC. ( Search google on openbrick)
It is an 18cm by 12cm by 4cm complete PC - Mine without the TV-out though, it has an extra serial port.
Never got it working OK, it had problems starting up, and I finally gave up and stored it in the cupboard
During my recent spring cleaning I wanted to throw it out. Then gave it one, last, hard look. And noticed three swollen electrolytic condensators.
In a last hopeful attempt I grabbed one of my 'decoration' broken motherboards from the wall, unsoldered three similar condensators, replaced the ones in the openbrick... YES, BINGO. Finally, after three years or so, a working brick PC. It works well on an old 5V 2A supply from an ancient USB hub.
2nd life for my, born again openbrick.

And then I broke it again when flashing a wrong BIOS... .

After a search on the internet I located Uniflash, a freeware program to burn almost any BIOS.
Now it works like this: You boot any other motherboard in plain MS-DOS. While live, flip out the old BIOS, push in the
replacement BIOS chip, preferably without shorting out any connection on the board..., and flash.
results:
Motherboard 1: Failure due to undocumented bios hardware protection.
Motherboard 2,3,4 : Failure due to ditto.
etc. etc. etc.
ready to give up again, I realised a still have my hacked Capio II Thin client laying around
(Now an MS-DOS/Linux box thanks to my capability of reflashing DiskOnChip's)
Now this a a 'scary event' as the thing has NO cover on it's internal power supply, e.g.: Open to the mains.

Trusting a) my steady hand b) my luck , and especially my c) ground fault interrupter
I loaded Uniflash from a USB stick onto the Capio's DiskOnChip, opened it up. Booted, veerryy carefully removed the BIOS chip, replaced it with another BIOS chip. Attempted reflash - no good. Read the instructions. Attempted reflash with bootblock replacement.
Finally. 3rd life for my brick.

A hackers life.. Maybe I should grow up someday ( Nearing my 58'th birthday now)

Edited by michelbel 2009-03-30 2:26 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-30 12:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow great hack! no, don't stop, no need to grow up ever.
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2009-03-30 3:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
cmonex - 2009-03-29 6:44 PM

wow great hack! no, don't stop, no need to grow up ever.

If you want to see a real hardware hack: look at the bottom of my radio's page
Look what I did with a peppermill. : No batteries at all, only 4meters of antenna, and sound enough to fill the attic
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2009-03-31 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I came across this mailing list for OpenBrick users:

http://mail.nexedi.com/mailman/listinfo/openbrick

Thought you might be interested (if you didn't know about it already).

PDXMark
 Top of the page
ccdesign Page Icon Posted 2012-09-27 8:06 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I was wondering, do you still had the BIOS for the Nagasaki MS-2100? I want to boot mine from a USB removable device, but none of them work and I had hoped an update would help. I can't install XP from CD because of a driver fail and the MSDOS CD drivers screw up too.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 11