x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 Keyboard issues

mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 1:26 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have been having keyboard issues with my Jornada 720s. In December, my best working 720 dveloped a keyboard issue: every key except the on/off key functions as an on/off key, but the on/off key does nothing. I swapped keyboards from my backup 720 (headphone jack non-functional), and this worked for a while. This keyboard problem remains with the keyboard. Then the backlight controller went out. I verified this by using the controller from a Jornada 690. I switched keyboards back and used my backup 720. A week ago Sunday the keyboard stopped working on the backup 720. It was a rainy day, but I had the machine in my rain pants zipped pocket. After getting back from an outdoor event, only the on/off key works. Occasionally, the keyboard will self enter text. I bought another 720 keyboard, and tried it in both units. Both the new keyboard and the keyboard from the backup 720 have only on/off function in both 720s. The 690 keyboard works in both units, except the Q row does not work! I am presently trying to "dry out" the backup Jornada keeping it in a plastic bag with a silica packet. I am looking for any other troubleshooting tips to try. Am I just not getting the keyboard connector in correct?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-05-05 9:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, it sounds like the zippered pocket in the rain pants didn't keep all the moisture out. As I've found out, it doesn't take a lot of moisture to make the Jornada keyboard act quirky. A light blow-dry may help if you have a blow dryer with multiple speed settings (set to lowest speed).
 Top of the page
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2009-06-15 11:32 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Well, the first keyboard replacement had the same issue - only the on/off key worked. But the second keyboard, a 690 type, is fully functional. I backed everything up, restored on the unit with the good headphone jack, installed the 690 keyboard, and life is good once again!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.144 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8