x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netgear WG511 on J720

kingmirth Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 6:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, I just got my very fist Jornada 720 today, and I had a Netgear WG511 lying around, so I'm hoping I can get it to work. Upon inserting, nothing happens. I've tried googling around to no avail. I believe it has the Prism GT chipset, if this helps. Any ideas? (Also, anyone know if it would work under JLime?).
Thanks,
kingmirth
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 8:29 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

kingmirth - 2009-04-28 6:20 AM

Hi, I just got my very fist Jornada 720 today, and I had a Netgear WG511 lying around, so I'm hoping I can get it to work. Upon inserting, nothing happens. I've tried googling around to no avail. I believe it has the Prism GT chipset, if this helps. Any ideas? (Also, anyone know if it would work under JLime?).
Thanks,
kingmirth

Quick Google search shows that this is an 802.11g Cardbus device. As far as I know, there are no Windows CE devices that use Cardbus (32-bit) PCMCIA adapters. The Jornada definitely cannot use CardBus devices - it has to be a 16-bit PCMCIA card. There are also, as far as I know, no 16-bit PCMCIA cards for 802.11g - there are some that are 802.11b though. You should be able to find options listed in the HCL.
 Top of the page
kingmirth Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 9:21 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ah, I see, thank you very much.
You wouldn't happen to know what WiFi cards that are compatible support promiscuous mode, would you?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 6:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I have no idea what you mean by "promiscuous" mode - and I'm afraid to ask - but here's the HCL, with lots of compatible PCMCIA WiFi cards:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

promiscuous wifi cards are good for wifi network hacking.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-28 11:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Never heard that term before - kinda suggestive. Live and learn.
 Top of the page
kingmirth Page Icon Posted 2009-04-29 3:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Promiscuous/Monitor mode basically allows the wifi card to monitor packets outside of the network, which is required for WEP cracking (one of the reasons the made me buy a J720). I found a site before that listed what chipsets support it, but I can't seem to find it again.
There's a (now defunct) Cabletron Systems wifi card on ebay for £10, but as it's from around 2000, I doubt it would support such a mode, but then again, I have absolutely no idea. I'm guessing my only hope of finding out is to buy one and find out when it arrives.
Thanks for the compatible hardware list CE Geek, doesn't seem to be many of them cheaply available on ebay (UK) at the moment though. Going to have to play the waiting game.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-04-29 7:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

isotherm has a very good card for the 720, at a pretty good price when you factor in free shipping worldwide:

http://www.alpaxo.com/wlanmonitor/
 Top of the page
RTFM
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2009-04-29 8:01 PM
#
Your best best is to get a prism chipset based card if you want to use monitor mode (works on my prsim based card). Although i dont think you'll find any suitable software to crack wep keys for hpc2000. You'd be better off installing linux on your jornada so you could use things like kismet and aircrack.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
kingmirth Page Icon Posted 2009-05-01 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The only wlan card that I can find on ebay (<£10) is the Cisco Aironet 350, which of course uses the aironet chipset. No idea if it supports promiscuous mode, but I'll buy it and find out. Wish me luck ^_^ I intend to install jLime once my 4gb CF card arrives. Didn't think it would be possible to crack wep keys with CE3.
 Top of the page
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2009-05-20 6:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

In any cases It can help, I have a netgear and it works very well.
I made the cab drivers here with act. sync:
http://patrick295767.pa.funpic.org/jornada/myhardware/working_great/MA401/
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2009-05-20 7:52 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I have the same netgear 401, and use it with my J-720 on my teaching days at the university, where users have to register the MAC address to get on-line. It works fine, but the LEDs, or lack thereof, are a disappointment. The fabled Orinoco tells me not only the card's status, but also when I'm receiving/sending data. With the 401, not so much. Still, the 401 is a good secondary card since you can set it up for a certain network, rather than starting up the config program every time you need to switch services.

I also have the Netgear WG511 which I've used in laptops, and I think its software is pretty much junk. It eats a lot of resources and the setup program has to be loaded upon boot in order to find and accept an already-established network. With the Orinoco, for example, you just shove it in, and it finds the network right off. You run the setup program only when switching networks.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2009-05-20 7:54 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 13