x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help !!! Intallind agere drivers Jornada 720

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 6:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

When I refer to opening the Command Prompt, I'm talking about on your PC, not the 720. In Windows XP or Windows 2000, go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. In Windows 95 or 98, go to Start -> Programs -> MS-DOS Prompt. (I haven't used Vista yet, so I couldn't tell you where to navigate for the Command Prompt. However, another way is to go to Start -> Run, and type in cmd.exe.)

Here's an example of the ORiNOCO card I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-x-Used-Orinoco-Lucent-Avaya-Gold-PCMCIA-WiFi-Adapters_W0QQitemZ110381241126QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110381241126&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

This is the Lucent version. Try searching ORiNOCO on eBay, and you'll see lots of these cards. Anything with "ORiNOCO" in its name will work with the same driver you already installed for the WL-110.
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-29 5:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm on a mac, perhaps that's the problem... I can see my IP address in "system prefs" though. Strangely it says 10.0.0.3. subnet is 255.255.255.0, and router is 10.0.0.2
Does this make sense?

Looked on ebay, but there's not much in the UK. How does this dell one look? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-ORINOCO-GOLD-PCMCIA-WIFI-CARD-TRUEMOBILE-1150_W0QQitemZ150341027578QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Networking_SM?hash=item150341027578&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-29 8:02 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Actually those numbers do make sense - I got similar-looking ones when I browsed at a hotel and convention center while out of town this past weekend. Speaking of Mac, though, sometimes MAC filtering (not Mac as in Macintosh - this is a router setting I'm talking about) gets in the way with Agere-based cards. Check the user guide for your router to see how to disable MAC filtering (and to see how to make sure the router is set to B or B/G mode). If you don't have the user guide available, you may have to call tech support for the company that manufactures the router.

The TrueMobile card is a good card too.
 Top of the page
Isabel
Isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-04-30 8:52 AM
#
Thanks, I've got it. Will let you know how I do!

Isabel
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-01 6:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I think the driver itelf is the problem, because even with the new card it's doing the same thing. I can just about look into the agere client box to see that the IP address in "network troubleshooting" is not right (127.0.0.1) and then the prog shuts down on me again!

It's still saying "driver not loaded too, which I should have realised implies that the problem might not have been with the card after all.

I'm really beginning to run out of energy for this now. Why do these work for everyone else? (sorry, self pity....)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-01 3:45 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just to be sure: was the CAB file from the 7.82.881 download link under H/PC 2000 on the below page?

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0031.asp

Also, don't use the CAB named wireless.ARM720.cab - the 720 in that case refers to a type of ARM processor that the Jornada 720 doesn't use. The J720 uses a StrongARM SA-1110 processor, so you have to use the one named wireless.SA1100.cab.
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-02 2:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yes.
I've checked it a dozen times.

Also, I've got another jornada 720 with a battery that doesn't work, so yesterday I backed up everything onto a card and reinstalled all I could onto the other machine. I had the exact same problem! All I can think is:

There is a problem with the wireless router being programmed to not like my card's mac's (doubt this - as neither card is being recognised by the machine.)
There is a problem with the program, or I have somehow only installed part of it & not the other half?
There is a problem with BOTH computers' PC slots

How can the agere client say "driver not loaded"? isn't the driver all part and parcel of agere client? Does it refer to the card itself perhaps? neither card appears in the "devices" section of the system, though I was prompted to give a name for both when I first put them in. Also there are no lights coming on.

will try both cards in a friend's pc later today...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-02 3:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The driver is supposed to load automatically when you insert the card. However, the first of the three possibilities is not as unlikely as you expect, since both cards use the same driver. I'm thinking your router settings may not be compatible. Do you have a user guide for your router (or have you called tech support for the router as I suggested above)?
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-02 7:49 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've avoided this so far, because the router belongs to my landlord who owns the shop downstairs from me. I doubt he'd know much, and I wouldn't know where to start finding out for him, especially as his computer and the router sit in the middle of his shop! I am beginning to think a wire up the stairs might be easier when I'm at home. Or even using a friend's computer to test out... as long as they are compatible

The other thing is that there are other wireless networks in my area. If I'm not even able to use the card, how could I join them? I can't understand how one router nearby could stop my card working so that it can't even recognise the card!

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-02 7:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't hear that your card is not recognized - if that were the case, you'd get a small window asking for a driver name as soon as you put the card in the slot. If there are other unsecured networks in range, you can test them - or go to a free WiFi hotspot somewhere to see if you can connect to the network there.
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-03 3:02 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

There ARE other unsecured networks in the area, but I can't test them because agere client says "driver not loaded" and won't even look for them.
I know the dell card works because I tried it on a friend's computer yesterday.
When I first put the card in, it did ask for a CARD name, but I did't really think about it and wrote "wifi" for my own reference... do you think it meant driver? interestingly,the message came up the first 3 or so times I put in the card, but then stopped. Maybe I could somehow try re-naming the card?

again, thanks for your help. Big props for your patience too!
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-03 3:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oh ... to clarify ... the message came up on the 720, not my friend's pc.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-03 5:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Okay, then we may have found the problem. Uninstall the driver (using "Remove Programs" in the Control Panel), and then re-install it. Then insert the card again. When it asks for a driver name, type in wlags46. (Yes, when the little window says there's an unidentified card in the PC card slot, it's asking for a driver name.)
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-03 11:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

OK, that sounds like sense !

i've done it, but when I put the card in, no message comes up any more. So I tried doing a hard reset again and reinstalled the driver, put in the card... nothing. The card still doesn't appear as visible in the system . In fact, neither card. How can I reach the card at all?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12