x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Compaq 2930A (C-Series) (2010C) startup problem

[Frozen]
Frozen
AcidSnoop Page Icon Posted 2009-04-14 5:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello guys,

i have a little problem, maybe someone of you knows how to solve it. Yesterday i wanted to edit some files on the machine mentioned above wich was rejected by the statement that these files are located in the ROM.

Well after that i powered the machine off and noticed that the machine's backlight stays on permanently. I pulled the plug after a few minutes of waiting. (I'm currently refurbishing the machines battery)

I rebooted the machine and noticed that the compaq logo is shown correctly but right after that, when it's about to load the security app (password) i only got a blank white screen. For a short period of time i am able to click the touchscreen but after that i can only hear something when clicking the keyboard.

I dont know what to do, tried everything, soft- & hard-reset, i even went the machine powerless for 6 houres.

I belive that i messed up some of the settings, but as far as i know some of the settings are stored in a Flash-ROM and will be restored after a hard-reset. Is there a way to completly erase the settings to switch the machine back to factory state?

Maybe someone of you has a hint for this strange situation.
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-04-14 6:05 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hard reset means back to factory settings! Do you have password set? Did you try to set brightness of screen?
 Top of the page
AcidSnoop Page Icon Posted 2009-04-14 7:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yeah, everything checked...

And no, on this device the password and personal settings seems to be stored somewhere outside the normal RAM and will be reused after a hardreset...

This is my problem, so i'm looking for a way to erase this data. (If wrong settings are the cause of the symptoms.)
(If you do a hardreset on this machines, the password and personal data is still present but you must setup the machine from scratch.
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2009-04-14 9:19 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The Compaq C-Series use a non-erasable. encrypted password. To delete it, you need the Unlock Key Utility found here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&prodSeriesId=96215&prodNameId=96512&swItem=PSG_I9111-27869&swEnvOid=1023&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=3

or, if that doesn’t work, try:

http://tiny.cc/w0WFN

Hope this helps,

Rick
 Top of the page
rumen_s Page Icon Posted 2009-04-14 9:44 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yes,

Compaq C-Series has good security feature in form of additional 256k ROM chip where it stores passwords and backup of contacts, appointments, etc. As far as I know device settings are not kept in this specific ROM, so I think except password nothing else may be the reason! And the only way to bypass password is the unlock utility mentioned above. However, even so hard reset does its job and resets device to factory settings! Then device goes to password screen!

Edited by rumen_s 2009-04-14 9:50 AM
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2009-04-14 11:47 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

rumen_s - 2009-04-14 9:44 AM

However, even so hard reset does its job and resets device to factory settings! Then device goes to password screen!

According to an earlier thread on the same subject, you may have to enter the key several times. See:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2240&posts=23&highlight=Compaq%202010c%20system%20password&highlightmode=1#M23051

Rick
 Top of the page
AcidSnoop Page Icon Posted 2009-04-15 4:01 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yeah i know, used to use this C-Series Tool once or twice.

But to keep on the right direction, even if i asked about erasing the full machine, my problem is the white screen that apears and settings stored in this extra Rom where just an idea.

P.S.: Had the batteries and ac-plug out for nearly 24 hours still the same result. Compaq logo apears and right after this, when one normaly enters the password the machine's showing a white screen. (RAM or ROM error?, even if i don't know how this could have happened)
 Top of the page
Lozza
Lozza Page Icon Posted 2009-07-15 9:24 AM
#
The critical detail here is that after about 10 unsuccessfult attempts using the correct code against the correct serial number, as detailed elsewhere, the magic number expires. The C-series then resets the serial number in the dialog box to 123456. So, now you have to uninstall the unlock utility, re-install it entering '123456' as your serial number and then enter your details as mentioned in the post above. This now generates you a new unlock code from the new magic number that was generated on the C-series using the '123456' serial number. Once you have entered the new unlock key the C-series then tells you that the data will now be 'wiped' and you're away!
 Top of the page
itssmeeagainn Page Icon Posted 2009-09-30 4:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

AcidSnoop, I have the exact same problem.

Backlight works, Compaq logo appears, but after that, the screen goes blank and that's it. If I start an application from the keyboard shortcuts, I am able to see the window border animation, but that's it, a few rectangles zooming in.

If you managed to solve this issue, PLEASE post it.

I've spoken to HP support a year or so ago and they weren't able to help at all.
Cannot use the unlock utility since I don't have anything displayed on screen.
I've left the device (not being able to fix it) battery free (both battery types) for more than a year.
Now when I could really use the device, I can't get it to start properly. I can't even connect it to the laptop I used it with before.

Is there a way to reset this ROM manually by opening the device?
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 12