x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How do I rename / reset a pc card?

isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-04 4:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I accidentally gave the card the wrong name when I first inserted it, and now my jornada 720 won't even acknowledge its existence. I've got the driver installed but can't get that far... how can I reset the card with the driver's name?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-05-04 5:33 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You need to go into the registry and delete the information that you provided, along with the pnpID for the card.

It is ominous that it isn't now working, usually if the driver is wrong, you would expect hpc2000 to reject it.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-04 1:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It might help to explain where to find that in the registry. FWIW, I believe Isabel is talking about a WiFi card. However, she has already hard reset the device and gotten the same result, so I'm wondering if the card needs to be reset. (Don't WiFi cards retain some data from the devices in which they've been used?)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-05-04 10:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2009-05-04 7:43 PM

It might help to explain where to find that in the registry. FWIW, I believe Isabel is talking about a WiFi card. However, she has already hard reset the device and gotten the same result, so I'm wondering if the card needs to be reset. (Don't WiFi cards retain some data from the devices in which they've been used?)

no the card doesn't store such data

i don't think she hard reset or maybe she entered the name wrong again

or the pccmia slot died
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 2:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I took out main power, and the backup and main battery - that's a hard reset, right?

Don't think the pcmcia slot can be dead, because I tried it on 2 jornada 720's with the same result
I know that 1 card at least does work in other computers - could try renaming it in there? (I've not tried it, as I've got no such slot on my own compter, and will have to wait and use a friend's.)

thanks all, for your help
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 11:30 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well... Maybe the card is dead?)
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 2:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

don't think so, because it worked in a different computer (and I've tried 2 cards)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 4:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Isabel, is the card a 16bit card? A 32bit card may fit in the slot, and work with a laptop, but it won't work with your Jornada. What is the exact model/make of your card that won't work?
 Top of the page
isabel Page Icon Posted 2009-05-06 1:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

One is a compaq w110, one is a dell gold truemobile. As far as I know, both are 16 bit.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2009-05-06 10:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hmmm...both are 16 bit from what I read, the Dell is the Orinoco Gold clone and the W110 is a trusty old goodie as well. I know it works using the Agere reference dlls, because I've done that before...

Perhaps the pins are not making a good connection or are bent in the pcmcia receiver....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-06 7:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's a thought. The pins that receive and transmit file data to and from the card are not the same as the ones that transmit WiFi signals. Sometimes one or more may recede slightly in their recesses, or foreign matter (dust, etc) may accumulate on one or more pins and prevent a solid connection. Have a look at the pins in the PCMCIA slot, and see any look out of place. If not, a long, narrow, soft-bristled brush may clean any dust that may have accumulated on the pins.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.169 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12