x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help !!! Intallind agere drivers Jornada 720

1 2 3
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 3:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the advice.

OK. I did steps 1,2,3. When I opened network, the 2 agere drivers available were not WLAGS46 and WLAGS46b but WLAGS461 and WLAGS461b. Does this mean I have the wrong driver?
I opened agere client, and it said "driver not loaded". so that's my prob. I did download the driver from the support page http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0031.asp as mentioned above, and used the wireless SA110.cab.

Do I need to use a different driver? Also, I'm not sure the machine even recognises the card. Lights don't go on, can't see it on the system like I can my CF card.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 4:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, the drivers you see are correct. (I think I forgot the last digit myself since I haven't had to use it recently - I usually use my CE .net devices for Web browsing lately, and the process is much easier there.) Go ahead and go through steps 3) and 4) and see what comes up. (Go ahead wth "Edit Wireless Profiles" even if it still says the driver isn't loaded. Once the card locates your network, you can remove and re-insert it, and it should load the driver.)
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've done this, found my wireless profile, and removed and reinserted the card. Still nothing is happening! Internet explorer says it's not connected.

In the network configuration box, it keeps reverting back to other drivers (not the agere one)
Also, in Agere Client, I can see my network, but is this simply because i entered the details myself earlier? or can it actually REALLY see the network?

I have had very little luck so far, but determined to make this machine work for me!

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 4:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The networks you see in the Agere Client are those detected by the card, if they show up after you tap on "Scan." (So we know the card, and the PCMCIA slot, work - we just need to get the card to use the driver.) Did you select your network before tapping "Next"?
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 4:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I didn't actually press "scan". Couldn't see where to. I clicked on edit networks, and mine came up. After that I pressed "edit", then "next" a couple of times until it got to security. But the Agere screen keeps vanishing on me after maybe 5 seconds of first coming up. So I can just about race through these options, but by the time I get to security, it dies again! Very strange. Maybe I should reinstall it?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 4:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That is strange behavior by the client utility - it's never done that for me. It certainly couldn't hurt to reinstall the driver. Let us know whether or not it does this again after reinstalling.
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 5:15 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've reinstalled - and it's still doing it!

I know the machine is recognising the card though, because if i take it off AC power, i get a message asking if i want to run the card on battery power.

I've just checked again though, and now "agere client" has vanished from my program files. and also the cab file that installed it has vanished from my CF card. It's as though it has a self-destruct mechanism!

Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 5:18 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK now "agere client has reappeared, just as unhelpful as before though.

Maybe something wrong with the download? or even my own settings?

Sorry to be so persistently unhelp-able!
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 1:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It is WLGS461 AND WLAGS4B1 THAT WILL INSTALL .

insert card then go to CONTROL PANEL, then NETWORK.

Scrool down til you see either one of the drives above then it will asked to reinsert the card.

You reinsert card, click, yes for power, the on the att looking icon in lower right.

go to tools, click edit wireless profile.

Click edit, make sure the network type is ACCESS POINT, click NEXT

Click SCAN for the connection you want, the next til you finished.

S/F<
CEYA!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-26 4:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I believe Isabel has already done this, as I've already described it in step 3).
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2009-04-27 9:36 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Sometimes if you repeat something differently, people tend to get it the second time around.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-27 5:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Ceya, but I did get it first time round. But as I explained to CEgeek, it don't work still!
It's kind of you to explain again though. And mostly I do appreciate being talked to very simply because I'm new to this, but I think I need something different. Please don't think I'm trying to stop folks giving me advice that they think is obvious, as it may not be to me ... but I generally can understand things after one good read. With my one big eyebrow furrowed and after a bit of monosyllabic muttering ....

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 4:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No problem. All this was new to me too not long ago.

Do you happen to know if the wireless router (modem) you're connecting to is set for B mode (or combined B and G mode)?

If you can't connect with DHCP enabled, maybe you'll have better luck entering the IP address manually:

1) Open the Command Prompt on your PC, type ipconfig, and press Enter. You should see three sets of digits and dots called IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway. The first and third of those should look like this: 192.168.x.x (with the first 'x' representing either 1 or 0, and the second 'x' representing a one-digit or two-digit number. The second number (Subnet Mask) should look something like this: 255.255.x.x.

2) Open Network in the Control Panel on the 720, select one of the Agere drivers, and then tap on "Properties." If enabling DHCP is checked, and if you've already tried that setting without success, try checking the other choice (to enter the IP address manually). Then enter the same numbers you saw in step 1) above for each of the values named (IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway - actually the Subnet Mask will enter itself automatically after you enter the IP address) - except change the number after the last dot in the IP address to something close to it (eg, if it was 45 above, try entering 44 instead).

Bear in mind something else: some brands of WiFi cards may work more reliably in Windows CE devices than others. With the Agere driver you're using, I use an ORiNOCO WiFi card produced by Agere Systems itself. A slightly earlier model produced by Lucent Technologies also works consistently for most CE device users who have tried it. A later version by Proxim, however, does not seem to work consistently with as many CE devices as the older Lucent or Agere versions. A lot of wireless-B cards are still available on eBay, often for very low prices. You might consider shopping around for a second card as a backup choice.
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 11:23 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I don't know whether the wireless network is B or G ... it's a shop below my flat belonging to my landlord, and he doesn't know anything about it. Even what provider he's got.
How do I open the command prompt? Sorry, I know I sound daft now. But... In the control panel / socket LP-E/EIO / there is a IP and subnet box, just as you described. But in default gateway it just says 0.0.0.0. Also there is a mac. address box, which is also set to 00000000000000. Shouldn't the mac no. correspond with the no written on my wifi card?

OK, I'm almost at the end of my already quite frayed tether. If I need a new card, what's the most reliable one to get? (This card was recommended on the yetanotherhomepage site. Thought it was safe!) I'll get myself on ebay tonight I think.

Thanks again for your patience and kindness! I can't wait to use the jornada more usefully.

Isabel
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 11:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

PS. mine's a compaq card. all these different names are confusing. What are company names, and what are types of card? or types of software? Who owns what/who?

no need to answer, just letting off steam! I am already making great use of the little machine anyway. Had no problem finding a CF card that worked, and doing lots of homework on it.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 13