x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Netbook Pro - Locking Up

Rickman Page Icon Posted 2009-05-02 4:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi - I have been trying to get my MBP into a position where I can use it for travelling rather than a laptop. I have installed Redgear and Opera which all seems OK and works via a wireless connection.

I have then loaded the watcher program which is the driver for the Sierra Wireless 850 card that I have. I have trid this with the file from the "HCL" and from the Sierra website. But on both occassions when the NBP is turned off it will not come back on and when the case is closed the red light comes on at the front.

Also on the toolbar on the screen after this loading there is a icon which is 4 or 5 black dots which is from the wireless WAN program which I think only came onto the NBP after I was experimenting with another 3G card.

I have reloaded the OS a few times and the above was done with a clean OS.

Any help would be appreciated
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-02 4:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Some of what you describe doesn't sound like a problem - I have the wireless WAN program (and the set of dots in the system tray) even though I haven't tried any other card (I have a Sierra 860 as I'm in the US); and the red light is supposed to go on when you power off - it's saving registry changes before going into suspend mode. It won't wake from suspend until this is completed - and sometimes the red light stays on for several seconds. Are you saying it won't wake from suspend at all, even after the red light goes off?
 Top of the page
Rickman Page Icon Posted 2009-05-02 10:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I always wondered what the red light was for ! I noticed that it only comes on when I shut the case when I have the option ticked under power for switching off when the case is closed. Anyway with those power options selected I have turned the NBP off and closed the case. The Red Light came on. After 2 hours it was still on !!

In all cases the only way to get the NBP to switch back on is to remove the main battery. Is there any way of really removing the OS completely. I have tried using the "!" option under the start up menu.
 Top of the page
Rickman Page Icon Posted 2009-05-12 2:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Further to these "problems" I have done a bit of experimenting. I downloaded the watcher program for the Sierra 750 card and loaded it - this then did not give me the problems that I had experienced before. So I bought a card off Ebay anyway at 5.50 GBP it was not a big expenditure !! This seems to work OK.

One thing I have noticed is that the Redgear "appers" to conflict with the Softmaker Office. With the Redgear running the Softmaker will not open, with it off it opens OK.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 41 - Executed queries : 30