x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP Jornada 720 Issues

dougzy Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 12:12 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I have been using the J720 fairly heavily since I received it two weeks ago, and have been having some problems. The screen issue mentioned in a different post sorted it's self out but there is a new problem. I was installing some software when the hpc froze, and after pushing reset it started and showe the hp logo but when the desktop appeared nothing responded and it couldn't be suspended. There was also a plug icon in the taskbar showing which never previously appeared. To sort this out it requires a hard reset but it has occured several times now and has led to me losing data as restoring the backup only causes the problem again. Any help would be greatly appreciated
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 12:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have you run out of program memory? Keep an eye on the meter in System in the control panel
 Top of the page
dougzy Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 3:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Will that cause the crash? Would reducing the system memory too low cause that effect also?

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 4:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you run out of ram, CE will keel over as described.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 9:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The plug icon is supposed to mean that it's connected to AC power (and the battery is fully charged), but it sounds like the device freezes as soon as it gets to the CE desktop. If possible, it's a good idea to set the slider on the Memory tab in Control Panel -> System to no less than 1 MB of storage memory. If that leaves you with only a few MB of program memory, then you'll want to look into whether some of your non-driver programs can be moved from internal RAM to a Storage Card.
 Top of the page
dougzy Page Icon Posted 2009-05-24 7:31 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I often have a lot of system memory as I use a cf card for storage but the problem seems to lie when I set the program memory to too small so when something tries to use more space than I have allocated it crashes. I'm no expert but I think the root of the issue is setting program memory too low, so from now on I'm leaving at least 4 meg free at all times.

My issue was with lack of program memory rather than lack of system memory, anyway I need 21 meg system memory to run quake

Edited by dougzy 2009-05-24 7:33 PM
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2009-05-31 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Elite

You said you were installing "some software". Some Pocket PC software (and not compatible with HPC) can exhibit some of the installation issues you mention.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.136 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9