x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Notice On NEC MobilePro Audio Sockets

bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-06-03 12:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Unless NEC planned to sell millions of each MobilePro model a year, there is no way it would design, patent & make a propreitary audio socket and plug. The cost of setting up a production line for just a proprietary socket alone is huge. I notice that "compatible sets" in "short supply" are advertised and sold on eBay and elsewhere for grossly inflated prices and a dishonest S\H charge.

The NEC 2.55mm socket is simply a standard universal cell phone socket that will work a mic\earphone combination unit. Many dollar stores, Dollar Tree for sure, sells a perfectly good universal cell phone mic\earphone set for $1.00. It is made by the same maker whose sets (the same one) is sold in different packaging at Meijer and many K-mart type stores for $9 to $12!

I have a dollar store universal cell phone boom mic\earphone unit that cost me a huge $1.00 that works just as well in my NEC 780 as does the unit a friend bought on eBay for $6.95 "buy it now" plus $5.95 S\H and his is an earphone unit only!

If you track the three clowns who "offer" their odd looking "earsets" for NEC on eBay, they never list having more than 5 or 6 sets at a time. I could have purchased 80 superior sets at Dollar Tree Wednesday for $1 each. They also call them hard to find "NEC MobilePro" compatible ear sets! I would never buy anything from any of these clowns. They are dishonest. I asked two of them, whose ads are very slick & vague, if their units included a mic. One told me he has a mic\earphone unit he could sell me for $29. I told him I would sell him as many of these rare units as he wants for $5 each. He was not interested. Imagine that!

...Of course, this is all just my humble opinion...

--Bruised
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-03 3:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I did'nt think that there was any confusion on the fact that this was a stnadardised Jack format and not some proprietary standard.

They're not as common as 3.5 or 5 mill standards, but they've been around a darn site longer than as trendy cell phone accessories.

If you have a high quality set of phones you'd rather use - and can live without the Mic. Just get an adapter:
http://www.astarsolutions.co.uk/products/?pc=1184
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-06-04 1:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-06-03 12:01 PM
They're not as common as 3.5 or 5 mill standards, but they've been around a darn site longer than as trendy cell phone accessories.

No kidding.
I remember in the late 80's, they used to make credit card sized FM receivers They had button batteries and 2.5 mm headphone jacks. I was a curious kid back then, and couldn't find a single set of headphones in the house that would fit, except the one that came with the radio of course.

However, I think there was one microphone (for tape recorders) that had both the 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm pin. I'll try to remember to dig it up when I get back home
 Top of the page
Mercutio
Mercutio Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 1:39 PM
#
Just wanted to quickly post for everyone concerning this 2.5mm business. For those of you who want to use a better set of earphones, you can get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter all over the net and even at your local radioshack. Dollartree is great but I would prefer to listen with the earphones I already have laying around my house that are 3.5mm.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-07 5:34 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wasn't that what I said
 Top of the page
MobilePro User
MobilePro User Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 4:02 AM
#
But using these adapters still only gives sound out of one earbud. Is there any way to get the sound from both left and right earbuds? I know the MobilePro doesn't have stereo sound but I'd still like to hear the audio in both ears!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-08 7:30 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You would need to perform a crossover to do it, take the mono feed and split it into both channels. DIY job though.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9